Company of Heroes

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Ok, I just started to play COH after about a month of not playing. I wasnt too good then and I am not too good now.

Right now I have a 2-2 Score, which isnt bad but not great. The Allied team is easier for me to play but I can also do somewhat decent with the Axis.

I was just wondering if anyone had some tips they could share? Such as what is the best units to build at the beginning and what not....

Edit: And this is the original one, and not the exp.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Multiplayer of course

Also, this game seems a lot more difficult to master than other RTS games. Usually I can master a RTS in a few weeks, but this one is totally different.

Also, is the expansion worth picking up? It seems the Brits are much better than the Yanks.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Multiplayer of course

Also, this game seems a lot more difficult to master than other RTS games. Usually I can master a RTS in a few weeks, but this one is totally different.

Also, is the expansion worth picking up? It seems the Brits are much better than the Yanks.

The expansion is worth picking up for the variety.
And Brits are better than Americans, but on some maps, not all.

Watching replays and working out what strategies and counters there are is the best way to try and improve.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah the expansion is worth it, its fun playing as the brits.

Well if its multiplayer play 2v2's and 3v3's until you get to grips with the basics of the game, i wouldnt bother with 1v1's yet, theres a lot of people who will trash you because they know the maps and the best tactic for said map. Although the matchmaking system is very good you dont learn by getting beaten lots, it shows in quite a few peoples profiles where they have 300ish losses and only 75 wins by 1v1ing.

1. MG's are extremely important, especially in buildings as that gives a 360 degree killzone usually dependant on the building.

2. Get a sniper, a good player will try and snipe out your MG's. Also if american then remember to use armor piercing shells, this will actualy harm everything up until a tank and tank destroyer, even a puma takes damage from this.

3. Get an AT gun out, if you are wehrmacht then you can cloak the gun, which is awesome i think its better than the US gun for its purpose. AT guns completely annihilate vehicles, it never used to be this way but theyve been given a serious range and damage increase since the last patch. US gun isnt as good, it cant cloak but it has armor pierce to deal with panthers which is useful, its vulnerable to axis mortar and snipers though keep it safe.

4. Dont be too aggressive, company of heros is weird in that newbs often dont sit in their base but they are extremely aggressive sending units all over the place to get picked off, so that 10 minutes into the game we can roll over their side of the map because theyve lost all their units and we lost nothing. The hyper aggressive noob, a strange thing, maybe its because they play it like c&c? Who knows, anyways dont be too aggressive, causing enemy casualties is more important than advancing into enemy terriroty really early on unless you have some sort of team strategy planned.

5. Dont lose your units. Easier said than done but the side that inflicts the most casualties on the other usually wins in team games.

6. This really only applies to team games, but learn the merits of artillery. Stukkas can potentially be the best artillery in the game, the brittish 25 pounder a close second. In 1v1's they dont last long enough to get artillery so its no use there. The panzer elite dont really have aritllery, its doctrine specific and 3 hummels usually takes up half the population cap, US is similar with infantry being the only doctrine with artillery.

7. Pick the best doctrine. They can all be useful, in 1v1's or as part of a team strategy but generally some are just easier and better than others.

Wehrmacht - Terror > Blitzkrieg >>> Defensive - Although blitz shines in 1v1 its outmatched by terror in team games with terrors V1 rocket and ability to send any number of grouped infantry running hope with the propaganda campaign ability. Defensive sucks in general.

US - Airborne > Infantry >> Armor - Airborne is the new favourite, their anti tank rifles pack a punch and you can drop an AT gun from the sky at any time. Dont rely on airborne to fight everything though theyre not so great vs tougher infantry. Pretty easy to play as airborne. Armor can be OK in team games because of the calliope but in general isnt as useful as the other two, the pershing sucks for what it costs.

Brits - Artillery >>> Commandos = Engineers - Artillery is really beneficial to have, your mortars and 25 pounders get waaaay more range. Commandos and engineers are ok in 1v1's but they have only ever beaten me as some sort of early rush strategy. Engineers can get a tank really early, the churchhill which is decent but if they have an AT gun then pretty pointless. Commandos can be a real PITA but a decent player should be able to deal with them.

Panzer Elite - Tank Destroyer = Scorched Earth > Luftwaffe - Tank destroyer can net you an early hetzer tank destroyer, a very nice little vehicle, its tough and has an MG that cant be killed, it can cloak too although thats not particularly useful. Scorched earth has some cool early game abilitys like booby trapping strat points and the hummel later on. Luftwaffe arent that great i find, they get fallschrimjagers which are awesome infantry but TD and SE are easier to play.

Thats about all i know. A lot applies to team games, for 1v1ing just know the map, and if you are beaten watch the reply and see why, or say you are beaten as the US, go play wehrmacht vs a really good US player and watch the reply then copy the strategy he used next time you play US.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Yeah the expansion is worth it, its fun playing as the brits.

Well if its multiplayer play 2v2's and 3v3's until you get to grips with the basics of the game, i wouldnt bother with 1v1's yet, theres a lot of people who will trash you because they know the maps and the best tactic for said map. Although the matchmaking system is very good you dont learn by getting beaten lots, it shows in quite a few peoples profiles where they have 300ish losses and only 75 wins by 1v1ing.

1. MG's are extremely important, especially in buildings as that gives a 360 degree killzone usually dependant on the building.

2. Get a sniper, a good player will try and snipe out your MG's. Also if american then remember to use armor piercing shells, this will actualy harm everything up until a tank and tank destroyer, even a puma takes damage from this.

3. Get an AT gun out, if you are wehrmacht then you can cloak the gun, which is awesome i think its better than the US gun for its purpose. AT guns completely annihilate vehicles, it never used to be this way but theyve been given a serious range and damage increase since the last patch. US gun isnt as good, it cant cloak but it has armor pierce to deal with panthers which is useful, its vulnerable to axis mortar and snipers though keep it safe.

4. Dont be too aggressive, company of heros is weird in that newbs often dont sit in their base but they are extremely aggressive sending units all over the place to get picked off, so that 10 minutes into the game we can roll over their side of the map because theyve lost all their units and we lost nothing. The hyper aggressive noob, a strange thing, maybe its because they play it like c&c? Who knows, anyways dont be too aggressive, causing enemy casualties is more important than advancing into enemy terriroty really early on unless you have some sort of team strategy planned.

5. Dont lose your units. Easier said than done but the side that inflicts the most casualties on the other usually wins in team games.

6. This really only applies to team games, but learn the merits of artillery. Stukkas can potentially be the best artillery in the game, the brittish 25 pounder a close second. In 1v1's they dont last long enough to get artillery so its no use there. The panzer elite dont really have aritllery, its doctrine specific and 3 hummels usually takes up half the population cap, US is similar with infantry being the only doctrine with artillery.

7. Pick the best doctrine. They can all be useful, in 1v1's or as part of a team strategy but generally some are just easier and better than others.

Wehrmacht - Terror > Blitzkrieg >>> Defensive - Although blitz shines in 1v1 its outmatched by terror in team games with terrors V1 rocket and ability to send any number of grouped infantry running hope with the propaganda campaign ability. Defensive sucks in general.

US - Airborne > Infantry >> Armor - Airborne is the new favourite, their anti tank rifles pack a punch and you can drop an AT gun from the sky at any time. Dont rely on airborne to fight everything though theyre not so great vs tougher infantry. Pretty easy to play as airborne. Armor can be OK in team games because of the calliope but in general isnt as useful as the other two, the pershing sucks for what it costs.

Brits - Artillery >>> Commandos = Engineers - Artillery is really beneficial to have, your mortars and 25 pounders get waaaay more range. Commandos and engineers are ok in 1v1's but they have only ever beaten me as some sort of early rush strategy. Engineers can get a tank really early, the churchhill which is decent but if they have an AT gun then pretty pointless. Commandos can be a real PITA but a decent player should be able to deal with them.

Panzer Elite - Tank Destroyer = Scorched Earth > Luftwaffe - Tank destroyer can net you an early hetzer tank destroyer, a very nice little vehicle, its tough and has an MG that cant be killed, it can cloak too although thats not particularly useful. Scorched earth has some cool early game abilitys like booby trapping strat points and the hummel later on. Luftwaffe arent that great i find, they get fallschrimjagers which are awesome infantry but TD and SE are easier to play.

Thats about all i know. A lot applies to team games, for 1v1ing just know the map, and if you are beaten watch the reply and see why, or say you are beaten as the US, go play wehrmacht vs a really good US player and watch the reply then copy the strategy he used next time you play US.

Good info here, thanks. Just remember that some of these ratings of doctrines may change depending on the resources available to the map being played.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
British with Artillery were the only way I could beat an AI team. Snipers still give me heart palpitations when I hear the rifle go off.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I didn't realize, but vsync is on automatically.

add -novsync at the end of the .exe target line in properties to turn it off.

It added a good 15fps+ to my system without visual tearing.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I play exclusively offline and using a trainer that allows me no pop caps and instant builds. Yea, its cheating, but after a long day at work working on PCs, I like to unwind and spam 6 tanks or drop 3 V2s on the computer player, not fight tooth and nail for every inch of each map. Having a bunker with a sniper or Rangers holed up inside makes for a serious chokepoint at any location on each map.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Originally posted by: WT
I play exclusively offline and using a trainer that allows me no pop caps and instant builds. Yea, its cheating, but after a long day at work working on PCs, I like to unwind and spam 6 tanks or drop 3 V2s on the computer player, not fight tooth and nail for every inch of each map. Having a bunker with a sniper or Rangers holed up inside makes for a serious chokepoint at any location on each map.

That sounds fun. Might squeze some more life out of the game for me.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Ok, I just started to play COH after about a month of not playing. I wasnt too good then and I am not too good now.

Right now I have a 2-2 Score, which isnt bad but not great. The Allied team is easier for me to play but I can also do somewhat decent with the Axis.

I was just wondering if anyone had some tips they could share? Such as what is the best units to build at the beginning and what not....

Edit: And this is the original one, and not the exp.

My advice would be to NEVER fight germans fair. Never hope to outproduce them or beat them with pure numbers or brute force unless you are fighting a player who is not as skilled as you are. The germans are way overpowered and CoH is not balanced at all. Just about everything the germans have is flat out better than anything the allied player can field. I'd say that the brits have a much better chance though, as opposed to americans.

I fought plenty of battles, and when odds are even, like fighting in the open for example, the german infantry always wins when squads are fighting one on one. Germans have way more artillery options, and more unit variety in general. Many of their units are cheaper too! The Americans are simply boring when compared to the Wermacht for example, because the Wermacht has a lot more options for the player.

My friend, who started playing when I did, and played less than me overall, consistently beats me with Panzer Elite because it's just so damn easy for him to be better than me. It's faster for him to get to his marder than for me to even get a greyhound. He can spam his light vehicles like crazy when I struggle to get to these myself. His units cost less fuel in general than mine... His infantry slaughters mine 1 on 1. His army is so damn fast that he always manages to stay at least one resource location ahead of me at all times, and even when that's not the case, he still always has more resources simply because he doesnt have to spend as much as I do. It's really frustrating.

I totally abandoned the Americans, because no matter how hard I try I simply cannot win.
With Brits, it's a whole other story. Despite also being disadvantaged, the Brits have some nice tricks up their sleeve. My favorite one is the trench. I spam these like a maniac, in a strategy that's similar to "tower rushing" in older RTS games. I try to choke the germans at key points, and when I cannot win a fight, at least I delay the bastards long enough for the reinforcements to arrive. There is really nothing the germans can do to tommies in a trench unless they are using incendiary munitions, grenades, or several tanks with concentrated fire. A trench backed up by a tank with a repair crew, or an AT gun or a mortar depending on the situation will significantly slow down the german unless he has an overwhelming force or massed artillery. Oh and did I mention that the trench is FREE?

I keep building the trenches, slowly advancing toward the enemy base, making him waste his resources on trying to break out of my "siege". Hopefully this gives me enough time to rush to arty or tanks and if I get any of these before him, he's as good as dead. If this doesn't happen I may as well just quit, since I don't see any way of stopping a good german player who teched to tanks or stukas significantly faster than me.

I also like building a few bren gun carriers early in the game, because they are fast, relatively cheap, (no fuel) and nice for early harassment especially when backing up a trench full of tommies.

The biggest problem with CoH IMO is that there's no friggin' Russians. God.. I just wish there were Russians in this game so I could finally kick some german ass and have my revenge for all those times I got beat again, again, and again. I need some damn T-34/85's damnit! Hell, even the regular T-34's will do! Some Katushas, and mass AT rifle infantry wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
The Germans are actually not overpowered. If you go to CoH boards and read posts from experts, the general consensus is Americans and PE are best for 1v1 (they're about equal) but there isn't a huge difference and you can be competitive with any faction. The key to playing the Americans vs PE is the M8 Armored car. You need to get this out as fast as possible. Don't even bother building a Weapon Support center.

