Comments About Chinese 1st astronaut~~~~

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003
Hello,
Well, i am doin a presentation about Chinese 1st astronaut and its space plan... I assumed everyone heard about this last month. China became the 3rd country, after the US and Russian, who had sent it's astronaut to the outer space~
As a matter of fact, I was born in Taiwan... and i was suppose to feel happy for China since its a great achievement.
However, i think its pathetic..... cause Chinese attempted to do something that the US had already accomplished decades ago, not to mention the fact that the US sent someone to Moon on 1969. China sent the first guy to orbit the earth 18 times and return to the earth immediately after lkike 20 something hours, and mainland Chinese are celebriting it as they were the first who done it.
in my opinion, this costly and dependent project wouldnt really contribute much to our world, while majority of its population are sufferin from poverty.

Well, of course a lot western countries had already congradulated to Chinese government, but do they really mean it? i meant.. they would probably be thinkin " Hey, nice job. You finally figured out how to send a man to outer space after all those support from Russian."

People may argue that Chinese done most of the tests and measurements without Russian support, but it is a fact that they purchased the ship from Russian~

No doubt, Chinese is the third, but were they really ranked number three in terms of its technology??
I seriously doubt it ~~
One more thing, i think it would make much more sense to me if we can DO THE RIGHT THING FIRST~

Comments are very welcomed and needed, because i need more info to to present to my class, thanx
:confused:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We never went to the moon maybe china can:p

Seriously I agree with you 100%. In fact we should cut all diplomatic/trade relations with china, give taiwan 3 Ageas crusiers and whatever else they need. China is a distictorial rouge state who kills and immprisions it's citizens, sells tons of technology/weapons to rouge states, starves it's countryside people, no freedom of movement, no enviromental laws, no repect for intellectual property. In fact many hawks think we'll be at war with them in 10 years but we are enableing them with trade/technology/dollars. Sickening.

Read Red Dragon RisingText

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I'll say a few things:
1. I know English isn't your first language, but please keep in mind for the future: Russia = country, Russian = citizen of Russia, widget made in Russia etc

2. Most people like to downplay it, but its still a bit achievement. Fact is, if China wants to become a space player, it cannot have a manned mission to mars as its first project. Like with any other scientic/technical project, you have to start with the simple things, then add features as you go. Trying to do everything at once is a recipe for failure/disaster.

this costly and dependent project wouldnt really contribute much to our world, while majority of its population are sufferin from poverty
I disagree with this way of thinking, especially when applied to space and science in general. If we try to solve everyone's problem's first, there would be no scientific development. There was poverty in the USSR in the 50s and they still wen't to space. There was poverty in the US in the 60s and they went to the moon.
Look at what other nations are doing: Nothing much. NASA and the ESA are just kinda hanging around, sending a satellite every now and then, the Russians don't have the money to do anything. India is still busy developing their rockets etc...
I for one am very glad that at China has chosen to pursue space, and I hope they not only continue, but also pick up the pace a little. A chinese on the moon in 2008 would be great (even if there is really no chance of it happening, though they could do it by the end of the decade if they really want to).

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
China putting a man in space is on the level of importance as my sister driving around the block for the first. It has been done before and she is just using some old car. Come back when they have done something new and important.

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo

Seriously I agree with you 100%. In fact we should cut all diplomatic/trade relations with china, give taiwan 3 Ageas crusiers and whatever else they need. China is a distictorial rouge state who kills and immprisions it's citizens, sells tons of technology/weapons to rouge states, starves it's countryside people, no freedom of movement, no enviromental laws, no repect for intellectual property. In fact many hawks think we'll be at war with them in 10 years but we are enableing them with trade/technology/dollars. Sickening.

hehe... interesting thoughts.... hmm... the worst part of their judictradiction system is that defendants are always guilty unless they can PROVE THEIR INNOCENCE~~ (==== very interesting to me~~~

Well, we should not cut the tradin relationship with him, cause China does have a very attractive market and their buying power is pretty strong for the major cities.

anyways... i was gettin a little off topic, hmm..... well.. my presentation is gonna be focused on the space program......
hmm... they could be the best nation in the world to some of you, but my audiences most likely is not gonna be too interested about these....

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003

Hmm.... about the trip to moon, the US did sent the astronauts to the Moon..... i have been heard enough rumors about it, and a lot of them appeared to be convincing or somewhat possible.
If you really want to believe in those rumors, just remember one fact that Russia was havin the space race with us and cold war, and they would've bust NASA's lie in 1969.

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Spencer278
China putting a man in space is on the level of importance as my sister driving around the block for the first. It has been done before and she is just using some old car. Come back when they have done something new and important.

well, your idea was right... but you forget one thing.... what if your sister is only 11 years old when she can't take a good care of herself...

is China ready for it? maybe we should wait until its society and people are ready for it.

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003

about giving taiwan 3 Ageas crusiers.. haha. it was a good point... well..... as a matter of fact, about all those military exports to Taiwan.... hmmm... its too political.... heheh... not only Taiwanese government wanted them.. trust me... Americans wanted those deals as much as Taiwanese... funny thing is--- the US Airforce is using which design of F-16??? H or whatever right? they sold taiwan the F-16 A/B, mang that design is probably older than my age.

why didn't the US government simply provided the equipments that can last for a while? It's the greedy.
they wanted Taiwanese government to make the purchase every year......

every year, a few billion dollars...... it can grant a lot of businessmen's American Dreams....

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
i'm at ucsd. what college?

astronauts are neat, but i wanna be a fireman when i grow up.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003

I'm not getting the point of this topic. That's not to say I'm against it or anything; I mean to say that it's not clear as to me if UCSDHappy is looking for research material or if he's trolling for opinions.

I'll share some comments, though.

UCSDHappy says:
As a matter of fact, I was born in Taiwan... and i was suppose to feel happy for China since its a great achievement.
I'm not sure I understand how these two things are relevant to one another... or maybe it's just a statement of fact followed by an opinion.

My family is from the southern parts of Taiwan (Tainan and Kaohsiung). My grandparents don't speak Mandarin. They speak Taiwanese and they know Japanese because the island was occupied in their time by the Japanese. My mother and aunts were forced to learn Mandarin because the Mainland Chinese took over during their childhood. The family speaks Taiwanese to one another. My mother and aunts (and some of my cousins) speak Mandarin with a heavy Taiwanese accent. I can hardly understand their Mandarin.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the things that happened when the Nationalists fled from the Mainland to Taiwan. Bad things happened to the people who were already in Taiwan.

Most of the Taiwanese people I know consider themselves Taiwanese and they distinguish themselves from the Mainland. It might be different for the people who came from the Mainland. My understanding is that the northern part of the island (Taipei if you want to generalize) are from the Mainland.

My point is that I don't know if there's a connection between being Taiwanese and a need to feel some nationalistic pride in Mainland China's accomplishments. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

The response from Taiwanese newspapers seemed to be overall congratulatory, but there were also articles expressing fear over China's advancement and the consequences for Taiwan. I'm not sure it matters one way or another. My opionion is that Taiwan would get smeared if China were to make a go at it. Whether the US and other nations would step up to protect Taiwan is not clear to me at all. The US is playing both sides of Taiwan and China. Officially, the US says that there is only "one China". This works well as it wants to trade with China (although we do seem to be doing a lot more buying than selling... but we are buying stuff at slave labor prices, so who's to complain!?). The US also sells decades old weapons technology to Taiwan and has leased F16s to Taiwan for about twenty years now. What's up with that??! My opinion is that the Taiwanese should spend their money more wisely... but it's all politics, I suppose. That, and maybe it makes the Taiwanese people feel more secure. I dunno.

I, myself, am American.

I mean, I was born in the States in an odd pairing of a first-generation Irish-American and a small Taiwanese lady. I spend about two months a year in Taiwan. I am happy for the Chinese and their accomplishment. I also think that it's sad that they need to go so far to gain themselves a little national pride. It seems a little deperate. The Chinese seem to have a nationalism that I just cannot understand. My friends (grad students) were up at all hours of the night to watch the Chinese women's soccer team play whoever a couple of months ago and their moods would track the team's success. As they ranted about this stuff, I held my tongue. I'm not sure they wanted to hear about how women's soccer is a sport that only young girls care about in America.

Overall, I feel that the Chinese should work on some of their more terrestrial problems in terms of raising the living standards of their people and dealing with these types of issues. The Chinese like to point out that we also have hunger and poverty in America, but it is not anywhere near the extent of what's going on in China. No where near it. The American living standard in the 1950s and 60s was also much better off that what people have in most of China right now.

As an example, I have two friends from China. My girl friend's parents are both doctors. They live in the city. They didn't have a place to bath in their apartment until the late 80s. Publis baths. No big deal.

My other friend's parents are professors. He talks about how he hates cabbage. It stems from the way his family ate cabbage all winter when he was a teen. They buried these things in the yard and dug them up as they needed them. He's about 32 now. It was normal at the time where he lived.

So what, right? It's just the way it is. These examples were Chinese cities, though. Do they sound like the conditions in the US twenty years before we put a man in space though?

It's my opinion that China has a lot better things to be doing than sending guys in to space. Clearly their leaders think otherwise. I'm happy that the guy made it back all right.

