Command & Conquer 4: A dud?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
C&C4 looks like a bust, which is pretty much what I was expecting from the pre-release news. The gameplay actually sounds a bit like the infamous Sole Survivor. :p

It pains me to think of what we could have had now if EA never got their claws into westwood.

We would have gotten worse games if anything. It has been discussed here many times before that Westwood's track record became very inconsistent after RA1, long before EA had anything to do with them. C&C3 was much better than anything Westwood would have made at that point.

idling harvesters made their glorious come back

This was a problem in KW but I hadn't seen it in previous C&C games, even C&C3. Was it an issue somewhere earlier?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
wow, a 68 ouchies

I always liked the Red Alert series more...

But old school CNC was great... some of the very best RTS' ever made

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Sigh. I was looking forward to this, too.

Let's face it: The only new and interesting RTS's have to come from the Indie crowd.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Honestly, I didn't enjoy anything beyond C&C1 and RA1. I thought they were both absolutely superb (although what games weren't superb during that time period?). All the sequels, I thought, were pretty bad.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
With one exception (Company of Heroes) I play RTSs exclusively for single player.

Generals was good, C&C 3 was a nice little sci-fi romp, gameplay was fun if not really challenging or groundbreaking. C&C4 looks like a complete dud. Basically a rip-off of World in Conflict with unnecessary added bullshit. Never mind that you are required to log into EA's servers just to launch the game, even for single player. No way in hell I'm buying into that kind of DRM; and it is DRM. Saying it's for achievements and unit upgrades is about as retarded an excuse as you can get. Plenty of games out there with online achievements that don't require a freaking log in to launch.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like this is on a fast track to a Steam $10 sale. Shame I loved the series at the start.

Logging in to launch the game is BS, that combined with the no harvesting/fixed amount of unit points sounds like the makings of a bad game. I think they got so wrapped up in making the units pretty and take procedural damage that they forgot to look at how it actually played.

So Sup com 2 and now C&C, what game rehash gets ruined next?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Weren't people saying that this would take out SC2 and that base building was a thing of the past?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
They screwed it up in 3. I cannot stand the direction they've taken the series.

Especially those cartoon borders on all of the units.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
They screwed it up in 3. I cannot stand the direction they've taken the series.

Especially those cartoon borders on all of the units.

You're thinking of RA3. C&C3 didn't have any borders. It was originally Tiberian Sun that started this though, with the infantry having such borders and the voxels giving other units a cartoony appearance as well.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
As far as im concerned the only companies that are able of putting out a fun RTS are blizzard and (formerly) ensemble. everything else is an also ran.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
As far as im concerned the only companies that are able of putting out a fun RTS are blizzard and (formerly) ensemble. everything else is an also ran.

Never heard of Relic?

Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sorry but I've hated every Command & Conquor except 1 and Red Alert. So saying 4 is a dud is like saying Final Fantasy 8 is lame. By the time they got to 8 I had long given up on console games.

Renegade was fun, but nothing special. And easily forgotten.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
OMG you guys complain too much,, Flashing Explosive Stuff, is all I need to at least have some fun.

If you don't like $50, just wait till it's $20.

EXCEPT when it's SC2, now for thatttt, MY DREAMS WERE DASHED>...

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Never heard of Relic?

Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

homeworld was the best out of all those listed. I got on the beta and got the game when it came out, but always ended up going back to playing either starcraft/warcraft or age of empires.

coh and warhammer are okay, way better tha nthe C&C series but second rate

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
homeworld was the best out of all those listed. I got on the beta and got the game when it came out, but always ended up going back to playing either starcraft/warcraft or age of empires.

coh and warhammer are okay, way better tha nthe C&C series but second rate

To each their own, but for the record you're insane.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
OMG you guys complain too much,, Flashing Explosive Stuff, is all I need to at least have some fun.

If you don't like $50, just wait till it's $20.

EXCEPT when it's SC2, now for thatttt, MY DREAMS WERE DASHED>...

Then buy a flashbang and stop playing rubbish games :rolleyes:

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Then buy a flashbang and stop playing rubbish games :rolleyes:

OMG yes,, 50 dollar worth of flash bangs.. I've heard you can make them yourself.. I have no idea where to get gun powder though.

Just checking, Can you buy bullets when you don't own a gun?