Combining HTPC + NAS

scrubdubbins

May 13, 2012
What is the feasibility of a NAS/HTPC small form build under $500?

Was originally going to build a NAS with FreeNAS and Raid-Z and figured, well why not just have 2 virtual servers in the box, 1 running FreeNAS the other, Myth or some other user friendly media server.

Thoughts?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As long as you have dedicated disks, I don't think there is a problem. By dedicated disks, I mean an OS disk for the physical box. This might also contain the virtual disk OS image files as well for your 2 virtual machines, and then also have separate physical disks you are adding to the NAS virtual machine. Be aware that not all OS's work well when virtualized (and some work better with different virtual machine software than others).

scrubdubbins

May 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply Fallen, I will put together some specs tomorrow and hopefully buy during the upcoming black friday / blue monday deals. I would be using VMware to virtualize.

Any feedback on the g350 handling a virtualized home server? The goal is to shoot for low power consumption and be able to stream 1080p from NAS vm to media server vm. Small apartment dictates small footprint.

scrubdubbins

May 13, 2012
Here is the build for my HTPC / NAS

Intel Celeron G530
ASUS PH877-1 1155 INTEL H77 - Mini ITX board - 6.7" x 6.7"
6GB RAM
PicoPSU 120w-25v

VMware hypervisor and VM's go on dedicated OS drive - Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB 2.5" Sata 3.0Gb/s On Sale for $55 until 11/21 at newegg

For NAS drives:

3-4 high capacity 3.5" hdds

Ultimately, it would be nice to have a couple of cut outs in the front for USB plugins. There is no optical drive in this build. Would love to keep the box as small as possible, still unsure about heatsinks for G530 so that needs to be accounted for.

Thoughts?

Thanks ladies and gents!

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Ignore newegg reviews they mean nothing.

This drive is well reviewed and been out a while.

I have three already. For that price it's a steal.