Colorado Walmart shooting 2 people dead, shooter at large, say police

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
this is news? who gives a shit? its america, deaths from guns just dont matter, moving on

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Saying killing Americans is part of mainstream islam anywhere is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous rhetoric. It like saying killing blacks is part of the christian religion because the KKK did it for a few decades at the height of their power whilst asserting christianity. There are however a lot of people and parts of the world who don't like Americans because of pretty straight forward political reasons; heck if you go to france or england and talk to a random french guy on the street, they will often have some very nasty things to say about US foreign policy or the general behavior of the average US citizen and etc and these are some of our strongest allies.

You say it seems like people are not assimilating but this is a huge overreaction and fallacy. When we have a US citizen who commits violent terrorist no one brings up the question of assimilation. Did this guy immerse himself in US culture and was this failure to really buy into US culture the reason why he went crazy and shot up a country music concern? If only that guy had immersed himself a little bit more and bought into US culture he wouldn't have gotten 40 guns, bump stocks, 10K rounds of ammo and shot at innocents before committing suicide. Someone assimilation only seems to come up with brown skinned terrorists and for them its seen as the way to end all terrorism, whilst white guys just get labeled as mentally ill. Anyway the reality is this perception of failure to assimilate likely comes from point samples on the news of bad events. You don't however get news reports that say "50K people from vietnam are doing just fine and also like hamburgers and watching football on weekends".

I don't know if anand is zero generation, first generation, etc. The point is based on his name and appearance alone, it is clear that we all are definitely winning from whatever immigration policy allowed Anand to end up being here.

The rest of your post is basically incomprehensible. All I'm saying is there is a background rate for everything. One car accident by an italian guy doesn't mean we should blacklist all italians from driving.

You're being Ben Affleck, don't be Ben Affleck. (the comments there give me hope for the future)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We can't talk about this, people still fall in showers. Until that is fixed we can't discuss this.

If the number of people killed by Islamic terrorism shows very favorably compared to other types of preventable deaths and there were already significant restrictions in place (or those restrictions were shown to do very little in the past when implemented) then how many billions should we spend and how many wide sweeping restrictions on everyone's rights, or outright removal of rights, should we put in place to improve those terror numbers even further? Maybe a federal database of Islamists? Perhaps doctors can ask if you're a Muslim.

I mean, we need these types of things put in place even if other things no one cares about kill us in far greater numbers, because its all about saving lives and not a political agenda. Amirte?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
If the number of people killed by Islamic terrorism shows very favorably compared to other types of preventable deaths and there were already significant restrictions in place (or those restrictions were shown to do very little in the past when implemented) then how many billions should we spend and how many wide sweeping restrictions on everyone's rights, or outright removal of rights, should we put in place to improve those terror numbers even further? Maybe a federal database of Islamists? Perhaps doctors can ask if you're a Muslim.

I mean, we need these types of things put in place even if other things no one cares about kill us in far greater numbers, because its all about saving lives and not a political agenda. Amirte?

Sorry we can't talk about it. Other shit to worry about. Dogs are being abandoned, until its addressed we can't talk about anything else.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Interesting tidbit about the "Diversity" visa lottery--I heard one guy on NPR who used to run the program say that it was the brainchild of Ted Kennedy, and it was actually a political stunt to get more Irish immigrants into the United States after immigration from Ireland slowed down (it slowed down because Ireland's economy was finally growing.) Early applicants tended to be "not the smartest" (lottery had lower qualifications) from Ireland and other Western European countries that were well off.

It definitely sounds like a program that should be retooled or completely eliminated--and it sounds like that's what the Gang of 8 agreed to.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That guy probably started shooting only when the cashiers refused to sell him cartons of cigarettes that he planned to distribute to children.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
We can't talk about this, people still fall in showers. Until that is fixed we can't discuss this.
Classic response. As soon as you lose the argument, move the goal posts. Never cite data or facts. Just move the goal posts and say something completely unrelated.

We are talking about it. US immigration is fine as it is; I am not concerned about islamic terrorism threatening my life in any sense (its not even in my top 20 things to worry about killing me or my family).. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support that people from whatever program that guy come in with are of any higher risk than say some white guy born Alabama or rural oregon or something when it comes to mass murder. To be honest, work shootings are way more a credible threat to me than some random terrorist anywhere. I'm constantly given people at work the sneaky eye and I definitely know where all the exists are.

If anything we could stand to have some more people from syria and northern africa come over for simple humanitarian purposes.

Last edited: