Coming up, the Jeep Shawnee

Nov 20, 2009
As a forced name replacement to the Jeep Cherokee. Personally I think this is a lot of BS but only because this hadn't been an argued case (maybe my ignorance, here) in the past 45 years so why should they care now? Oh, because they think it is politically correct. But I stand by my suggestion for a name replacement.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
...the nameplate was retired in favor of the Jeep Liberty between 2002 and 2014....
So Liberty would seem to be the front runner. I don't know how "Grand Liberty" sounds, though.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
As a forced name replacement to the Jeep Cherokee. Personally I think this is a lot of BS but only because this hadn't been an argued case (maybe my ignorance, here) in the past 45 years so why should they care now? Oh, because they think it is politically correct. But I stand by my suggestion for a name replacement.

Did you read the source link to Car and Driver?

Reading the link, it appears that they didn't give it much thought until Car and Driver reached out to them to ask their opinion.
Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin gave his opinion in response to C&D. If you read the article, it appears his response was to give the same response tribes have been giving for decades.

In prior years
In 2013 - When Jeep star
When Jeep brought the Cherokee name back to its U.S. in 2013, a Cherokee Nation representative told the New York Times, “We have encouraged and applauded schools and universities for dropping offensive mascots,” but that “institutionally, the tribe does not have a stance on this.”

Last June
We hope the movement away from using tribes’ names and depictions or selling products without our consent, continues. We much prefer a cooperative effort than an adversarial one.

The issue appears to be white people won't stop calling the Cherokee nation over some fucking car name.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The Cherokee, just like everyone, has every right to control the use of their name. I hope they can work with Jeep to come up with an acceptable solution.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So send a $1,OOO,OOO contribution to the Cherokee nation and call it good. The over wokeness syndrone.

Reactions: cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think the name is perfect for a Jeep as the owners shed a trail of tears back to the dealer for yet more repairs and recalls.
I keep getting a notice for a recall that they haven't figured out how to fix for yet. Now it's the EGR cooler. 2014 Grande Cherokee ECO Diesel original owner. My car warranty for basically anything above the block is covered now to 120000 miles and I got over $3000 grand and down pipe filter (glorified cat) to boot. I'm afraid to say this, but my instrument cluster is back online continuously again after intermittently not working for about a year. I took it to the Shysler dealer and their magic black box machine said it was bad, that will be $150 dollars. Oh, and it will cost you $1700 dollars to replace it. It just needs to be removed and have to Fn contacts cleaned, dumb Fs. As soon as I find a video online how to get the damn thing out, I will do just that. They all stop at 2013.
Oops! I guess I was triggered.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So send a $1,OOO,OOO contribution to the Cherokee nation and call it good. The over wokeness syndrone.
Over wokeness is a thing for sure. Though I was hoping they'd call it Felicia. So when it takes off you could go

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm with Fenixgoon; it won't hurt Jeep to use a different name.

Using indigenous names is fine with consent, but so much of American culture treats the native population as little more than a marketing tool, and often a crass one at that (see the Braves and Chiefs as examples). The poor support for the nations themselves is salt in the wound.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The model name of a car getting changed is something that upsets you?

Take a step back and enjoy your position in life if this is something that sets you off. Everything else must be going near perfectly.

• Haha
Reactions: feralkid

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yesterday it was our football team. Today it's our Jeep. Tomorrow you'll be telling me that they'll want to rename our military bases and remove our statues.

You're ruining our history!

(sarcasm)

• Haha
Reactions: feralkid

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This makes no sense. The Shawnee is an Oklahoma Tribe of Native Americans.... Just like the Cherokee.

NM, should've read the article first. I have a bunch of cousins that are Cherokee and hardcore republican, and so claim to hate "PC." I wonder how they feel about this.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Excluding potential customers by disrespecting them is usually not a winning business model. Just ask Trump.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Excluding potential customers by disrespecting them is usually not a winning business model. Just ask Trump.
I don't know. Its worked fairly well for Fox News. But it certainly isn't an ethical model.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't know. Its worked fairly well for Fox News. But it certainly isn't an ethical model.
And just like Trump and Harley Davidson, Fox news is a damaged brand unable to generate any appeal outside its existing customer base.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And just like Trump and Harley Davidson, Fox news is a damaged brand unable to generate any appeal outside its existing customer base.
What'd Harley do? Besides being the favorite of redneck tough-guy wanna-bes?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What'd Harley do? Besides being the favorite of redneck tough-guy wanna-bes?
Their model line-up generally appeals only to existing customers, and they don't have an entry-level model.

Nov 20, 2009
The model name of a car getting changed is something that upsets you?

Take a step back and enjoy your position in life if this is something that sets you off. Everything else must be going near perfectly.
No, the over political correctness. Next they will be tell teachers to stop using red ink pens in grading because our little babies will forever get the message they are stupid. Oh wait.