College Rings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
rings on men (other than wedding and superbowl rings) are a little on the fruity side.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: roguerower
I just bought my 2xCollege Rings this afternoon. The reason for buying 2 is that I go to Virginia Tech and am in the Corps of Cadets. It is traditional to buy a nice ring (Gold, Stone, etc) and then what is known as a "Battle Ring" which is worn around when you are in situations that would ding up or hurt your nice ring.

I know that this is a big tradition at most Military schools however I was wondering what about the rest of the college world. Here at VT it's pretty much known that while civilians may buy the rings, in general they won't wear them for nearly as long or as devoutly as a cadet.

I wear mine, but you should have gone up the road and earned a really nice ring...at VMI. ;)

Congrats on your new rings, cadet. Keep track of them and don't lose your combat ring like I did. One word of advice -- KEEP YOUR FINAL RECEIPT! Keep the one that shows you paid in full because if your ring company is like mine (it was ArtCarved), they will replace the ring(s) once for any reason (loss, theft, damage), but you must have the final receipt or no free replacement.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I bought one. Wore it for a couple of months and now it's in a safe deposit box. Waste of money for me.

Sum it up for me too.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I never bought one. I don't wear rings though. If I did then I probably would have gotten one since I really enjoyed college and have pride.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
What about the people that buy a HS class ring? :laugh:

those people usually figure out it's a waste of money afterwards and not buy the college ring.

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
waste of money. if you get married and wear a wedding band, you won't want to wear another ring...unless you want to look like Mr T

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Like Codewiz, I went to clemson. In sales, it starts some good conversations. I was once in Tocumen Airport in Panama City, Panama. All of the sudden I hear "CLEMSON!" and turn around and the pilot of the plane I'm about to get on introduces himself "Bob Smith, Class of '85".

He obviously was a cheeseball, but I think the College ring can be a good thing. The people who call it useless are wrong, though.

*edit*

A high school ring might just be considered useless, unless you got a gold one and you can pawn it if you ever need money.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: roguerower
I just bought my 2xCollege Rings this afternoon. The reason for buying 2 is that I go to Virginia Tech and am in the Corps of Cadets. It is traditional to buy a nice ring (Gold, Stone, etc) and then what is known as a "Battle Ring" which is worn around when you are in situations that would ding up or hurt your nice ring.

I know that this is a big tradition at most Military schools however I was wondering what about the rest of the college world. Here at VT it's pretty much known that while civilians may buy the rings, in general they won't wear them for nearly as long or as devoutly as a cadet.

I wear mine, but you should have gone up the road and earned a really nice ring...at VMI. ;)

Congrats on your new rings, cadet. Keep track of them and don't lose your combat ring like I did. One word of advice -- KEEP YOUR FINAL RECEIPT! Keep the one that shows you paid in full because if your ring company is like mine (it was ArtCarved), they will replace the ring(s) once for any reason (loss, theft, damage), but you must have the final receipt or no free replacement.

VMI....HAHAHA :) . I got the small one because it doesn't stand out too much, however my battle ring is huge. Saluting with that thing is going to need some getting used to and if it only weighed 2 more DWT. I've got my receipts sitting right in front of me and they will stay there for the next 6 months until Ring Dance.

As for HS rings, I didn't buy one because it was useless in my opinion, but college ring considering all the stuff I've been through in the Corps and all the friendships and bs that I've done w/ my buds, easiest way to remember it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: tfinch2
What about the people that buy a HS class ring? :laugh:

those people usually figure out it's a waste of money afterwards and not buy the college ring.

my dad wears his every day, has for almost 40 years now

some people like them, some dont

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
When you graduate from college you should move on already.

If you went to an Ivy league school, you might want to show off. Get a ring, you're rich anyways.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hell no. Lamer than a High school ring; and about on par with hanging a CD from your rearview mirror.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20
it is big in the at texas a&m where they have their paramilitary culture (corp of cadets)
over at texas-austin people dont care

I'll most likely buy my Aggie ring, but I'll probably rarely wear it on ordinary days.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Buy a Alumni plate frame.....

aside from a Harvard MBA ring I would never own a college ring.

I do have my Alumni license plate frame on my car.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
The more I read this thread, the more I want to find my HS ring just to see my reaction to the idea of wearing it.

MotionMan

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
WE get a lame "iron ring" here in engineering. Think it's free too, but I wouldn't wear it. Say I go to work: "Look at me, I went to college, whoopie do, you all did too...". Unless you really need to flaunt school "spirit" or something...

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

Military schools are the exception, especially for those in the military. For the VAST majority of civilian schools, I can understand why people don't buy them nor wear them.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
Buy a Alumni plate frame.....

aside from a Harvard MBA ring I would never own a college ring.

I do have my Alumni license plate frame on my car.

Be aware that plate frames are illegal in some places now. I got pulled over in Texas for having a plate frame. Apparently, if it so much as covers up any part of the license plate, then it its illegal.

The trooper said it was a new law passed only a few months ago, so he only gave me a warning.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

Military schools are the exception, especially for those in the military. For the VAST majority of civilian schools, I can understand why people don't buy them nor wear them.

That's the general feel I'm getting from the responses here.