Question Computer popped help

Yolo64mens

Dec 27, 2020
I was on my computer's bios and I was toying around with the color settings for a fan. The strange thing was the fan would only turn red so we kept toying with it and then we heard a pop and the fan started changing to other colors finally. Then all of a sudden I smelled a burning sensation and turned off the computer and moved it away from the wall. Early in the day the fan on my graphics card was moving very fast. Also recently when I leave my computer on the display does not work after the computer turning off itself, so I have to reset it everytime. Is this a battery problem or a MOBO problem. HELP!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you heard a "pop" sound, that usually indicates a capacitor (either in the PSU or on the motherboard) went bad. Of course, there are a number of components in those items that could have burned out / became damaged.

You might want to take it to a PC repair shop for them to look at it, otherwise you can use a flashlight and try to find it yourself. Be aware, don't open the PSU and began poking around in it without knowing what you are doing, as they carry a lethal charge (even after being powered off for a while).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Also, now that I thought a little more about it, some RGB fans use a different header that uses more power than a typical fan header provides. Maybe the one you have falls into that (just a thought since I have no idea of the hardware model numbers of your build)?

Reactions: Yolo64mens