Question Comcast Cable 200-Mbps ($80) vs. T-Mobile 5G 300 to 400 Mbps ($60)

crockman

May 15, 2005
At my Residence I've had Comcast Cable for 8+ years, they pretty much had a Monopoly till recently.
The Service has been very good, an outage only about Once every 6 months or so, not lasting more then 6 hours. They have always been rather expensive though.

T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is now in my Area. Their saying I'll get 300 to 400 Mbps, No Data Limit for a Flat $60 a month, no tax's or charges beyond $60.

So $60 a month from T-Mobile 5G at 300 to 400 Mbps is $20 Cheaper & 100 to 200 Mbps Faster then my Comcast 200 Mbps Cable, Sounds like a Heck of a Deal from T-Mobile.

Questions though:
Is 5G Internet any good ? Problems with Rain, Snow, Cold etc.. ?
Internet Peak Time Congestion problems with 5G ?
Anything I should know about before I abandon Cable for 5G ?

Btw Yes I could get Faster then 400 Mbps from Comcast but do not want to pay the High Price.

Thanks in Advance

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
You will almost never get a consistent speed with cellular Internet, especially as it ramps up and people end up choking the system. I have hotspot capability on my phone and I'm lucky to see over 20Mbps anywhere I go. I wouldn't trust any fake marketing by these companies...

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

crockman

May 15, 2005
Thanks for the Replies SamirD & VirtualLarry

Both your opinions are against the Wireless, I had kind of figured that myself. I thought maybe "5"G Wireless could be a worthy competitor to Cable, but i guess too good to be true, I'll stay with Cable

Reactions: SamirD

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not that DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 is a superior WAN technology (in and of itself), but by it's nature, Wifi / 5G / etc. is generally, half-duplex, and wireless technologies have higher latency than wired technologies.

Also, internet connections are generally oversubscribed. Wireless in particular gets hard-hit, when congestion appears. Much moreso than wired, generally. So while T-Mobile 5G Home Internet might be advertised as 400-500Mbit/sec, once more subscribers jump on, expect that to drop... sharply.

(FTTP generally being the "best" as far as performance and low latency.)

Can you get FIOS? $39.99 for 200/200 that is generally provisioned as 300/300? That's what I currently have.

Reactions: mxnerd and Shmee

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Depends on your use case. If you're an avid gamer, Comcast is probably the better choice. If you just do normal stuff like stream, surf, etc... Could be fine.

crockman

May 15, 2005
Can you get FIOS? $39.99 for 200/200 that is generally provisioned as 300/300? That's what I currently have.
Verizon Home Internet is not available in my Area, Fiber nor 5G.

Thanks for all the replies, you have answered what I wanted to know, I agree, Wired > Wireless (For what I use the Internet for is mostly Gaming)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, I can't believe it costs that much for you. My 1.2Gbit from Comcast only costs me about $80 (it is part of a package, but still...). Then again, there is actual competition where I am for other providers....

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Wow, I can't believe it costs that much for you. My 1.2Gbit from Comcast only costs me about $80 (it is part of a package, but still...). Then again, there is actual competition where I am for other providers....
yep, competition is key. I pay $80 a month for 100 down / 6 up. Internet only, to bundle it is not worth the double price.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
does the comcast have a GB Cap on it?
Comcast i know is notorious for putting on caps.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Comcast i know is notorious for putting on caps.

That's a good question, I started a thread back in december (in p&n) because Comcast announced a data cap nationwide starting this spring. Currently, only the Northeast was made exempt until 2021.

Some of their plans have no cap built in. Last time I checked, there were two plans (600mbps and 1000mbps) that were exempt, but they were bundled with other services and the costs were close to $200 per month.

My current plan will be subject to the data cap when they finally turn it on in the Northeast. But any plan subject to the data cap can be made unlimited for another $30 per month.

WRT the OP, I bet his Comcast does have the cap.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
WRT the OP, I bet his Comcast does have the cap.

Then he should add the price with the unlimited data cap, which makes his internet very expensive.

OP:
Have you tried to shop around? I feel like you should have one other ISP in your area.
I would assume at least AT&T.

crockman

May 15, 2005
Comcast in my Area has a Data Cap of 1.2 GB

It's only myself using my Internet so the 1.2GB Cap is not a factor, i do not even use Half of that

Have you tried to shop around? I feel like you should have one other ISP in your area.

Century Link is in my Area, but I'm not close enough to their tower to be of any use, so Comcast has a Wired Monopoly

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Then he should add the price with the unlimited data cap, which makes his internet very expensive.

OP:

The T-Mobile 5G plan probably has a hidden bandwidth cap as well. Even their "unlimited" plans will throttle you if you're a data hog and the network is currently busy.

Only the engineers at T-Mobile are probably allowed to know what that value is, but I bet it's around the 1 TB limit like Comcast.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depending on where you are in the country, Comcast has a data cap. The exception is currently the northeast (where Comcast is headquartered). But the caps has so far only been postponed there (2 or 3 times now). That said, the last time it was postponed was because Pennsylvania and New York started looking into the practice and the stated reasons behind it, and all of a sudden there was a postponement in implementation... I suspect that it will be attempted again at some point.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Comcast in my Area has a Data Cap of 1.2 GB

It's only myself using my Internet so the 1.2GB Cap is not a factor, i do not even use Half of that

Century Link is in my Area, but I'm not close enough to their tower to be of any use, so Comcast has a Wired Monopoly
1.2 GB??? Mine's 1.2 TB. With one steam game download, I'd blow 1.2GB out of the water.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z