I'm kind of rambling aren't I?

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I'll say a few things:
1. I know English isn't your first language, but please keep in mind for the future: Russia = country, Russian = citizen of Russia, widget made in Russia etc

2. Most people like to downplay it, but its still a bit achievement. Fact is, if China wants to become a space player, it cannot have a manned mission to mars as its first project. Like with any other scientic/technical project, you have to start with the simple things, then add features as you go. Trying to do everything at once is a recipe for failure/disaster.

this costly and dependent project wouldnt really contribute much to our world, while majority of its population are sufferin from poverty
I disagree with this way of thinking, especially when applied to space and science in general. If we try to solve everyone's problem's first, there would be no scientific development. There was poverty in the USSR in the 50s and they still wen't to space. There was poverty in the US in the 60s and they went to the moon.
Look at what other nations are doing: Nothing much. NASA and the ESA are just kinda hanging around, sending a satellite every now and then, the Russians don't have the money to do anything. India is still busy developing their rockets etc...
I for one am very glad that at China has chosen to pursue space, and I hope they not only continue, but also pick up the pace a little. A chinese on the moon in 2008 would be great (even if there is really no chance of it happening, though they could do it by the end of the decade if they really want to).

Yes, the space program is very important, and nobody is ever gonna argue with you over that part.
hmm.... you mentioned about USSR were experiencing the hunger.. yah i agree with you... i can also tell you that the US has the highest percentage of people who are still living and suffering from the hunger. I somewhat agree with you that "If we try to solve everyone's problem's first, there would be no scientific development," but not entirely. Of course, every country has its difficulty, struggle, and concerned; also, the government has to work on those problems with very limited resources. When the US first began its Space Race, it was a developed country already. USSR was the only nation that competed in the Space Race against the US; USSR is a super-power, also.

Lets take a look at China:
first of all, it aint a super power; it is barely a 2nd-world country. Many ppl may argue about this, but just keep one thing in mind that total population for Shanghai, Beijin... and all of those well-known cities wouldn't be excessing 100,000,000 people when there are more than 1,300,000,000........... that means more than 90 percents of its population is not getting the type of life it deserves. As you mentioned, the Russian suffered from the hunger and it still continue its project... how brave! they were doing well for a while, and i think for a period of time they were in the lead over our NASA; and that's why we had so many space activities in 60's, 70's.

They continue its spending on advancing its military force, the Space Race with the US, the failure of Communism... etc All these thing had some negative impacts over its economic strength. Being the lead in military technology or Space programs may not be as good as it appeared to be. See how Russia is doing now compare to decades ago......
Despite the fact that Russian government still hold a lot technology on their hand, their people were sufferin from jobless, INFLATION, hunger...etc. On the other hand, German and Japan, the two most hated countries in WW2, they are two most industrialized countries, did not send any astronauts to outer space. Why? because they would rather spend more time workin on other issues. What kind of the industry can be used as a measurement of how each country is doing? Automobiles of course, German and Japan are very good at this. For Space programs, Japan and German are interested sending their satellites.

Russia spend some much money on the Space Race, what did they get in return? True, there were too many outcomes and political issues involved. The only reason Russia and the US are involved in Space Program is because both of these countries still have the ambitions to dominant the world, not necessarily with the econ influence, but also with the military strength. German and Japan were forbidden to have army expect COPS and Self-Defense-Team or wutever they were called..... They are doing about 100 times better than Russia. True, the Russian government still hold a high-end tech, but most of its people are not living very well... Remember the submarine thinging?? i cant remember how much the government pay them to help their soldiers' families to get through it... a few hundred or a few thousand US dollars/victim. Well, that amount of money cant even cover one month of my living expenses, but it is a big money to Russian community... thats how bad they doin now..
For the US, it did put too much efforts/budget in the beginning of the race, because NASA was kinda behind. The US can afford it and truly take advantages from the Space Programs, because it has a healthy econ to back it up.

If a few homes on my block own the helicopters and jets, and my house happened to have a few thousand bucks to spend. Assuming I just moved-in this rich neighborhood from ghetto and did not bring any furnitures, should i use this few thousand bucks 1) to buy a computer and TV.
2) buy a toy helicopter with remote control and buy a book on learning how to pilot a helicopter

according to what you suggested, you would rather choose 2 right? 2 is very important if and only if i already have 1) and other goodies'. Also, those two neighbors with real helicopters have the strength to own it. One with a lot money to wire people buildin it; one is not rich but has a lot tilented family member workin 24/7 to build the helicopters.

