coming out of the cave

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
They're still DRM'd and I stopped buying when hymn broke.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
getting car insurance and signing up for itunes..so easy even a cavewoman can do it....

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
getting car insurance and signing up for itunes..so easy even a cavewoman can do it....

I'm usually quicker to adopt new tech dunno why it took me so long on itunes but I'm seriously liking the selection of music.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN

I'm usually quicker to adopt new tech dunno why it took me so long on itunes but I'm seriously liking the selection of music.

because itunes sucks? drm sucks

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: So

If it's really that big of a deal, create a CD and then rip it, I believe that removes any MP4 security.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

If it's really that big of a deal, create a CD and then rip it, I believe that removes any MP4 security.

And reduces quality even more than it already is.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Leros

Why is the quality reduced?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: txrandom

Why is the quality reduced?

Because it's first compressed to .mp4 at a craptastic bitrate, then sold to you. You record as what amounts to .wav, then recompress to .mp3, you're compressing an item that's already been compressed.

You COULD re-rip the CD as Ogg, Flac or another lossless format, but that's almost sacriledge, since those formats are intended for music with no loss from the recording.

Save a high compression .jpg, then open it, rotate it like .3 degrees, then save as .jpg again and compare the two for the differences. It's not a perfect analogy, but it'll show you the general idea. Again, use high compression/smallest size/lowest quality to get the most dramatic results.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

And 99% of the world wouldn't be able to tell the difference, myself included.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

And 99% of the world wouldn't be able to tell the difference, myself included.

I hate to say it but I'm really liking itunes,it's quick and easy to use, they have a TON of music and it sounds pretty good to me.My days of wanting to fuss over a new gadget are pretty much over, I like a quick,easy user friendly interface,plug and play or begone imho.

dopcombo

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2000
Slightly OT, I don't own an iPod, but from what I've heard, does it sync with your PC to download the latest podcasts you subscribe to?

Reason I ask is because I'm trying to find a way to listen to podcasts in my car, and burning 1 CDR a day seems very silly.