Question computer equipment needed to take adantage of 4k

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
If I am going to start using 4k capable hunting trail cameras, will I gain any benefit from the trail camera's enhanced 4k capabilities if I don't upgrade my computer components (i.e. video card, monitor, various motherboard components) to 4k capabilities ?

Thanks.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If your question is whether or not you can watch 4k content on a non-4K display and oldish hardware, then the answer is yes, you can, most likely. Is this 4k/30 or 4k/60 that your camera can record?

For the latter, you might need to upgrade if you want "everything," but I suspect 4k video isn't going to be a problem for most ~oldish hardware.

If you want to watch 4k content at 4k, then obviously the minimum you need is a display capable of 4k resolution, and a GPU (or APU and motherboard) capable of outputting 4k via the proper port (I think HDMI 2.1 is minimum? I forget...maybe less. HDMI2.1 may actually be for HDR...).

You'd need to post your current setup so people that are way smarter than I can advise on needed upgrades.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Provided your computer isn't really old, you can watch the video fine. If you really want to take advantage of the increased visuals, a 4K monitor would be handy, but certainly not required. This would also require your computer to support 4K output, but we would need a few more details to give you a yes/no on that.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
If you do not have a 4k Display to watch the 4k content, there's not going to be a whole lot to be gained from the 4k Cameras for your current computer setup, however...

Even if you don't have a 4k Display:

1) your computer will still most likely play the 4k content, it'll just be downsized in resolution to match your display. If your computer is ancient, it may not be able to decode the 4k content quickly enough to be playable, though. If you're on windows, you could type in the search/run box "dxdiag" and tell us the CPU from the first tab ("System" tab) that opens, and the graphics/GPU device from the "Display" tab. The community will be able to provide further guidance from there.

2) you will still be able to upload to YouTube or other Streaming platforms the 4k content. Even if your computer can't display it in all its glory, others can still enjoy the 4k content.

3) you'll still be able to use video editing software to edit or splice together 4k content, for later, to be uploaded, or just to archive.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If you do not have a 4k Display to watch the 4k content, there's not going to be a whole lot to be gained from the 4k Cameras for your current computer setup, however...

He will still get far more detail, and be able to make out things that otherwise he may not be able to at 1080P.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
While I don't disagree that there will be a better picture, because of a supersampling effect happening in the downsizing to the monitor, but you're still talking about 1920x1080 vs 3840x2160... 4x the pixels. The 1080 screen can only display 1/4th of the pixels from the 4k content. Hence my comment that there won't be a whole lot to be gained. I'm not saying nothing is gained, and maybe with the help of your comment, that becomes more clear for the OP.

Oct 19, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the answer to his question be "Yes, you will see benefit" if the recording is in 4k and then during playback he has the need/ability to zoom in on details? You don't need 4k playback to experience this benefit, a 4k recording will give you sharper detail if you zoom in - even on a 1080p monitor, won't it?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the answer to his question be "Yes, you will see benefit" if the recording is in 4k and then during playback he has the need/ability to zoom in on details? You don't need 4k playback to experience this benefit, a 4k recording will give you sharper detail if you zoom in - even on a 1080p monitor, won't it?

Thats kind of what I was trying to get at. Even if playing back at 1080P, he can zoom in and see more details.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
This answer is complex, and we're all giving fairly layman answers. We'd need to know something about the compression being used and the quality of the sensor on the cameras, as well. It might be mostly a wash on his 1080p screen all things factored for normal viewing. If he's doing zoom, or some kind of motion stabilization where the outer pixels are all throw away, I'm sure there's lots to be gained. But, sorry I'm not as eager to give that "yes you'll see a benefit" answer; I don't know the hardware he's buying or bought for 4k, I don't know his computer setup, and I don't know his use-case.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry