College students: What do you do for health coverage? Mine ended.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
My dad has Kaiser and they stopped covering me after I turned 19. They had something where I could still be covered if I was attending an accredited school full time and I sent that in, but I guess they didn't accept it. I go to San Jose State University.

Anyway, when my sister went to college, she didn't have any health coverage at all. She lived without going to the doctor for 4.5 years. What do you guys do for health coverage?

I'd try to live without it, but I used to get sick a lot, and I don't wanna take any chances.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
My school has health insurance for students, plus health care from the government... ;)

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The military covers me until I get out of college, or something like that ;) (my parents are in college, and all military dependants get free health coverage from the military)

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I got the school health insurance plan. Though it only allows me use of the clinic, everything free in there. Emergencies are $25 and depending on what you get fixed, it'll cost you anywhere from 10-30% out of pocket. $10 drugs.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: brtspears2
I got the school health insurance plan. Though it only allows me use of the clinic, everything free in there. Emergencies are $25 and depending on what you get fixed, it'll cost you anywhere from 10-30% out of pocket. $10 drugs.

Hmmm...

Sounds like I'll have to check out my school's health center. How much does it cost? I'm already paying a crapload for tuition so I'm guessing not very much? I don't work and my parents are poor. Such a lethal combination. :( I have a job interview this week though, so I'm not that lazy ;)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
As an undergrad, your university should give you some coverage. For instance, you may be allowed to go to see the doctor free of charge, but any lab work or x-rays will cost you, as will perscriptions.

I bought a health insurance plan as a grad student for $650 per year. I have a huge deductable because I rarely go to see the doctor, and the facilities on campus are free. In fact, I don't think I've been to a doctor in 2 years. I don't get sick very often, and when I do it is fairly mild (low fever, sore throat, cough, etc). The coverage I carry is mainly for emergencies, accidents, or extreme situations. For instance, if I got appendicities, I would need the insurance to cover the operation and the hospital stay. If I suffered major organ failure (kidney or liver), I would need the insurance to pay for the transplant, hospital stay, etc. Now, these things won't happen, but if they did, I couldn't afford to pay for them on my own. Hence the insurance.

See what your school covers, and also see if they offer plans to their students. Look into buying insurance from an outside company. If it is all too expensive, then eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and don't get sick.

Ryan

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I have one with my parents until I'm 21, a full-time job that provides health insurance, and school health insurance. :)

Fvcken UC Davis makes you buy health insurance if you don't have any. I didn't submit my form in time that I already had it so they charged me.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Thanks rgwalt

I'll be sure to check out what the school has to offer for me. If not, I think I can get into the MediCal program. My family survived on MediCal for about 17 years, so I think it'll work for me.