Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR 15.6" Laptop, Staples, $400, 8/8-8/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
http://www.staples.com/Compaq-Presar...mArea=CIRCULAR

* AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core P320 processor (2.1GHz)
* 3GB installed memory
* 320GB hard drive
* SuperMulti 8X DVDñR/RW with Double Layer Support
* 15.6" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display
* Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN
* 101-key compatible keyboard with One touch launch keys
* Textured HP Imprint finish in matte black; Integrated microphone
* 6-Cell 47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery; Up to 3 hours, 30 minutes of battery life
* Dimensions 14.72"(W)x 9.70"(D)x 1.25"(min H)/1.44" (max H) (5.5lbs)
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* 1 year warranty

NO
Webcam
SD card reader
Numeric Keypad

Not too bad for a dual-core 2.1Ghz, that supports Virtualization (think XP Mode in Win7 Pro). Doesn't come with Pro though, comes with Home Premium 64-bit. RAM is expandable to 2x4GB DDR3 (8GB total). On the detailed specification page, it mentions a built-in microphone, although apparently no webcam. Also zero mention of the actual resolution of the screen, but it is likely to be 1366x768 like most of these 15.6" screen widescreen models.

Edit: Looks like it will cost around $200 for 8GB of DDR3 SO-DIMM memory at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2%20x%204GB%29
So to get an 8GB dual-core laptop with virtualization, it would be around $600 + tax (at Staples, if you buy in-store like me).

Last edited:

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
It is a pretty good laptop, I've been using it a while. Feels snappy, the trackpad is a bit annoying, but other than that it is pretty nice and functional.

Last edited by a moderator:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, cannot seem to get the links to work. You can either browse this week's online circular, or search for this laptop on Staples site.

Edit: In the Sneak Peek circular (next week), it looks like they have this same model for $20 less. So buy it now, and then take your reciept back for a $20 refund next week!

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Hmmm, might be just the thing to throw my extra Intel 80GB SSD in. I wonder how much of a PITA it is to replace the HD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought one, and while the tech specs for the price are nice, the form and function of the laptop, specifically the keyboard and touchpad, leave a bit to be desired. It does just kind of scream "cheap" laptop. No memory card reader, no HDMI output (even though the fairly new 880G chipset I'm sure supports it). Plus, the function keys (F1-F12), have special functions, but unlike most laptops, it appears that the special functions are the primary functions of those keys, and you have to hit the FN key to access the normal function keys. Ass-backwards if you ask me.

The touchpad is kind of wierd, there is no recessed pad. Only a continuous textured surface, with a rounded bar underneath (the mouse buttons, left and right). You kind of have to guess at the extents of the touchpad, and heaven help me if you want to enable the scroll-bar feature that most touchpads have at the right-hand side. On my current laptop from 2005, the touchpad is recessed, and on the right-hand side of the touchpad, there is a visual scrollbar, reminding you where it is located.

I would much prefer a conventional touchpad, as much as I dislike touchpads.

Edit: The HD should be easily removable. There are a few panels on the underside of the laptop, one of them has two HDD symbols near the screws. The other one has RAM, WiFi, and keyboard symbols.

Edit: If you dislike the keyboard and touchpad like I do, then check out this Toshiba at OD.
Toshiba Satellite® C655D-S5048 15.6" Widescreen Laptop Computer With AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core P320 Processor
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/543273/Toshiba-Satellite-C655D-S5048-156-Widescreen/

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, that's a deal with that coupon. Is that good for Sunday (start of new sales)? Because the laptop is $20 cheaper starting next week. $380-$50=$330+tax. Great deal for a dual-core laptop.

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
I'm seeing $399-$30 rebate = $369-$50 coupon=$319 before tax. It has a "REAL" touchpad and actual left & right mouse buttons, not like the Compaq CQ62-231NR with a raised textured hump of a touchpad, and a 1 piece bar with no separate left right buttons. I wonder if I should return mine for the Dual Core Athlon.

EDIT: Sorry the deal I referred to was a clearance item CQ61-420US and it has the older DDR2 3GB memory. I wish the newer Compaqs didn't all gravitate towards the textured touchpad, and single mouse bar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.