Common problems with 08-10 Mercedes GL 450

GeneralGore

Jan 2, 2017
Hey,
I am planning a purchasing a used GL450, but want to know what the common problems with the vehicle are. The SUV will be around 100k miles. If you can also give me an estimated price for the fixing of the common problems that will also be helpful. Also is it worth to get a third party used car warranty on it and if so what do you recommend.
Thank you

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Estimate repair costs? Expensive.

Actually, I think Jules recently mentioned his boss has/had one?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I hope your luck is good. =]

At that mileage your looking at routine maintenance issues creeping up most vehicles.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You're basically planning on purchasing a rolling $10k maintenance time bomb.

If you have deep pockets, and you should if you're considering a vehicle like this, I'd get one that still has a factory warranty.

From what I've read the air suspension and power steering rack seem to be common issues. Those will cost thousands of dollars. I'd have to check but I think it was a transmission that one of the VPs for the company I work for had trouble with and the repair bill was almost $10k.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I have an '08 350 for several years, and have had little problems with it. It was a lease car before me, and all maintenance was kept up. I have also done this. Oil changes are expensive, about $130. Takes 8 quarts of synthetic. I had a fan blower go out, where the fan for ac/heat ran no matter if the car was off or not, was $700 to replace. I shopped around and looked inline for the blower, and the Mercedes dealership actually didn't price gouge, I was extremely surprised. I could have done it myself, but for not much less, and so not worth it for me. We just turned 100k though, and it really is running great. Obviously it depends on the vehicle, but I wouldn't be hesitant to pick it up.

We're looking for a 3rd row now because we just added a 4th child. I wanted a 450/550... she doesn't want another. Wants something different, so we'll see what we get.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I just test drove a 2012 Durango Citadel off the dealer lot to see if I liked it yesterday. Got behind a GL550 at a light. Wife looked over at me and said "Oh, you could test drive one of them next. It looks like it fits your criteria". I just looked back at her and said "Oh hell no. After the first visit to the garage, I bet you'd change your tune". And at 87k mileage, it's reached the point where a few visits will chew through whatever $ you have left after you buy it. Link to Mercedes GL550 - http://www.cndmotorsports.com/2008_MercedesBenz_GLClass_Lancaster_PA_7524879.veh

With 30k less miles, and damned near every feature the Mercedes has, and a few that it doesn't, the Durango was actually a better buy for my needs. I'm still under the factory 7yr/100k powertrain warranty as well, which is again more than can be said for the big Mercedes. Note that I am not saying the Durango is a better vehicle than the Mercedes - I'm pointing out that for what I wanted from a used vehicle, I much prefer the one that is still covered with a factory warranty so as to lessen the concerns if a powertrain problem crops up.

Added two pics of the Durango:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvOnOWku2Z3vhPFZcZuPbBMGttdCHA
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvOnOWku2Z3vhPFasUr4fLQBYyAN-w

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I can't imagine anyone would cross shop a hundred thousand dollar Mercedes and a Dodge Durango.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Seriously. Anyway, OP should just get a CPO GX470 for around $40k and call it a day.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
One of the post's from your last link,
"
18452 miles: Problems:

1) Exterior lift gate failure, replaced by dealer (6000 miles)

2) Rear brake pads replaced because of squealing (5000 miles)

3) Front left strut replaced (12000 miles)

4) Airmatic failure, relay and compressor replacement (12500 miles)

Now, ask me if I love my GL450?! Yeah, baby!"
WTF, he's lucky all that happened under warranty, does this person have a CLUE what those type's of repairs are going to be when the warranty expires?. Lots of other posts like "9K miles and zero issues!", well gee, even a shi*box will give you 9k trouble-free miles when it's BRAND NEW.