Columbus Day?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I'm not one of those people who blames Columbus for the Indian genocide.
However, we know he didn't "discover" the Western hemisphere first.
I think it should be "Explorers Day". Celebrate all explorers. From those who go to the bottom of the sea, to those who go into space, to those reached the poles, etc.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
But if it weren't for Columbus, no one would know the world was round! At least that is what I was taught in elementary school...

I like the idea of explorers day more than Columbus day.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It is Columbus day so just accept it and move on. It is quite likely that others like the vikings came to the North American Continent. In the Book of Mormon there is a story of a people who came to the american continent shortly after the Tower of Babel was destroyed. There is also some evidence that China may have explored many locations or even established a settlement in the Americas. Then there are the stories of the Giants.

In Peru there is a site once inhabited by the Chan Chan Trading empire who sent trading ships all over the Americas. It is a conesco heritage site. They built buildings and walls of hardened mud. There is an entire city whith some of the mud walls still standing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
It is Columbus day so just accept it and move on. It is quite likely that others like the vikings came to the North American Continent. In the Book of Mormon there is a story of a people who came to the american continent shortly after the Tower of Babel was destroyed. There is also some evidence that China may have explored many locations or even established a settlement in the Americas. Then there are the stories of the Giants.

Racist! You forgot the Irish. ;)

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Yeah he was obviously just a cog in the wheel of the genocide machine, and a despicable person on top of that. All the same I don't really care - its important that kids are taught the truth in school, but the 'holiday' can stay as far as I'm concerned.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Do you realize that there are 14 threads started by you on the front page alone? Take a break, man.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Do you realize that there are 14 threads started by you on the front page alone? Take a break, man.

Hyperbole much?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: jbourne77

Hyperbole much?

Diarrhea of the mouth much?

Do you even know what that means? It's only an exaggeration if it's NOT TRUE. You know, like, "Diarrhea of the mouth much?" You're not actually pooping from your mouth (even if it does smell like it), but you do have 14 threads on the home page (at least as of my original reply).

Seriously, you don't need to regurgitate every little bean collision that takes place inside that little techs head of yours.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
Columbus did not discover the world was round. Even back then educated people understood the world to be round.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ICRS
Columbus did not discover the world was round. Even back then educated people understood the world to be round.

hehe. Educated people know that evolution is correct and creationism a myth.
I wonder if someday we will have a Darwin's Day holiday?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

He's not blamed for the smallpox, etc, that wiped out 9/10 Indians, but he did order the hands of natives in "hispaniola" be cut off if they didn't bring him enough gold. Why give him a free pass?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I think celebrating columbus is kind of like how it's completely ok on kids' tv to celebrate pirates. Arrr, I wanna be a pirate. From the wiggles to the most completely benign kids shows with pirates hunting for treasure. No mention ever made that pirates are murdering thieves. Our society enjoyts its fantasies.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

What is sad is they teach that Columbus proved the world was round in elementary schools all over.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Zorba

What is sad is they teach that Columbus proved the world was round in elementary schools all over.

This is probably true, but I haven't run across any students who were taught that. What's true is that Columbus got lucky. Not only did they know the earth was round, but they knew it was to far away to get to the East by going West. If America hadn't gotten in the way, Columbus would have died trying to reach his destination.

Oct 30, 2004
However, we know he didn't "discover" the Western hemisphere first.
I think it should be "Explorers Day". Celebrate all explorers. From those who go to the bottom of the sea, to those who go into space, to those reached the poles, etc.

When you say "discover", what exactly does that mean? In a generalized context, you could say that he "discovered" the New World for Western Civilization.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabirdIn the Book of Mormon there is a story of a people who came to the american continent shortly after the Tower of Babel was destroyed.

You say this as though the Book of Mormon has a shred of credibility when it's merely religious fiction.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Not the Indian genocide, but the genocide of the natives where he landed. A few decades after he landed, the population was literally decimated (reduced to one-tenth).

Why wouldn't you blame him for what he did?

I'm all in favor of ending Columbus Day which is a misguided celebration of our civilization's founding.

I'm happy to celebrate Italian culture, or the positive parts of our founding, not genocide.

I'd suggest that everyone read Howard Zinn's history of Columbus, after doing so I think pretty much every decent person would take issue with celebrating Columbus.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: Zorba

This is probably true, but I haven't run across any students who were taught that. What's true is that Columbus got lucky. Not only did they know the earth was round, but they knew it was to far away to get to the East by going West. If America hadn't gotten in the way, Columbus would have died trying to reach his destination.

I know I was taught that in elementary school, got the truth at home and in later grades. Then again that was in the South ;).