Comments on this gaming HTPC

yasho2249

Apr 5, 2016
Soo here is the build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KFsMP6

I hav never actually build a htpc soo not sure if I missed out on any parts or something like that (saw some tv Card in many builds). Soo I just wanted ur comments on the build and if there are any missing parts

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That will be a decent gaming machine. I would take what you are spending on a wireless card and get a Mobo with wireless built in though.

yasho2249

Apr 5, 2016
That will be a decent gaming machine. I would take what you are spending on a wireless card and get a Mobo with wireless built in though.
I actually like to hav 4 ram slots for future expansion and mini itx is the only one with wireless card in my knowledge bt only 2 ram slots. If there is a board with the card and 4 slots great! Plz tell me abt that or share a link or something

AssassinHTPC

Sep 25, 2013
Several Points of Consideration (in my humble opinion)

1) For gaming, depending on the level, a quad core processor (i5) might be a better option (if your budget allows it). And keep in mind the "k" after the processor means you can overclock it if you choose. So an i5 "k" series is a pretty good spot to be at for a gaming CPU.
2) If you want to overclock (which isn't scary anymore and the motherboard guys have it pretty much down to an easy gui), make sure you get a "z" series motherboard. Don't spend money on a "k" processor and then get an "h" series motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking.
3) Why a 1TB drive? 2TB drives are literally $3.00 more on Amazon?

yasho2249

Apr 5, 2016
Several Points of Consideration (in my humble opinion)

1) For gaming, depending on the level, a quad core processor (i5) might be a better option (if your budget allows it). And keep in mind the "k" after the processor means you can overclock it if you choose. So an i5 "k" series is a pretty good spot to be at for a gaming CPU.
2) If you want to overclock (which isn't scary anymore and the motherboard guys have it pretty much down to an easy gui), make sure you get a "z" series motherboard. Don't spend money on a "k" processor and then get an "h" series motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking.
3) Why a 1TB drive? 2TB drives are literally $3.00 more on Amazon?
I tried for the i5 bt in that budget stretching it to max I can manage a 4th gen
Soo I better buy an i3 6th gen now and upgrade it later to an i5
As of the overclocking thing....I saw some benchmarks shows overclocking doesn't help much. Actually I was think of overclocking that 6100 (u were able to do that some time ago) bt I missed the chance ':)
And the last one. Well I live in India and prices here are too high to buy from online sites. We all purchase these stuff from local stores soo all the online offers don't matter much for me. If its for the same price in store I will pick it :)