Computer Lab Jobs...anyone ever have this job before ?

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Hey Guys,
Im a Freshman at Central Piedmont CC. So far i love it there, and its a great place to be. I applied and got a interrview for a Computer Lab Facilitator/Analyst and i think im going to end up getting this job (hope i do !) Has anyone ever had a job like this before, if so, how was your experience, since im working with my own school are there any benefits ? transcript info etc ?
from what i know, i think the pay is around $9/hr and max you can work is 20 hours. My cousin did the same job about 8 years ago and got paid $9-10. So could it be better now ?
Thanks guys !

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
So you are the guy that loads paper into the printer and fixes paper jams...right?

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Originally posted by: nick1985
So you are the guy that loads paper into the printer and fixes paper jams...right?

hahah...from what i know, not really, more than that
i tried getting a technical repair type job, but that wasnt available lol

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
I believe other job duties include kicking people off for watching pr0n and not being sure why the network is so slow.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: nick1985

The computer lab people here do exactly that.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I worked for a foreign language computer lab. My job was to hit on the chicks that came in.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Simple and basic job, just some extra cash on the side. It's not glorious or anything, but it's easy money and you can probably just sit around doing whatever you want.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
i need some money, and comp lab seems good, i can do my hw while in there and stuff as well too
so thats cool

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
It is a good job while in school since you can sit at a desk and study while waiting for someone to ask for help. People ask for help with the most random things and a help desk person, that cares, soon becomes adept at solving many problems. I had so many people come to me for help with recovering their files they accidentally deleted that I soon learned how to recover files. This skill came in very handy later as I moved on in school and people would lose their files for various reasons.

Another aspect is being a widely recognized helpful face that people remember years later. Now as a university graduate, I work with one of the part-time teachers that I remember talking with as a lab tech while I studied at my local community college. This was a good hook up opportunity since I walked into a new job with a good reputation before me, partly due to already being known as a hard and helpful worker.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Originally posted by: chusteczka
It is a good job while in school since you can sit at a desk and study while waiting for someone to ask for help. People ask for help with the most random things and a help desk person, that cares, soon becomes adept at solving many problems. I had so many people come to me for help with recovering their files they accidentally deleted that I soon learned how to recover files. This skill came in very handy later as I moved on in school and people would lose their files for various reasons.

Another aspect is being a widely recognized helpful face that people remember years later. Now as a university graduate, I work with one of the part-time teachers that I remember talking with as a lab tech while I studied at my local community college. This was a good hook up opportunity since I walked into a new job with a good reputation before me, partly due to already being known as a hard and helpful worker.

thats awesome, thats something id like to get from this type of job as well

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I worked as a lab monitor for 3 years of college and it was the best job ever for a student. The hours were very flexible, and I could just do my homework the entire time. It was an engineering computer lab, so all of the users were fairly competent and rarely did anyone ask me for help. The toner and paper were even stored in a publically-accessable closet, so half the time I wasn't even the one who refilled the printers.