Computer Freezes as soon as I try to install any OS

Renegade23216

Apr 30, 2003
I have a Gateway computer with a Core Duo CPU.

There is nothing on the hard drive. But every time I try to install Windows XP, or Ubuntu, it freezes within the first 10-seconds of the installation process... as soon as it starts doing anything, the computer will freeze... regardless which OS.

I tested the memory, and it seems fine.

The CPU temp was at 53 Celsius according to BIOS. Is that too hot? I noticed this computer came with only a very large heat sink from the factory, but no fan of any sort. I wonder if it's heating up?

I could not run a CPU test because every time I insert the Ultimate Boot CD-ROM, it gives the error "Error loading OS."

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Renegade23216

Apr 30, 2003
I've done that. It didn't help. I go the CPU temp down to 47 celcius by putting a large fan next to the case... but it still froze trying to install Ubuntu and Windows XP... within the first 10-seconds of install... as soon as it tries to load anything..

I might have to take it to the local PC shop to troubleshoot it.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I would look at the BIOS settings. Some motherboards have a boot sector protection option that will keep an operating system from installing until that option is turned off. It's to protect against boot sector viruses.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
are you making a boot floppy for the SATA controller so that during install you can press F6 to allow for the drivers to be installed?

cuti7399

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2003
try the fail safe settings in bios, sometimes o/c will result that. is the install disc dirty? that happen to me before. Also the dvd drive, try a different one! good luck

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I'm probably way out in left field here, but......

every time I insert the Ultimate Boot CD-ROM, it gives the error "Error loading OS."

I thought Boot discs like these ran from the RAM, and if that's the case, wouldn't it point to bad RAM?

How did you test the memory?