Colorado - beautiful country, beautiful women, no traffic.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why the H-E-double hockey sticks didn't I come here sooner?!?

Only negatives so far . . . . and small gripes friends, believe me!

- Gas is 34 cents a gallon more expensive than in Indiana (not a big deal because the Governor of Indiana temporarily suspended the state gasoline tax - which is about 30 cents.

- It is 100 miles or so to the nearest large city (Glenwood Springs - site of Doc Holliday's death. "I'm your huckleberry." ;) Denver, which has everything a tech junkie could need, is about 200 miles.

Those are about the only negatives I can think of, actually. ;)

There's a health club across the street from my apartment building - guess I can't come up with a good excuse not to go, eh? They're pretty inexpensive too.

The cops here drive Durangos . . . yikeys, that must be expensive. The much vaunted "thin air" which my fellow coworkers, not wishing to see me leave, insisted was insufficient for a person of my stature and build, is crisp, clean of any Indiana humidity or pollution, and seems fine to me at 7,000 feet higher than Indiana. I haven't had any problems breathing or doing normal activities, including exercise. The six dollar combo meals at Wendy's are kind of a drag, tho . . .

Ye Gods, I'm rambling. CAN YOU TELL I'M FSKCING STOKED?!?

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Glad to see you are there now, Xerox. I followed your posts about whether you should or not, cult family issues, etc. and really hoped you'd just DO IT. May it all work out for you...

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Xerox Man,

Where are you? Sounds like you're so far from where I live. I like in Lakewood, just outside of Denver. Should get together sometime...Colorado is a great place. I'll probably never leave.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000

Xerox Man

Thats Peace and Tranquility country. I used to live there also. I was the first to install emergency phones on Copper mountain ski resort before the very first opening of the resort.I designed the system way back in the 70's. I have 2 of my sons living in Denver now and that gives me a good reason to visit often.

But alas, my wife does not like snow and cold,so here I will be, on the edge of the mojavi desert in souhern Utah.

Keep us posted on your new adventures in the high country.

Rocky Mountain High...John Denver R.I.P.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
SuperGroove,

Craig, on the western slope. Are there any other Denver or Colorado Anandtechers?

We ought to get together sometime for a LAN party . . .

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just moved to Denver (Northglenn) from LA 7 months ago...glad you're enjoying Colorado...

But don't expect mimimal traffic when you're down in Denver...at times it feels like LA during rush hour. :)

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
anywhere is better than Indiana !!!!

but wait until the winter really hits !!!

soon I will have to wear long pants, instead of shorts... hope to make it thru the winter with sandals only, again this yr

a week or so in Col is OK from time to time for the skiing, but to live there ?

snow belongs on Xmas cards, not in your yard !!!! or on your car !!

enjoy.... but don't call.. I'm already lookin South for warmer water !!

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I heard that the couple past winters in Colorado has been mild....we do get 300 days of sun per year also. :)

So snow here (at least in Denver) melts off pretty quickly.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's good to hear that you are loving it there! And look how quickly you got a net connection - didn't you say your choices were AOL or Tony's Internet Service and Bakery? :)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm, one of the downsides of leaving Atlanta would be leaving the beautiful women here, but the traffic issue is a nightmare lately. Maybe I need to look into Colorado!

Glad you're happy with the move, Xerox. I was out there one time in Colorado Springs, and it was some beautiful country. I drove through the mountains in January, and it was a sight to behold.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
<<But don't expect mimimal traffic when you're down in Denver...at times it feels like LA during rush hour>>

Just wait till they rip up I-25...

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
All i have to say is, IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME YOU MOVED THERE! :)

Glad you happy with your move. Now you can maybe catch some Suns games this year.

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
One added bonus you didn't mention is that it takes less alcohol to get the same effect dur to the elevation. Now that you have moved hear all I have to say is get the hell out. jk
I live in Loveland, just east of RMNP. Traffic may not be bad in Craig but is terrible on the Front Range. The cops in Aspen use to use Sabbs don't know if they still do.

I've been thinkg of moving to a different state because to many people have discovered the beauty of Colorado.

Edski

Jan 28, 2000
Welcome Xerox Man, I told you a couple months ago that you would love it here. I have LAN parties about once a month, usually on Saturdays while the wife is gone. Email me so we can hook up and go to Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs (Best pizza ever).

Pronto....what part of Northglenn? If you are the new guy next door that just moved in a while back...I am going to freak.

Supergroove...I work in Lakewood around Alameda Pkwy and Simms area.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
I went to school in Denver and hated it. The mountains would hold the pollution back and everyone gets sick with soar throats or strep. The mountains were nice (Estes Park) and other places but last time I was there it was too polluted. Even the beer cans I left from last year were still there!

Edski

Jan 28, 2000
Oh, one more thing, next week there is a computer show in Denver from the 20th to the 22nd. You can get some good deals if you look hard enough.

loogie

Banned
Oct 18, 1999
Go to the hippie town, BOulder, where even the parents smoke pot. :) It is a college town, so there should be no shortage of young, naive girls.

Edski

Jan 28, 2000
Pronto, my neighbor came from LA a few months back and I would have freaked if turned out to be you. I live around the 111th and Ogden area. Are you going to that computer show at the National Western building next weekend?

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry...still getting to know the area better...where is that bank located at?

What's the admission fee?

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Last time I went, it was $7.00 for admission.

Edski,

Beau Jo's is GREAT! I wanna try that 10lb pizza one day:D Alameda and Simm's Parkway...hmm...I'm down there sometime to pick up my mail near the federal center. That federal center is DAMN huge. I work at 20th and Wadsworth.

Wangel,

Pollution...puh leease...Lo Do is one clean act. Here you don't have to worry about getting wet by the rain. You're probably thinking of Aurora. BLECK!

Xerox Man, some cities you might like: Steamboat Springs, Nederlands, Colorado Springs, and Boulder.

As for Colorado being a tranquil state. It is not anymore...to many Californians messing up our fair state. Ever been riding up Federal BLVD? NO white man should venture there. Asians can, cause if you're Vietnamese, you're considered one tough cookie. I'm not vietnamese...but most people can't tell the difference.

I've seen Mustang GTs, and Camaro Z28 chase cars. VERY nice.

Our winters aren't ever bad. We might get 1 foot dumped on us, but the same day, or the next, it's all gone. School is almost never cancelled here. Snow one day, beautiful the next.

I'm VERY interested in some LAN meets. One thing I don't like about Colorado, is the mondo expensive computer prices. Not ChumpUSA of Screwyou City, but like the local shops. $330 for a V5 5500 at the Computer Cottage? Uh...No thanks. Also, stay away from Y2K Computers, formerly PKT. He's a nice guy, but I felt as if I was jipped.

Paul

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Even the beer cans I left from last year were still there! >>

dumbass.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Ever been riding up Federal BLVD? NO white man should venture there. Asians can, cause if you're Vietnamese, you're considered one tough cookie. I'm not vietnamese...but most people can't tell the difference. >>

Hmmm...I've gone up and down Federal a few times...it doesn't look too bad (although I wouldn't live there).

<< One thing I don't like about Colorado, is the mondo expensive computer prices. Not ChumpUSA of Screwyou City, but like the local shops. $330 for a V5 5500 at the Computer Cottage? >>

That's why I buy online. :) I'm more concerned about the astronomical housing prices. :(

Edski

Jan 28, 2000
I usually get a weekend pass to the show ($13), the cost at the door is $8 but if you find a coupon its usually for only a dollar off. I just sold off the last of my 60GB hard drives and have a few hundred dollars to burn a hole in my pocket. :D

So what do you say Xerox? Care to take a tour of the state on that weekend?