Question complete - best cpu is 2200 even after 3+ years... slow industry apparently, and 1600 if going for discrete gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpfulthings

Dec 18, 2019
complete -

best cpu is 2200 even after 3+ years... slow industry apparently, and 1600 if going for discrete gpu

what's the best site that shows tests about which cpu around the same price is better than this?

looks like this 2200g thing came out early 2018

been over 2 years now that an extremely long time im assuuming there should be something better than that by now ?

this was recommended by 1 person, that 1 person knew alot about cpus, its the best cpu that there was

there's very very very few ppl on this entire web that actually knows alot about any given topic

what's the best site that shows tests about which cpu around the same price is better than this?

Thread locked to save OP from himself.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
There is a "Bench" section on the main AnandTech site which will allow you to compare processors head-to-head.

If you need integrated graphics on the CPU, the 3400G is a small upgrade over the 2200G. If you have a dedicated video card, then a 3700X or other Ryzen 3000 series CPU would be a substantial upgrade over the older 2200G.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
what's a good site that shows which cpu is better than this around the same price range?

looks like this 2200g thing came out early 2018

been over 2 years now im assuuming there should be something better than that by now ?

this was recommended by 1 person, that 1 person knew alot about cpus, its the best cpu that there was

there's very very very few ppl on this entire web that actually knows alot about any given topic

what's a good site that shows which cpu is better than this around the same price range?
I second the recommendation to use Anandtech's bench.

Recommendation on specific CPU depends on what it'll be used for.

Assuming you are in the US and have access to MicroCenter:

Budget $60
2200G $60

Budget $80-85
If you want integrated graphics: 3200G $80
If you don't need integrated graphics: i3-9100F $85 or Ryzen 1600 $80

Budget up to $135
If you want integrated graphics: 2400G $120 or i3-9100 $120 or 3400G $135
If you don't need integrated graphics: Ryzen 2600 $110 or 2600X $115 or i5-9400F $130

4 thread CPUs: 2200G $60, 3200G $80, 9100F $85, 9100 $120
6 thread CPUs: 9400F $130
8 thread CPUs: 2400G $120, 3400G $135
12 thread CPUs: 1600 $80, 2600 $110, 2600X $115

Reactions: Mopetar

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
Looks like English is a second language, I corrected some of your grammar and syntax
This is the best site that shows tests about CPUs ranked by price and features.

It looks like the 2200g came out early 2018

It has been over 2 years, I'm curious if there may be something better than that by now?

This was recommended by 1 person, I don't know if that person knew anything about cpus. Is it a good CPU for a budget system?

There are many people on this website that actually know alot about many topics. Can someone guide me to test results that show performance of CPUs around the same price?

Last edited:

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
3200G = this appears to be the answer to the questiton in op
how much bettte is this? where we see?
The 3200G is the new version of the 2200G. It is definitely better. Few reviews (here is one) but the 3200G is definitely better, though not by much, than the 2200G. If you have the budget, and don't want to buy a graphics card, the 3400G is much better than the 3200G. Both of them can be overclocked really easily too, for more performance.

The biggest unknown is whether you're asking questions in order to make a decision on building a computer, or if you're asking questions out of curiosity.

helpfulthings

Dec 18, 2019
> though not by much,

well is there something else is that better

this ssounds like its an insignificant betterness

> 3400G is much better than the 3200G.

is it much better for the price

like are we able to see a verifiable performance per price ratio with this?

if so than this would be the answer

if not than i guess 3200G would be it, but it'd be a meaningless answer since it sounds like its not better in any real way
but if the price same or lower than it'd be the obvious go

3400G = like are we able to see a verifiable performance per price ratio with this?

Last edited:

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
> though not by much,

well is there something else is that better

this ssounds like its an insignificant betterness

> 3400G is much better than the 3200G.

is it much better for the price

like are we able to see a verifiable performance per price ratio with this?

if so than this would be the answer

if not than i guess 3200G would be it, but it'd be a meaningfulness answer since it sounds like its not better in any real way
but if the price same or lower than it'd be the obvious go

3400G = like are we able to see a verifiable performance per price ratio with this?
If all you want is the best price to performance then the 2200G is it - at a retail price of $78 it beats the 2400G, 3200G, and 3400G. It's an inferior CPU but if all you care about is value for $, it's the best of the bunch.

That being said, there are 9 AMD chips alone that beat it in price to performance according to CPUBenchmark - including 3 I specifically mentioned in my first post being the top 3 value CPUs for the money, the 1600, 2600, and 2600X.