Why spending so much money on number 2 and you would probably not gonna get to enjoy it...... To really enjoy the Space programs and take advantage from space programs, it would take a few more decades, and most of its advantages are to the millitary.

mang.. i cant believe it, i was so tired and sleepy and went to sleep last night. Woke up a couple min ago and finished it...
hehe

UCSDHappyAsian

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
I'm not getting the point of this topic. That's not to say I'm against it or anything; I mean to say that it's not clear as to me if UCSDHappy is looking for research material or if he's trolling for opinions.

I'll share some comments, though.

UCSDHappy says:
I'm not sure I understand how these two things are relevant to one another... or maybe it's just a statement of fact followed by an opinion.

My family is from the southern parts of Taiwan (Tainan and Kaohsiung). My grandparents don't speak Mandarin. They speak Taiwanese and they know Japanese because the island was occupied in their time by the Japanese. My mother and aunts were forced to learn Mandarin because the Mainland Chinese took over during their childhood. The family speaks Taiwanese to one another. My mother and aunts (and some of my cousins) speak Mandarin with a heavy Taiwanese accent. I can hardly understand their Mandarin.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the things that happened when the Nationalists fled from the Mainland to Taiwan. Bad things happened to the people who were already in Taiwan.

Most of the Taiwanese people I know consider themselves Taiwanese and they distinguish themselves from the Mainland. It might be different for the people who came from the Mainland. My understanding is that the northern part of the island (Taipei if you want to generalize) are from the Mainland.

My point is that I don't know if there's a connection between being Taiwanese and a need to feel some nationalistic pride in Mainland China's accomplishments. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

The response from Taiwanese newspapers seemed to be overall congratulatory, but there were also articles expressing fear over China's advancement and the consequences for Taiwan. I'm not sure it matters one way or another. My opionion is that Taiwan would get smeared if China were to make a go at it. Whether the US and other nations would step up to protect Taiwan is not clear to me at all. The US is playing both sides of Taiwan and China. Officially, the US says that there is only "one China". This works well as it wants to trade with China (although we do seem to be doing a lot more buying than selling... but we are buying stuff at slave labor prices, so who's to complain!?). The US also sells decades old weapons technology to Taiwan and has leased F16s to Taiwan for about twenty years now. What's up with that??! My opinion is that the Taiwanese should spend their money more wisely... but it's all politics, I suppose. That, and maybe it makes the Taiwanese people feel more secure. I dunno.

I, myself, am American.

I mean, I was born in the States in an odd pairing of a first-generation Irish-American and a small Taiwanese lady. I spend about two months a year in Taiwan. I am happy for the Chinese and their accomplishment. I also think that it's sad that they need to go so far to gain themselves a little national pride. It seems a little deperate. The Chinese seem to have a nationalism that I just cannot understand. My friends (grad students) were up at all hours of the night to watch the Chinese women's soccer team play whoever a couple of months ago and their moods would track the team's success. As they ranted about this stuff, I held my tongue. I'm not sure they wanted to hear about how women's soccer is a sport that only young girls care about in America.

Overall, I feel that the Chinese should work on some of their more terrestrial problems in terms of raising the living standards of their people and dealing with these types of issues. The Chinese like to point out that we also have hunger and poverty in America, but it is not anywhere near the extent of what's going on in China. No where near it. The American living standard in the 1950s and 60s was also much better off that what people have in most of China right now.

As an example, I have two friends from China. My girl friend's parents are both doctors. They live in the city. They didn't have a place to bath in their apartment until the late 80s. Publis baths. No big deal.

My other friend's parents are professors. He talks about how he hates cabbage. It stems from the way his family ate cabbage all winter when he was a teen. They buried these things in the yard and dug them up as they needed them. He's about 32 now. It was normal at the time where he lived.

So what, right? It's just the way it is. These examples were Chinese cities, though. Do they sound like the conditions in the US twenty years before we put a man in space though?

It's my opinion that China has a lot better things to be doing than sending guys in to space. Clearly their leaders think otherwise. I'm happy that the guy made it back all right.

I'm kind of rambling aren't I?

hehe~~ chill out mang~ haha
tell u wut. i m doin a presentation and i am plannin to do it in a negative voice.....
keep one thing in mind, for debate or writing a agree/disagree paper, its usually hella easier going "against"
Therefore, i am doin it in a negative tone.

Yes, i went off topic a little.... but who cares as long as we are sharing our knowledge right?

forum is also a good source right?
anyways, good luck to u

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You have to start somewhere, so though they only put 1 man in orbit it still is a big step. I also don't think it's a waste of money, especially for China. The reason has to do with Population and its' over abundance, China has a vested interest in more space(no pun intended), for them to realize it one day will relieve Socio/Political pressures.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: UCSDHappyAsian
China became the 3rd country, after the US and Russia

soviet sojuz beat the US..

or is that not supposed to be in any particular order?