college grads: do you get a permanent edu email from your school?

college grads: do you get a permanent edu email from your school?

• yes, same email I had during school stays open forever

• I get a special alumni address

• no, I don't get anything

Results are only viewable after voting.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm curious. My school shut off our email address a month or so after we graduated, and I'm pretty sure we don't even have an alumni email. A friend of mine says he gets to keep is normal edu address forever, and others say they get special alumni ones. I'm curious about how wide spread this is, as a lot of places have special "student only" prices and such that require an edu address. If schools kept email addresses than anybody that ever attended the school could get in on such things. Just seems odd if a lot of schools do this.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I got a alum e-mail that ended in .edu Haven't tried it for any of the deals though.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I had the option of paying a yearly fee to keep it. Pass.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
It has been over a year since I graduated and I still have my same e-mail address. Chances are I will get to keep it forever, since it is my initials plus some unique numbers at the end...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i've got a free @utexas.edu email address. it's not the same email address because i think they retired the old email server (mail.utexas.edu) in favor of this new google system. i don't use it much.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I get an alumni, but I think I get to keep my original too?

After I finished undergrad, I kept using my original, even through my master's. But now after finishing my master's, they say they're giving me an alumni one... They revamped their email system now - using online webmail now.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
I'm curious. My school shut off our email address a month or so after we graduated, and I'm pretty sure we don't even have an alumni email. A friend of mine says he gets to keep is normal edu address forever, and others say they get special alumni ones. I'm curious about how wide spread this is, as a lot of places have special "student only" prices and such that require an edu address. If schools kept email addresses than anybody that ever attended the school could get in on such things. Just seems odd if a lot of schools do this.

not sure how to respond to this.

my email that i got through one of my schools still works. that was my undergrad, 4 years ago graduation. they told us they were gonna disable it, but it keeps working. transitioned it to google apps, so i had to re-setup the auto forwarder.

i got no email from my second school (CC)

i got an email through my third school, that doesn't work. (disabled month after semester end, CC)

just got email through fourth school, works, but i'm in the school, so it should.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I had the option of paying a yearly fee to keep it. Pass.

yeah, it was like this for me.

I think most schools have since provided the "legacy email account," but back when I was banging, a life-time email address was quite rare.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
as for education discounting--most of those places (well, they used to) required current, valid, identification that you are student of faculty or staff at an educational institution--in the form of a scanned ID--to register for education pricing.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Mine stayed the same as when I was in school, I just forwarded it to my regular email.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I got an alumni account. It's through Gmail but it's it's an @alumnu.university.ca. I use it for semi-personal stuff or if I need to send a personal email when I'm at work. My ISP email is my personal but I can only receive email if I'm not on their network. Ghay.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
The University of Minnesota let me keep my @umn.edu email address. Only thing is they will temporarily disable it (deleting any saved messages) if you don't access it for three months. But you can call in and they'll turn it back on.

Also, they switched to Google apps for their web interface after I left and I can't get on there now. So I have to use their crappy old webmail interface instead. Oh well, I don't use it much, just for a couple things where I had to use an email address without free and open registration.

Apr 12, 2010
IIRC. We were just given @hotmail addresses. Nobody EVER used them.
And most times even though we were told they created an email for us, they didn't, so we were supposed to make one ourselves. Nobody did that either.
If they did make emails for us, most times, the login we were given was incorrect.
I heard rumors they switched over & began offering .edu emails. But that has been a while.
Wouldn't mind looking into it, see if I can get an .edu email just to use for signing up the student discount on Amazon Prime, more than anything.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
No. I lost mine when I graduated. I didn't like it much anyway... it was the first three letters of my last name + first four letters of my first name.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
The University of Minnesota let me keep my @umn.edu email address. Only thing is they will temporarily disable it (deleting any saved messages) if you don't access it for three months. But you can call in and they'll turn it back on.

Also, they switched to Google apps for their web interface after I left and I can't get on there now. So I have to use their crappy old webmail interface instead. Oh well, I don't use it much, just for a couple things where I had to use an email address without free and open registration.

gophermail, booo. I switched to google email, works better...and much nicer. I am still a student though.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
I think we got an alumni email, but then before our regular edu email accounts were set to expire they changed it so that we could keep the address permanently. They're not actually hosting the email, but they let you redirect anything sent to your edu address to an email account of your choice permanently.