Comcast Fiber

five40

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2004
I heard it through the grapevine (tech guy at my house yesterday) that Comcast is planning to roll out it's fiber to home service in 2007. He said had already taken some training classes on how to run fiber to the home. Anyone else hear anything?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Mellman
They need it to compete...however, I'm sure it will still suck because no matter how fast it is, it's still Comcast.

Fixed.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Are their lines fiber up until your house? Seems like it would take more than a year to lay fiber over a city. I know the company here that started brand new laying fiber is still working on it some 4 or 5 years later. They are probably about 80% coverage now, and it's not a huge city.

five40

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: royaldank
Are their lines fiber up until your house? Seems like it would take more than a year to lay fiber over a city. I know the company here that started brand new laying fiber is still working on it some 4 or 5 years later. They are probably about 80% coverage now, and it's not a huge city.

The guy said they had fiber out to all the nodes. He said they need to run fiber from the box to the home.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Cables companies laid out their fiber (HFC to be exact) a while ago to the nodes to support cable television. Then from the nodes it goes to coax cable to the houses. Cable internet can actually run VERY fast over coax cable with their hybrid fiber/coax network they have, especially when DOCSIS 3.0 actually gets rolling. They have no reason to run fiber to the individual houses.