Component to VGA... Would such a device work in sending HD content...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MCrusty
Are you talking about RGB-HV component? or yPbPr component?

yPbPr, from an HD Cable Box.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
You would need a transcoder to convert it to RGB-HV then. VGA and RGB-HV component are the same thing signal wise, but different because of the connectors.

I currently have the opposite of what you are trying to do.. i think.

Radeon 7000 -> VGA -> RGB-HV Component -> HDTV

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex

Uh, isnt there a VGA input on the back of pretty much every monitor? :D

Wait a moment. Are you talking about capturing HD content on the computer or using your monitor as a HDTV? If so, there are VGA boxes that do 480p. I have yet to see anything higher though.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
You would need a transcoder to convert it to RGB-HV then. VGA and RGB-HV component are the same thing signal wise, but different because of the connectors.

A transcoder like this? http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/x...Z3-ComponenttoVGA-Transcoder-Review/p1

What i want to do is;

HD Cable Box ---> Component --> (Transcoder?) ----> VGA ---> LCD

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex

A transcoder like this? http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/x...Z3-ComponenttoVGA-Transcoder-Review/p1

What i want to do is;

HD Cable Box ---> Component --> (Transcoder?) ----> VGA ---> LCD

That seems to be what you want, so long as your monitor supports the resolutions that it outputs. It says Standard VGA so I see no reason it won't work.

I wonder how the quality of it is...

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
I know that regular CRT monitors can put out some pretty decent HD quality stuff. A good example is the useof xbox-to-vga converters that are out on the market. They allow for HD gaming at much lower cost. It should, in theory, work just fine.

This is what I am talking about, for xbox.

That is basically the same device as above, except it has the XBOX input instead of standard yPbPr inputs.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Excelsior
I know that regular CRT monitors can put out some pretty decent HD quality stuff. A good example is the useof xbox-to-vga converters that are out on the market. They allow for HD gaming at much lower cost. It should, in theory, work just fine.

This is what I am talking about, for xbox.

That is basically the same device as above, except it has the XBOX input instead of standard yPbPr inputs.

Then yeah, it should work fine.

Penth

Mar 9, 2004

What kind of HDTV do you have? 720P or 1080i? What resolution do you run at. I've got a 1080i TV and it seems my only choices are 1920x1080 (which is a bit too much for my Radeon 9600) and 640x480. I'd love to get something in the middle if it's possible.