Colorado trip this summer.

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
We all live in PA and want to travel to Colorado this summer for a biking trip. Has anyone biked in high altitude before? how much harder is it than normal height. How much would you expect to pay for an SUV rental from PA to colorado for one week?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I did a budget.com rate check..and for a ford explorer for 7 days in June it came back with total rate being $377,.
Base Rate: 291.66 USD for 7 days
Surcharge Summary: 61.36 USD
Taxes: 24.71 USD
Estimated Total Rate: 377.73 USD

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Heh, what's "normal height"? Around here it's sea level. I'm in pretty good shape, but I get tired jsut walking around at lake Tahoe, which is something like 7000 feet.

fitzhue

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
I was hiking in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park at about ~13000 feet and let me tell you it was rough. I'm 19 and am in pretty good shape and so was my friend I was with. Even with small elevation changes, it took a lot out of me. I don't know if I was totally acclimated to the altitude at the time but nevertheless, I had a hard time.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Its definitely tougher...when I lived in Denver I had sea-level friends fly in and they would have a rough time on some of those hikes. Keep your hiking down to a minimum if you aren't there for an extended period of time to let your lungs get used to it.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Pex
We all live in PA and want to travel to Colorado this summer for a biking trip. Has anyone biked in high altitude before? how much harder is it than normal height. How much would you expect to pay for an SUV rental from PA to colorado for one week?

How good a shape are you in?
How "hard" do you expect to ride?
Where do you expect to ride? There's a big difference between riding around the front-range cities (5K to 7K ft) and riding in the high plains & mountains (9K to 14K ft). If your in good shape, you'll feel it at the lower altitude, but not to bad. At the higher altitudes, all bets are off.