Company of Heroes 2 Announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
there's an eastern front mod for the current COH as well, downside is the russian stuff is vastly overpowered and nobody has the mod so you can't play MP.

DOW2 had none of the magic COH did. Maybe it was the incorporation of the melee aspect, but DOW2 didn't do the MP game very well with the micro aspect.

Oh and one more thing, PLEASE NO GFWL. Please please please please no. That killed DOW2 for me. Relic has great games but terrible terrible MP servers.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
there's an eastern front mod for the current COH as well, downside is the russian stuff is vastly overpowered and nobody has the mod so you can't play MP.

DOW2 had none of the magic COH did. Maybe it was the incorporation of the melee aspect, but DOW2 didn't do the MP game very well with the micro aspect.

Oh and one more thing, PLEASE NO GFWL. Please please please please no. That killed DOW2 for me. Relic has great games but terrible terrible MP servers.

DoW2 MP is one of the best RTS MP's going imo.

Also Retribution used Steam servers for MP, moving away from GFWL.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
OMFG!!! My prayers have been heard! YES! YES YES!

*Instant wargazm*

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

OMFG this x 1000!

Relic online is an amazing platform! Chat/troll in gamereplays whilst your game fills up and it blinks orange when someone joins/says something in game, plus none of the GFWL bs :) I really hope they stick with relic online.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Good to hear, re: CoH2.

Regarding the last page of the article: I wondered what happened to them after the CoH: Online beta. I played the single player missions but never even joined a multiplayer game in CoH:O because it was confusing to get into and I felt like I was swimming with sharks who had played CoH 1000 times over.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Good to hear, re: CoH2.

Regarding the last page of the article: I wondered what happened to them after the CoH: Online beta. I played the single player missions but never even joined a multiplayer game in CoH:O because it was confusing to get into and I felt like I was swimming with sharks who had played CoH 1000 times over.

Yeah did the same thing. Played through the SP of the original CoH and did a few skirmish against the computer but realized then I wouldn't be good enough to play against real people so never went online.

I also got it a while after it came out so the people playing then were probably awesome at it. It would just have been lame for everyone if I jumped in there

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yeah did the same thing. Played through the SP of the original CoH and did a few skirmish against the computer but realized then I wouldn't be good enough to play against real people so never went online.

I also got it a while after it came out so the people playing then were probably awesome at it. It would just have been lame for everyone if I jumped in there

You could learn to be competitive up until the level 6-8 range fairly easily, but then the rankings start to separate the men from the boys. The problem was so many super pros would make alt accounts and re-rank or noobstomp. Playing the computer also really just trains your micro but doesn't teach any strategy to beat a person.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
it looks better imo, the details and lighting on those T-34's is great

True, but it's not a draamatic leap. That said, still looks great.

And I'm excited. If their promise about scale comes true, this could be some epic stuff.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
True, but it's not a draamatic leap. That said, still looks great.

First COH was one of the first DX10 games IIRC. That makes it an even more dramatic leap when compared to prior RTSes. There just isn't as far to go this time around (not to mention much less incentive since they've been riding basically the same engine since COH as well).

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Those lighting effects look really good, even though the graphics seem to be pretty similar to the first one.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I loved the first COH's, but find it hard to look forward to a game with no American component. As a baby boomer with Father and Uncles who are WW2 vets and as a kid who had to do constant duck and cover drills in case of Soviet nuclear attacks, playing as Germans and Russians is difficult for me.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I loved the first COH's, but find it hard to look forward to a game with no American component. As a baby boomer with Father and Uncles who are WW2 vets and as a kid who had to do constant duck and cover drills in case of Soviet nuclear attacks, playing as Germans and Russians is difficult for me.

How do you think the Russian and German players feel?

Besides, the Russian and German soldiers typically weren't all that bad, hell the German military tried to kill Hitler, and Stalin had mucho attempts on his life as well. It was the leaders who were the real problem, and I doubt you'll see much of them.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

One word. Expansion pack ;)

Thats two words but you get my drift, the first CoH only really took off for me when the brits and PE were added, it broke the same old wehr vs US every single match and made the game far more interesting.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010

I tried the eastern front mod and as entertaining as it is it was pretty dead and while pretty well made I'm much more excited about a full fledged Eastern front from Relic themselves.

Personally I've always found the Eastern front more interesting and engaging than the western front. I also love playing as Germany in WWII and the Wehrmacht was by far my most played faction in COH. I think too many people have this notion that any WWII era German is a Nazi when the vast majority were just grunts following orders issued by the top Nazi brass.