Question Computer is dead. What now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
That processor has built in graphics. Just run it without the videocard.
I once had a system refuse to boot from a bad sound card, never expected that, and had RMA'ed the MB and memory!
So I'm sure a bad GPU could cause issues.

BTW, AMD has only stated they will support AM5 through 2025. So that's no reason to go with AMD. Although my current preference is AMD, both platforms will be obsolete soon.

Reactions: lakedude
Jul 27, 2020
They are releasing CPUs on AM4 even in 2024. AM5 may not get Zen 6 but it sure is gonna be supported till 2028 at the very least. To not do so would be so not AMD of them.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
They are releasing CPUs on AM4 even in 2024. AM5 may not get Zen 6 but it sure is gonna be supported till 2028 at the very least. To not do so would be so not AMD of them.
Maybe, but there is no gaurantee:

Point was, he'll need a new socket no matter which he goes with by the time he upgrades again.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
@igor_kavinski is expressing the optimistic possibility based on recent history; nobody knows with certainty what AMD will do going forward. But there's no universe where the situations are identical. LGA 1700 is literally a dead end, so you can enjoy your Intel 13th gen or 13th gen refresh if you prefer. :p

Ryzen 7000 is the first series on AM5, so you're going to get at least one more family of CPUs on that socket. Now whether this has any practical benefit ultimately depends. If you went entry-level this time with a 7600X, would you come back in 2026 to swap in a "9800X3D" (presumed name)?
But if you started off now with a 7950X3D, then you're probably "stuck" until at least Zen 6.

Considering Zen 5 isn't even launched yet, I don't agree that we should say AM5 will be obsolete soon. We just don't know how much runway it'll ultimately give you.

Anyway, it's moot for OP. He went with Alder Lake and DDR4.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson