College students: what was your most ingenious (or desperate) food creation?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
When I lived in the dorms, I didn't have a car. It was late and I didn't want to walk to Albertsons to get some food. I didn't have any money on me for the snack machines either. All I had was a few slices of bread and lettuce. So, I ate lettuce sandwiches to solve my hunger problem.

Tonight, I was too lazy to drive to Albertson's to get some food. All I found in the cupboard was a few cans of tuna and a box of Hamburger Helper. So, I made tuna lasagna. Yummy.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Next time you are at Albertson's (grocery store I presume) look for Tuna Helper right next to the Hamburger Helper. I dunno what flavors they have tho.

Desperate? My friends and I would go to the dining hall with empty backpacks, fill em up with the nasty cheeseburgers, and eat em when the beer munchies kicked in. Nastiest burgers on the face of the planet, but they hit the spot after a long night of drinking.

Mac & Cheese that required butter and milk. Just used water. Wasn't all that bad, but I wouldn't do it again.

loogie

Banned
Oct 18, 1999
lol...Heh. My roomate last year was a vegetarian and he basically ate hamburgers...with no meat. Not even the faux meat...

Poontos

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
One time I cooked up some pasta, and I didn`t have any pasta sauce or ketchup (use to be all I put on pasta), so I used relish! It was pretty nasty! ;)

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Another time, I made fried rice...with frozen veggies, soy sauce, and sandwich meat. That one didn't go over so well. ;)

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Poontos,
When I was really little I would put ketchup on everything - pasta, even German potato dumplings.

Can't say I've had any desperate food creations. I just order pizza when I get desperate.
Or I get Napalm to go out and get me food :p

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
is beer a food?

as a good replacement for food... cigarettes.

oh the days of scrounging for food...

... and if you have a cheap pizza place that serves rubber ("pizza") by the pound for a nickel, go with that... cheap sustenance that kills your intestines.

ate mustard for a day.... then we got beer.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
my roommate made burnt chicken stirfry last night, it was pretty bad. i think anything made using stuff from the flied lice roach coaches on campus is pretty desperate.

e_mc_2

Oct 9, 1999
When I was in college I was lucky if I got some snack crackers from the vending machine or maybe even a brownie. A 4 brownie day was a very good day.

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Ketchup is my favorite food ... I put it on eggs, any kind of potato and any thing with meat... oh and ketchup biscuits are the best ... my friend saw sling blade and him with his mustard biscuits and forever after she would look at me and mutter "ketchup biscuits mmm hmmm"

Replevin

Nov 2, 2000
Quotes from former roommates:
Mike - "Damn, this is a good loaf."
Greg - "Fuck, I love ketchup!"
Homer - "Mmm, sixty-four slices of American cheeeez." (Well, not really.)

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
hmm.. Sam's... Where you can get Cup noodles for 0.25, hot dogs in a 50-pack, Chicken nuggets in 10 lb bags, and cheap frozen burritos in 25-pack..

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Yes, ketchup is good stuff. I eat it with almost anything. But ketchup biscuits is going too far in my book. :disgust:

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Talking about Sam's .. dont forget the corn dog nuggets .. one box and you can live for 3 weeks ... believe me I KNOW!!! lol .. hehe ... We didn't think we would ever finish that box ...

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Just went out for Nutella, bread, and Cool Mint ice cream. Cravings anybody? Hehe. :p
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
Bread and mayo....thats all. When I was really hungry and didn't want to go to the store or didn't have any money.

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
Hey Spoooon what's up? You ready for Oklahoma in a week. Sucks they didn't televise todays game. Had to listen to it on the damn radio.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Well, considering how poorly A&M played, I don't think I missed much. :( This weekend's game will be something else. If we show up ready to play, we might do okay.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Are you talking about sandwiches playing football?

Oh, wait, they're fruits, aren't they? :p

fishy101

Mar 21, 2000
corn beef and egg fried rice...that's all I had, that's what I made. I would never in my right mind do it again tho. yuck!!! :Q:disgust:

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
A friend of mine used to make this horrible conconction that he loved. He would take a pot, cook up some rice, put beans, hotdogs, and various vegetables into it, stir in soy sauce and ketchup, and call it lunch. Bleh. :disgust: