college choices.

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
Alright, it's been a year of me dicking around at a local community college taking general courses and I need to pick a general direction and transfer over to a University. (Likely University of Central Florida)

I thought I was onboard with the Computer Science degree. I am good with the programming courses and dabbling in minor things like modding WoW addon code. Then I saw the pre-reqs... I am required to take Calc1, Physics w/calc1, Calc 2, Physics w/calc2, Trig, Statistical Methods, etc. BEFORE I get into any type of real major-specific courses.

Now, I have some trouble doing normal college algebra stuff to pass the tests, let alone actually remembering how to use it in the real world. Can I remember how to consistently factor and simplify complex fractions with polynomials in them offhand? **** no.

To anyone using a CS degree in the real world:
Do I need these high end math skills on the job? How and when do you use them?

--

All of the above brought me onto the topic of Digital media. I'm fairly unfamiliar with what the degree would get for me. I would enjoy something web-based, and I don't want to get stuck making ads or something for a magazine. The one digital media class I took, I could have literally slept through. I've taught myself a fair amount of photoshop and it all came naturally to me. The plus side is there's no high end math courses here.

To anyone in this area:
What kind of paths would a Digital Media degree open?
I think working in the game industry is my main dream right now, but after reading horror stories about animators/modelers being treated like **** and programmers being treated like demigods, I'm not sure i want to jump into something like that.
Also: I've heard a lot of people say you need to draw to be in this area, especially doing something like game art, and my hands are about as steady as a Parkinson's patient and my drawing ability is limited to stick figures.

--

TLDR:
CS degree has lots of math and I suck at it.
Whats a digital media degree all about?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Are there any colleges in your area that offer a CIS (computer information systems) degree? It's more...err.."practical." Generally less math and more programming/other things such at networking.

Of course, people will bicker back and forth which degree is better, but I doubt it would matter much either way to most employers.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I rarely use "high end math" and have been programming for 12 years. I use set theory and statistics more than I use physics, trig or calc however I do use computational theory for determining the efficiency of code.

I really enjoyed my math classes but honestly couldn't answer 95% of the questions on any of my old tests now. It is simply something I don't use.

Programming is something you will either love or hate. I hesitate to consider WoW add-ons great introduction to programming because it is fairly glamorous and visually appealing. Most programming isn't glamorous and you don't get to "see" the results. I think if you are the type of person who likes to solve puzzles you will like programming. I don't have much experience with video game programming but I have heard it isn't what you would think.

Schloonce

Mar 29, 2007
I went to Florida State and got a B.S. in Information Studies - the program didn't prepare me at all for the real world. Most of the courses were "theory" and no practical work whatsoever (only had 2 or 3 classes in a computer lab). An IS degree (if it's like a CIS degree) will not prepare you for a job in digital media.

I started out as a CS major, but with a CS degree you automatically get a Math minor. After Calc2 and Physics2 I realized I hated math, so I transferred to IS. I'm sure you will need most of the skills you learn from the math classes, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

In my experience, a college degree will get you an interview, but your experience and IT certs will get you a job.

BTW - I went into system/network admin stuff, so my advice may or may not apply :confused:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you want to do software development, BS CS will get you more interviews and a much better chance of being hired than an IS degree. You'll also need the extra coursework from a CS degree to prepare you for the job.

You probably won't use the math much unless you work on graphics, physics or other scientific, financial or statistics-based applications. Database programmers rarely need to take derivatives.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Think of them as weeder classes, only not so much. CS can be thought of as applied math, so it's understandable that they require you to take so much of it. However, your employer isn't really going to care how well you did in those classes, unless you bombed them to hell. If you really have a knack for programming or you think you want to work in that field, getting an internship/work experience will help A LOT in getting a job. My roommate is a CS major, has like a 3.8GPA, and he got an internship with CISCO. They NEVER asked him his GPA, but they did ask him some questions regarding CS. So if you know your stuff, that is better than getting excellent grades.

I say go for CS. More options is a good thing.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
I thought I was onboard with the Computer Science degree. I am good with the programming courses and dabbling in minor things like modding WoW addon code. Then I saw the pre-reqs... I am required to take Calc1, Physics w/calc1, Calc 2, Physics w/calc2, Trig, Statistical Methods, etc. BEFORE I get into any type of real major-specific courses.

That stinks... at my school even freshman get to take some intro CS courses.

Do I need these high end math skills on the job? How and when do you use them?

Depends on the job. Most don't use the math you learn, but I suppose it helps you learn how to think. If that makes any sense.

Easier to get into games with CS plus they pay the engineers more, but that's one of the places where you'll need math (like linear algebra).

Guess you could try those math courses. If you bomb them change your major.