Completely confused by login accounts in Windows

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've never fully grasped this for years, and it's starting to annoy me that I don't understand it. Logging into Windows...

My wife and I use our computer as a computer for various things, none of which requires us to have separate "experiences" on Windows. We use all the same programs and settings because we simply don't see our computer as something that needs to be personalised for each of us the way one might want a work terminal personalised or secure from other users. I have a profile selector set up for email (in both Thunderbird and Outlook) but other than that it seems pointless to us to use our computer in separate ways.

However, increasingly, Windows presents situations where one logs in especially with Windows 8. So because we're forced to, we always just create and account called "Home, Home" and use it. I'd prefer to remove the entire concept of logging in because it's useless to us. In any event, SkyDrive now complicates this a bit further and all of this has become a bigger issue since our desire to move to a Windows Phone.

Finally the questions... (sorry
orly.png
)
1. What exactly are these Windows logins for and why would I want that interface? I don't think I get the benefit of this.
2. SkyDrive/Live accounts seem to permeate throughout Windows now from Bing to Office, etc. and so... If my wife ends up with her own Live account for her phone and me with mine, how will we both use one common SkyDrive account where we share several documents, budget spreadsheets, photos etc? We do this now with Dropbox and Springpad. Is there a way to do this where we share one SkyDrive but still have our phone accounts? I can't imagine the annoyance of having to copy all our shared content to both accounts back and forth.
3. On the desktop and laptop would we basically be logging in and out all the time? What are the live accounts providing access to on bing anyway?
4. Office is something where we both utilise several of the same documents. When she's logged in do my documents not show up? Sorry to be so confused, I just don't get the implementation.

Any help would be awesome. Thank you!

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
It works exactly the way you'd think. If you're logged in you see your stuff, if she's logged in she'll see her stuff. You can configure common folders you can both access and just store everything there. You can share stuff between skydrive accounts so you don't have to copy anything not sure if you can do it on a directory level.

It sounds like you want a generic MS account for both of you. You should be able to link that account to both your windows phones and access everything that way.