College related: The big question

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
I have at least four forests of college pamphlets and large information packets associated with the them. I threw the ones that are out-of-state out, I don't intend on going to a college outside of my state's system (I'm in Wisconsin, lucky me). The tuition for each school, thats in state, look good to me (5-18 grand) but my biggest worry is my education. My hopes were reliant on a fact that my High School Counciler told me: "Every college within the UW system equilibrates it's workload and is enforced by the state authority". I found out that his statement was false, the truth is other schools have better classes and better benefits (the ones that are prestigious and competitive) that other schools can't really beat. Tuition is not a problem and the location issue is settled, but I am very (I will stress the "very") worried about my education.

There are several things I can learn before I even go to school, such as modding video games and understanding C+ programming on Operation Flashpoint (or even in general, that is if I get an instructional book from the library). I am looking into the field of video game designing; I like drawing (although I don't do it as much as I would like to), and I love video games because it is what I do most of the time and creating them would give me tremendous pleasure. I know that field is extremely competitive but a participant who is willing to learn beyond the limit of college has the upper hand in the industry (I believe, please tell me if this statement is a hit or miss). Education is important but so is the job placement privilege that a college gives to it's students.

I want a college that offers both good education and a promising job placement privilege. I don't know if such a college exists but if any Anandtech members are a part of such a college or even has knowledge of one, it would be surely appreciated if you shared your thoughts about the subject. I'm open for opinions and suggests as well. Thanks alot for reading and even more for contributing :).

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
For videogames? Well, Digitech (really, really good program) and Full Sail (if you don't mind living under HUGE debt) are famous for a reason. Graduate from either of those and you're pretty much guaranted SOME kind of position in the industry. Which avenue of video games do you wish to purse? Coding, character and level design or interface work? Do you have experience now? Whatever you do, make sure you get some kind of degree no matter the field.

Two IGDC's ago I shopped my portfolio around and was told by every single place I showed my portfolio that I had what it took and I would have been hired on the spot if I had a degree but there was just no way to prove that I would be able to meet deadlines and actually produce when it came to projects. I'm working on that now.

Originally posted by: evolvedbulletI know that field is extremely competitive but a participant who is willing to learn beyond the limit of college has the upper hand in the industry (I believe, please tell me if this statement is a hit or miss).

False. After your first project, references and portfolio are far more important than anything else. Change in the video game industry is a constant for all aspects of the industry. You will be learning new skills related to your job or otherwise for the duration of your career if you decide to enter into the video game industry.

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Zaitsev
clifs?

1) OP wants a school in Wisconsin
2) Very super serious about education (cannot be stressed enough)
3) Wants to design video games

Thats what I got

Edit: I was speed reading...I swear :eek:

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
lol I hope I didn't inadvertently derail your thread...

misreading ftl

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Sumguy
clifs?

Thats what I got

Do they even have "super serious" schools for video games? It seems like those schools are just excuses for people who just want to play video games all the time.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
As an attendee of two UWs and a gradient of one, I can tell you as far as the rest of the world is concerned there is only one UW and it is in Madison. Many of the other schools in the UW system have strong programs in particular areas, Whitewater for Business for example, but for an overall university education with consistent high quality across programs and departments none of the others can touch Madison. Also, only Madison is going to give you exposure to an international research university environment. This may be great, it may suck, but either way, you won't experience it at the other system schools.

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Originally posted by: rockyct
Originally posted by: Sumguy
clifs?

Thats what I got

Do they even have "super serious" schools for video games? It seems like those schools are just excuses for people who just want to play video games all the time.

Apparently Digitech and Full Sail do, but I haven't heard of them.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
This is alittle bump here but its a statement worth adding:

I make OK grades and I can create the commitment required to finish deadlines and such. I want to get the education but getting into college is the first step towards my career goal(s). Madison is extremely competitive and I wouldn't be able to get into that school by means of typical admission. I do, however, have the privilege of the federal "DVR" services within the state of Wisconsin plus I am mentally handicapped (details available by means of request). I can transfer into Madison without a problem but the Department of Video Game Creation (or something like that) wouldn't have any seats left. I had prior experience with the Drafting Department at Madison, I didn't apply at all because my councilor told me that the department fills up pretty quickly right at the start off of the year, I don't want to experience de'javo lol. But seriously though, admission will be a problem; it isn't the biggest problem on my mind at the moment but this is certainly one of the selected few fish to fry. Do I need to talk to the councilor at Madison for more information (or by internet means if possible, I don't want to drive 1/2 way through state for information that could ultimately be rendered useless) or can I get all the information on their website (I am dazzled in confusion when it comes to their website. The design is very cheesy for a high profiled school). Thanks again for reading and even more for participating.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
sonambulo get off my avatar.

The only "super serious" gaming school I know of is Full Sail, and well, you know how much that costs...

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
My cousin started at Blizzard by working as a GM for 1.5 years. He immediately started applying any open positions under design at the Blizzard HQ. Eventually, he got a starter position for a quest designer for WoW. He had the advantage of being a very hardcore, dedicated WoW player with huge amounts of creativity and the status that he was already a 'Blizzard grunt'.

Grades aren't everything in the video game industry. It's your dedication and creativity that helps you advance in it. Video game programming is quite boring and tedious. Designing the video game is more fun, such as gameplay, the ideas, storyline, etc. That's where the big bucks are and you cannot learn that at some school or institute. You either have great creativity and imagination or you don't. The programmers are the grunts.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
WI has reciprocity with MN, so if you want to get a little farther away from home, the twin cities might not be a bad idea.

as far as a good education and job placement (are you really asking this?), it normally goes that the better the school, the more the job opportunities straight out of school. After a few years, it doesn't matter as much, but if you end up somewhere miserable, employers will always look at it and wonder how dedicated you are.