Communities grapple with rise in violence

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14137625/

I find this interesting. I don't know but I have a funny feeling part of the reason for this is because the tensions in this country today. You know with Iraq War, economy, terrorist threats. More violence is complimenting this. Which of course boils down the Bush....

What are you guys ideas

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
No kidding? Random bad news and you "have a feeling" its Bush's fault? If this helps feed your hatred .. For me, I'm casting a bemused eye at this post.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Frackal
No kidding? Random bad news and you "have a feeling" its Bush's fault? If this helps feed your hatred .. For me, I'm casting a bemused eye at this post.

The Basis of crime is the area. However sudden increases of crime can be due to many reason. Example, if people are depressed/angry at their governement. Hurricane Katrina for example that would be one reason why crime increased. I think that could be one of the reasons. I don't find that far fetched nor incorrect. I'm sure if you do in dept reasearch you will find people today are not as happy as before bush. And of course how this country is haneling things right now which is making people frusterated is due to bush. So yeah it is his fault....

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
First you say this.

The Basis of crime is the area. However sudden increases of crime can be due to many reason.

And then you say this.

And of course how this country is haneling things right now which is making people frusterated is due to bush. So yeah it is his fault....

So is your argument that a diverse number of dynamics can influence spikes in crime for a given community, or are you defaulting to the "it's all Bush's fault" line. I am willing to discuss the former.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
First you say this.

The Basis of crime is the area. However sudden increases of crime can be due to many reason.

And then you say this.

And of course how this country is haneling things right now which is making people frusterated is due to bush. So yeah it is his fault....

So is your argument that a diverse number of dynamics can influence spikes in crime for a given community, or are you defaulting to the "it's all Bush's fault" line. I am willing to discuss the former.

Both, Many factors can influence crime. However I think one of the factors could be what is going on in this country today. And yes I think most of what goes negative in the country today (mostly negative) is all bush's fault....

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Both, Many factors can influence crime. However I think one of the factors could be what is going on in this country today. And yes I think most of what goes negative in the country today (mostly negative) is all bush's fault....
This is where I would have to disagree...most of the social dynamics that influence crime vary depending on the community, and are quite independent of the federal government.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
"?You look at the individuals that are dying, the individuals that are committing the crimes ?there?s a large percentage of them that are young black males, many of them without an education, who dropped out of school. A number of individuals out there without hope,? said Indianapolis police Sgt. Matthew Mount."

Maybe we can blame the popular culture that we see in many neighborhoods. The gangster rap music, the violent games, the anti-education bias etc etc.

There is a lot of blame to go around. A lot of places where we see failure.

Some how I don't think if Bush left office tomorrow we would all of a suden see all this crime go away.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

I find this interesting. I don't know but I have a funny feeling part of the reason for this is because the tensions in this country today. You know with Iraq War, economy, terrorist threats. More violence is complimenting this. Which of course boils down the Bush....

What are you guys ideas

I dont think gang warfare gives two shats about this percieved split the media likes to jam down our throats. I'd say a breakdown in the inner cities due to overcrowding, broken homes, and poverty have is a higher cause than what talking point the repubs and dems are currently bickering over.

This problem has been growing for years and has nothing to do with the president.
This idea everything stops at the president door is getting old. Not everything is his fault, thinking it is, elevates him to a de-facto king.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I live in the heart of one of the most violent communities in the country right now, North Minneapolis. I'm not sure how some of you whackjobs can pin everything on Bush. The problem here is an incompetent mayor.

Edit: I should add, it's also partly due to incompetence at the city council, county, and state levels too. Minnesota can apparently afford to build a new stadium for billionaire sports teams, but can't afford to fund inner city programs.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I live in the heart of one of the most violent communities in the country right now, North Minneapolis. I'm not sure how some of you whackjobs can pin everything on Bush. The problem here is an incompetent mayor.

Edit: I should add, it's also partly due to incompetence at the city council, county, and state levels too. Minnesota can apparently afford to build a new stadium for billionaire sports teams, but can't afford to fund inner city programs.

It is easier to blame someone that be accountable for the problems yourself. especially, when one has no influence into solving the problem. Easier to just point fingers when frustrated.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Dont forget light rail for the limosuine liberals at a cost 3 times that of roads and provide little help in the way of alleviating congestion.

Hopefully the Twins stadium deal gets 4 of those idiots off the board. Of course since I live in Wright county I dont have to worry about the sales tax completely, but the principal of it pisses me off.

There has been no proven correlation between public funding of stadiums and economic growth. The idea spending 500 million will somehow generate a greater economic growth than letting the people of Hennepin county keep their 500 million and spend it freely is a lie.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

What are you guys ideas

I have seen an increase in the amt of crime in the Detroit area in the last few years. My impression.. the more poor people there are roaming the streets with no where to turn and no future to look forward to, the more crimes will be committed. But there was a good amt of crime during the Clinton years in Detroit, too. I would tend to agree that Bush along with congress is to blame for the sh!t economy but not necessarily the rise in violent crime. Do I think that if the dems had had control of either the Senate or the House during the past 6 years would our economy be as sh!t as it is? Hell no. There should be a provision that no party ever controls all 3. Nothing good ever comes from absolute power. So you can't place the blame all on Bush, there are a lot of other politicians and government agencies to blame for the sad state of our Country.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal

The Basis of crime is the area. However sudden increases of crime can be due to many reason. Example, if people are depressed/angry at their governement. Hurricane Katrina for example that would be one reason why crime increased. I think that could be one of the reasons. I don't find that far fetched nor incorrect. I'm sure if you do in dept reasearch you will find people today are not as happy as before bush. And of course how this country is haneling things right now which is making people frusterated is due to bush. So yeah it is his fault....

you are a moron. i live in indy. the increase in violence here is due to a mexican drug war not bush.

it rained today and the roofers didn't come to replace my roof because of it. must be bush's fault, stupid bush. :roll:

if i ever do an "in dept reasearch" on a subject i'll try to be as inept as you.

greatfool66

Mar 6, 2006
Groundless attacks like the OP makes on Bush are really harmful to everyone because:

1) They obscure the facts about the real problems the Bushies are responsible for

2) They give strength to counterarguments that those who complain are just expressing personal feelings against Bush rather than disagreeing with policy

I think the Bush administration is responsible for some of the worst decisions in our nation's history, but really doubt they have anything to do with inner city crime.

Personally my hometown of Memphis has recently seen a huge increase in crimes like burglery, especially in odd times like afternoon. I don't know the cause but some blame it on the influx of New Orleans displaced population and it does correspond to that time.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: greatfool66
Groundless attacks like the OP makes on Bush are really harmful to everyone because:

1) They obscure the facts about the real problems the Bushies are responsible for

2) They give strength to counterarguments that those who complain are just expressing personal feelings against Bush rather than disagreeing with policy

I think the Bush administration is responsible for some of the worst decisions in our nation's history, but really doubt they have anything to do with inner city crime.

QFT

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Maybe it has something to do with the other thread that a large percentage of the US is in poverty?