Once you have an M8 you need to micromanage it constantly. PE Panzershreks will easily destroy it up close, but will almost always miss from far away. Marders are very slow at turning, so if you can get up close to it, you can just drive your M8 in circles around the Marder and get rear armor hits. The M8 actually has a pretty decent anti light armor gun. If they have two Marders covering each other that won't work, but you can take them out with sticky bombs, anti tank guns, Rangers, or airborn. They have weak armor.

PE infantry are strong, but since they have few strong inf rather than many weak inf (like american) they are very vunerable to insta kill attacks like grenades and snipers (but if you're going to make a sniper, make the weapon support center AFTER you have an M8 on the field). PE will have the early inf advantage vs american, but they are very slow at capping points. In fact, american rifleman can cap points at about twice the speed of PE Panzer grenadiers. Use this to your advantage. Early in the game, instead of taking on the PE blob head on, spread out your rifleman and cap points. When the blob attacks one of your capping riflemen, retreat it while the rest keep capping. You can take control of the majority of the map without winning a single battle.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
hmm, just got out of a game.

It seems that one Tiger Ace can easily kill 6 M10 Wolverines even when you flank it from all sides. That one tank killed all 6 of my tanks with ease. My tank rounds bounced right off even the back part of the tank for some odd reason.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

It seems that one Tiger Ace can easily kill 6 M10 Wolverines even when you flank it from all sides. That one tank killed all 6 of my tanks with ease. My tank rounds bounced right off even the back part of the tank for some odd reason.

Tiger ace? They removed that, its the king tiger now.

GZNails

May 2, 2008
I don't play online very often as there are some excellent players out there and I just hate losing. You should play every army and every Command tree as it will let you know what your going up against, that way you can change your strategy if need be. There are tons of strategies out there, I learned a lot from the site Gautama mentioned: http://www.gamereplays.org/com...dex.php?showforum=1214

Blobbing was the most used until some newer strats came out. Its still pretty effective vs AI.. I've seen plenty of players building nothing but ranger squads or shrek squads and just roll through the map. Check those forums and get a feel for what works.

My bro and I wanted to see how many shermans a Jagdpanther could take down before dying (no repairs, no upgrades, just vet on both sides) and it tore through 31 shermans (about 3-4 shots per on ave front to front), 4 light armor and of course the sh^ty Pershing. Pretty impressive!

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005

Good lord... Even I don't give up on games this fast. ;) I hope that by "getting out", you meant "took a break".

CoH is an awesome game. I hope I didn't give you a wrong impression with my comments. I do have many "issues" with CoH, but I still love it, and I'll play it for a very long time to come.

Tiger Ace is the least of your problems. When an enemy gets this tank it means either of the two things. Either that he built it because he is bathing in resources cause you suck, and he just summoned the tiger for the heck of it to add insult to injury(in which case you should quit and fight someone else) or he builds it out of desperation because the game is dragging on for too long and you are putting up a good fight against him. In this case, I love charging tigers with infantry and using sticky bombs, satchel charges(my favorite) or bazookas. The Tiger Ace is very powerful but slow and easy to flank and overwhelm. When using stickies, satchel charges or bazookas I often manage to destroy the engine, or main gun and at that point the Tiger Ace seizes to be a problem. Even if the enemy rushes in to repair it, it still gives me some time to reinforce and attack him again. Throwing your own tanks against a Tiger Ace is suicide because the allies do not have any vehicles that can take on this tank. You need to use well placed AT guns, infantry, airborne bombers, and maybe even mines. Considering how expencive the tiger is, it's really no big deal losing two squads of infantry just to kill or disable it.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Na, I love the game itself. It is I am not used to using all this strategy lol.

I did better today and won 2 games. One of my shermans single handedly took down one tiger and 3 panthers by outflanking them. :)

Now what is the best way to tank down the German infantry that have rockets?

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Speaking of CoH, does anyone have any games to recommend that are similar in nature ? I've tried SupCom, but found it was not to my liking. I prefer WWII RTS, but haven't found anything worthwhile. I saw Blitzkrieg II on sale, but it looks like a poor mans CoH in every way.