Compaq 4G 2.5" EIDE for $12.50 + reasonable s/h (All Gone)

Kato

Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure this is a misprint. The next closest price at pricegrabber is $980. If you buy 2, the shipping is $6.40. I have no idea about this company and I did not order so have fun.

Compaq hard drive here

daid

Oct 13, 1999
4GB is pretty small by todays standards. I wonder what this is... a particular Compaq?

"SYSTEM AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS

- -ARMADA 4000"

?

hpfanatic

Oct 16, 1999
I went ahead and ordered 2 of them, but I don't like the looks of this on the end of the receipt: Thank you for shopping with us!! You will receive an e-mail confirming this request within the next business day. A request?

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
Thats not bad, considering I paid $90 for $2.5GB 2.5 drive(9in. height) for my Iopener in May of 2000.
By the way, it doesnt specify the height of this drive, but in the worst case scenario it could be mounted externally(or separately if youre looking into a car-based setup)

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
By the way, I dont know where you got that $980 price, 2.5in 4GB laptop drives including the 9mm(I meant that in my previous post, not 9 in)height, run for about $100 on pricewatch.And these are brand names.

psxjunky

May 30, 2000
Probably a silly question ... but does anyone if this drive will work in a desktop system (non-compaq, home built) ??

Thx !

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Too bad, specs says that it may only be used with the Compaq Armada 4200 series. Would like to upgrade my Compaq Presario 1020 notebook hard drive (1.2 GB drive), but seems that it won't work. Will look around for more info...

Sitinh

Dec 1, 1999
It would work with your desktop with a converter. It essentially converts the connectors on the drive to a standard EIDE connector.

Also, it should work with any notebook, provided that the height fits in your notebook. It's just a standard EIDE drive.

Branded

Aug 10, 2000
Does anybody really know if this drive won't work like other notebook drives ? The compaq site implies Aramada 4000 only, but its still an eide drive. Why would making it 'smart' make it not work ?

Kato

Oct 9, 1999
Vladgur-

$980 was the next closest price at pricegrabber. Silly, considering you can get a reasonable laptop for $1k.

Branded-

Almost all newer HDs are 'smart' drives (generally you can turn this feature on/off in the mobo BIOS setting depending on whether you have 'smart' drives).

Dark Nebula

Oct 9, 1999
The only issue is the drive height. They specify the drive for an Armada 4000 series because that is what carier it is in. Take it out of the carier (on compaqs it's usually a tin can with a proprietary connector on the back) and it should work in any computer.

Hopefully that helps a few people out.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Didn't know this outfit, so I decided to wait until business hours and call them, instead of ordering late last night. Alas, they are sold out.

BTW, the drives were new, not refurb, and the place seems legit. A fine deal for those who scored, and kudos to Kato for posting it.

If and when anyone receives theirs, would you please post your experience?

msarah

Jun 3, 2000
when it says the drive only works in the 4000 series, it means that it comes with a removeable caddy for that model. you can just take it off and use the drive wherever you want.

Branded

Aug 10, 2000
The csr says they only had a few to begin with, so I doubt anyone will receive this drive. The csr says that it was a promotional price, and that it is backordered for those (like me) who were fantasizing that the shoppingplanet web site was anything close to a real time inventory system. And if you think you will get a backorder from these schmoes I have a bridge to sell you.

hpfanatic

Oct 16, 1999
Has anyone who ordered one of these gotten any confirmation on their orders? I just checked mine, and the site says, This order is been processed and will ship shortly.. I don't know if that means it has been processed, or is being processed.

pyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
i think he meant the order status deal not the request# email. you need the request# just to look your order up anyways.

pyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
i got my too bad screw you letter from them last night. i ordered at 4:54 so if you ordered any later, youll likely get your letter soon too.

TimTran

Sep 28, 2000
:)Hey SKORPI0;
Me too, I am looking a big HD to change my 1.2 GB Presario laptop. If you are luckily find one, please let me know where so I can get one. Thanks.

divide by zero

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2000
I ordered online that night (9/24 10:18pm) and received an e-mail with my order#. I just called and they are still backordered with no estimated time of fulfillment from their vendor. They said they would e-mail when they knew more.

What's that smell <sniff, sniff> Smells like... fish!