compound interest vs. fee

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Which do you think is a better system for loaning money (given no central bank)?

I think compound interest is but only because it would deter people from borrowing too much.

Loaning where only a fee may be charged is good for debtors, but I think it would cause more borrowing than saving.

Of course, compound interest is only a problem because of central banking. People often have no choice but to borrow due to inflation eating savings and they pay compound interest because of that. High time preference also causes people to borrow a lot of money, but the loaning of money would be reduced by 1/2 if there were a finite money supply (assuming that high time preference in society is as much as inflation).

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Anarchist420, did you put yourself in credit card debt and now whining like a little baby over the interest?

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
What about renting to own?

The compound interest system makes it so that you could pay millions on a thousand dollar loan if you go long enough without paying.

Nobody is forcing you to sign up for a loan, just save up and pay in full if you think interest/fees are too much.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I would presume as an anarchist OP is totally against any sort of lending regulation and would let the "free market" resolve the question he raises. Along the same lines government has absolutely no say in whether or not I borrow "too much" or even if I just say FU to the lender's desire that I actually pay them back.

beachchica

Mar 10, 2013
What about renting to own?

The compound interest system makes it so that you could pay millions on a thousand dollar loan if you go long enough without paying.

Millions seems like an exaggeration. Assuming you were able to pay. Why wouldn't you make your payments? And if you were unable to pay there's always the option of bankruptcy.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Millions seems like an exaggeration. Assuming you were able to pay. Why wouldn't you make your payments? And if you were unable to pay there's always the option of bankruptcy.
If I bought a car for $1k on a loan with 10% compound interest then it would be over 400k if I didn't pay until I was 95.

Last edited:

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
If I bought a car for $1k on a loan with 10% compound interest then it would be over 400k if I didn't pay until I was 95.

If you bought a car for $1K on a loan with a $7K fee for each year you don't pay it would be over $400K if you didn't pay until you were 95!

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I was thinking effective yield for some reason :p I think I misread the OP.

Yea I didn't intend to be mean, just blunt.

I guess what the OP is trying to say is that exponential functions are dumb even if they are very small because as we let them run amok over time the economy becomes distorted.