Compulsive throat clearers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
After listening to the guy clear his throat for 30 minutes I plugged my ear that is facing him with my finger. That helped a lot.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I honestly feel like I need anxiety medicine to cope with these people across the hall from me. I'm always tense at work because I'm cringing every time I hear these fools that don't know how to take medicine or blow their nose.

Frankly it sounds like you may need that anxiety medicine, just because.

Even if repetitive and annoying, small things driving you crazy means the problem isn't with the small things, it's with you. Most people can get along just fine and eventually ignore it, but if you're constantly bottling it up and letting it drive you crazy, that is nobody's fault but your own. I say this as someone who also has experienced that in the past, letting little things drive me absolutely batshit. Expecting the world to change around you is not the way to go about life, it is not healthy nor productive.

Reactions: infinitereality

infinitereality

Dec 10, 2018
Frankly it sounds like you may need that anxiety medicine, just because.

Even if repetitive and annoying, small things driving you crazy means the problem isn't with the small things, it's with you. Most people can get along just fine and eventually ignore it, but if you're constantly bottling it up and letting it drive you crazy, that is nobody's fault but your own. I say this as someone who also has experienced that in the past, letting little things drive me absolutely batshit. Expecting the world to change around you is not the way to go about life, it is not healthy nor productive.

Yep like I said it's partially my fault as well. I could not let it bother me or they could stop, I could take medicine or they could take medicine.

infinitereality

Dec 10, 2018
You know what's more awful? Living with a throat / sinus problem.

Tell me about it, been there and done that and lived like that for 30yrs...and did something about it. I had really bad allergies and a deviated septum. I had my nasal cavity "roto-routered" (for lack of the proper medical term). Around the same time I started allergy shots for 2-3yrs. It was little embarrassing because every week I got shots I was the oldest person getting them, also a pain doing them sometimes 2x per week after work. Doing something about my issues, especially the shots, was best decision ever.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No throat clearers at work but we have a couple coughers (and they do it loudly, without covering their mouth). If you have a cough like that for multiple weeks: something's not right. Get it fucking looked at for chrissake. It bothers my coworker more than it does me I think though, lol. But what bothers me more is the guy who's on the phone 85% of the time, who's naturally a loudmouth. Ugh. It's too bad he doesn't use the work-from-home ability like some others do. God that would be glorious.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I honestly feel like I need anxiety medicine to cope with these people across the hall from me. I'm always tense at work because I'm cringing every time I hear these fools that don't know how to take medicine or blow their nose.

There's a real condition for this. It has something to do with sudden loud sounds causing anxiety. Buy yourself some nice headphones and work with either noise cancellation or music playing if your work allows for it.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I had my nasal cavity "roto-routered" (for lack of the proper medical term).

It's comical to visualize that. :D

My doctor growing up had suggested that that "roto-rooter" approach wasn't really worthwhile in the end, as he had noted patients needing to get it done "routinely" more often than not, and that it also carried risks. Now I honestly never investigated further, you just got me starting to think about it now, more than a decade later. I should do some research.

I also had allergy tests done, but it was only a basic test in the end, I think. It only had like 20 different allergens and only ragweed showed up in the realm of significance to them, and even then on the low end... though I remember seeing many smaller bumps that were below the threshold, but not every single test had even that reaction. It's supposed to be normal, which would make sense considering at least some immune activity is always occurring around foreign stuff getting pricked into your skin, but I can't help but wonder if that's enough when combined with perhaps overactive sinuses?

When I had that allergy test done is was during the search for causes to the start of potential hearing loss. I think they actually diagnosed it as a middle-ear issue, having to do with the tiny stapes bone, but it may have been inconclusive. Can't remember now. But anyway, they also started wondering about allergies and the impacts that could have on the Eustachian tube. Put me on flonase but I never got into the habit of taking that every single day.

And I swear I am super allergic to my dog lol but yet the tests a few years back put the dog dander allergy test result below the minimum response level, same with the cats. But I've always known that, at minimum, my eye allergies are high with cats and to some extent dogs. Past family dog I had during the time of the test I had mild reactions too but only when really roughing and forgetting to wash hands. But I feel like my current dog has me going non-stop. I need to look into more testing and make sure I cover everything...

infinitereality

Dec 10, 2018
There's a real condition for this. It has something to do with sudden loud sounds causing anxiety. Buy yourself some nice headphones and work with either noise cancellation or music playing if your work allows for it.

I am fortunate enough to be able to wear headphones at work, but don't all the time due to phone calls or discussing stuff at work or just don't put them right back on afterwards and have to hear it. I use to enjoy wearing them, but when you feel forced to wear them it doesn't make it near as enjoyable. Where Snotty sits, he projects his loud sounds directly into my office which is even worse. Just has no regard to people around him, to me it seems he can at least keep his mouth shut when he clears it to reduce the volume.

My doctor growing up had suggested that that "roto-rooter" approach wasn't really worthwhile in the end, as he had noted patients needing to get it done "routinely" more often than not, and that it also carried risks. Now I honestly never investigated further, you just got me starting to think about it now, more than a decade later. I should do some research.

You're correct it, it sometimes goes back to the way it was after a period of time. In my case, years later it's still better than it was before the surgery though.....but not near as good as it was right after. I have had cervical fusion 3x and this roto-rooter procedure was WAY worse, at least first couple of days. That was complete misery for sure, but man I could breathe awesome when they pulled the braces out of it a week or so later. Wife said I didn't snore for a long time, although that's not the case anymore. One thing they don't do anymore isthey didn't stuff gauze up there, they use some sort of brace (like a popsicle stick) so wasn't painful getting it pulled back out.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
I remember the rhinoplasty/turbinate surgery thing quite well. After they yanked out the splints after a week of hell (which I were amazed something that big could fit up in there) they suction your mucus out.

What an odd feeling that was. Felt like they were sucking out your brain.

Reactions: infinitereality

infinitereality

Dec 10, 2018
I remember the rhinoplasty/turbinate surgery thing quite well. After they yanked out the splints after a week of hell (which I were amazed something that big could fit up in there) they suction your mucus out.

What an odd feeling that was. Felt like they were sucking out your brain.

SPLINTS! I couldn't recall that word this morning to save my life, should have grabbed some coffee first, lol. Yep they did same thing to me, extremely odd feeling of sucking the mucus out. Dr told me to breath slowly after removal as I may get lightheaded from extra airflow. Can't say I'd ever voluntarily go through that hell again, but did help big time for a bit and still have positive effects from it.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
After the nose hose for about a week or two I had to amazing sense of smell ever. It was weird.

infinitereality

Dec 10, 2018
After the nose hose for about a week or two I had to amazing sense of smell ever. It was weird.
My smell never returned. Not that I ever could really smell good as far as I can remember. Least my farts don't stink, lol.