So again it's hard to really guide you to an answer without knowing what your goal is:
- is it the best price to performance? if so then get a Ryzen 1600
- is it the best price to performance just for AMD APUs? if so then get a 2200G
- is it for a specific application? if so, then which ones?

helpfulthings

Dec 18, 2019
for '3200G'

it seems you saying that the increase in gains is so insignficant (even after 3 whole years..... ) that the '2200G' would still be best in gains : cost

and thus '3200G' would not be included in that 9 you said

and thus we then know what the answer is to question in op is that is very easy to answer for the 1 right person

once this conttrridiction of things said is cleared up

AAbattery

Jan 11, 2019
Skip to the last paragraph if you want a TLDR.

for '3200G'

it seems you saying that the increase in gains is so insignficant (even after 3 whole years..... )

The 2200G was not available until February 2018, unless I am mistaken, which is much less than 3 years ago.

The reason for the contradiction is that we are lacking the knowledge of your specific use case, maximum budget for cpu or entire build and locations where the purchase might be made (since price and availability differ based on region).

Please provide a list of most used or most demanding applications or workloads or the main purpose for the system, the budget for the system, whether or not some parts are already acquired or might carry over from an older system, and the location the parts will be purchased from, be it country or specific retailers.

Whether a Ryzen 1600 or 2200G for example might be better value for money depends on the purpose and budget of the build, because the 1600 requires a separate graphics card to output video to a display, while that functionality is built into the 2200G. So by themselves they are in the same price bracket, but a 1600 based system will offer more performance in many workloads at a higher total system cost.

Also, AMD will be announcing new APUs soon, (codenamed Renoir), but price, availability and performance are unknown at this point, (even model numbers are unknown, but could be 4200G and 4400G). They might be announced as early as next month, but it could be longer before they are available to buy. It is highly unlikely that they will offer a new model below $100 though.

If you don't want to wait and want a good general purpose PC, just get a 2200G based system as others have suggested.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Be careful, if you're not "that 1 person that knows", what "the BEST" CPU is, he'll vote you down, even if you're asking sensible specifics like use cases, budget, etc.

He doesn't want to waste time providing that info, he wants "the BEST"!

• Haha
Reactions: Avalon and IEC

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
this link https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

does not show anything

i assume it doesnt show anything for anyone else as well

you say that this '2200G' thing is best

'is value for $'

but than you say there's 9 other cpu that is better than that in 'price to performance'

this is contridictory

what do you exactly mean?
The site's listings are broken today. At the time of my post it was running fine.

Let me clarify:
Best APU for the money, price to performance as the only consideration: Ryzen 2200G
Best CPU for the money, price to performance as the only consideration: Ryzen 1600

• Love
Reactions: helpfulthings

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Just follow VirtualLarry's guide:
Yes, go to www.cpubenchmark.net , search for your CPU, add it to Compare, find the other CPU, add it too, then click "Compare". It will show you the specs, the bencxhmarks, and price/performance ratios (if price is known).
The result should be something like AMD Ryzen 3 2200G vs AMD Ryzen 3 3200G vs AMD Ryzen 5 3400G.

• Love
Reactions: helpfulthings

Nereus77

Dec 30, 2016
for '3200G'

it seems you saying that the increase in gains is so insignficant (even after 3 whole years..... ) that the '2200G' would still be best in gains : cost

and thus '3200G' would not be included in that 9 you said

and thus we then know what the answer is to question in op is that is very easy to answer for the 1 right person

once this conttrridiction of things said is cleared up

My friend, you need to tell us what you want to do with this "best" CPU.

You want to play games? Try a Ryzen 5 3600 + Radeon RX580 graphics card.

You want to render video and play with Photoshop? Maybe a Ryzen 7 3800 + Radeon RX580 graphics card might be better.

You want to only use MS Office and browse forums? Yeah okay, 3200G will do that.

Heck, we don't even know what your graphics card is or if you have one. By the way, you haven't even told us what current specs you have, if you're buying a new PC or just swapping out the current CPU you have. People are grasping at straws trying to answer you.

If you want an exact answer, you need to answer these questions people are asking.

Reactions: Markfw and IEC

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
You asked 1 person who knows a lot and they said 2200g is the best. If you believe this person has more experience and knowledge than you, why don't you believe the answer you were given?

Many answers have been given but you judge the responses as uneducated and incorrect, as if you already know the correct answer. Are you a brilliant person searching for other equally brilliant individuals? Perhaps your simple question only appears simple to a highly intelligent person, I am not intelligent enough to understand a question that would be simple to a person of higher intellect.

• Haha
Reactions: IEC
Status
Not open for further replies.