Collectible? Douglas Adams autographed item. [PICS included]

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Before Douglas Adams died I received the PC Game Starship Titanic (this is an old Win 95 Game on 3 CD's based on his book of the same name). The inside manual is signed by Douglas Adams (see pics).
Should I hold on to this as a collectible now that he has passed away and his popularity is climbing due to the hitchhikers movie? or do you think it'll just be a worthless dumb game taking up space in my CD rack?
Autographed CD game manual
Game CD Front (scratches are in the plastic case, not the actual insert)
Game CD Back

Edit: Douglas Adams = Author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

EDIT:UPDATE (for those that are interested): auctioned for 43.00 + 9.99 S&H.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I've just never been a reader of his books and stuff, and really didn't know much about him until recently, so when I was cleaning my junk room I found this game and remembered it was signed by him. Seems like he has a "cult like" fan base so I thought it might actually be something collectable at this point, but then again it may just be a worthless pile of crap. I dont know....

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: aircooled
Before Douglas Adams died I received the PC Game Starship Troopers (this is an old Win 95 Game on 3 CD's). The inside manual is signed by Douglas Adams (see pics).
Should I hold on to this as a collectible now that he has passed away and his popularity is climbing due to the hitchhikers movie? or do you think it'll just be a worthless dumb game taking up space in my CD rack?

[ Picky mode /on/]
May want to change that to Starship Titantic.
[Picky mode /off/]

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Before Douglas Adams died I received the PC Game Starship Troopers (this is an old Win 95 Game on 3 CD's). The inside manual is signed by Douglas Adams (see pics).

[ Picky mode /on/]
May want to change that to Starship Titantic.
[Picky mode /off/]
HAHA. My bad edited :) must have had the other movie in my mind

KoolAidKid

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2002
I second the ebay idea. Let us know how it works out if you decide to do this.

I have a similar item: a draft manuscript of Carl Sagan's last book. Inside the front cover is a letter signed by Carl Sagan asking for comments on the manuscript. I have no idea if it's worth anything; I just thought that it was a cool thing to have so I took it when an acquaintance of moine offered it to me.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Thanks guys. I'm going to put it on ebay as soon a I finish typing this post. I'll do a 7 day auction with a 9.99 starting bid (judging by the one Hossenfeffer linked to).

I'll let you know if it sells.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Hell, I got it for free from a friend when he moved, so anything I sell it for is 100% profit. He got it signed at a convention or book signing years ago.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Hell, I got it for free from a friend when he moved, so anything I sell it for is 100% profit. He got it signed at a convention or book signing years ago.

If I actually had some cash, I'd offer to buy it. have wanted a copy of this game to try out, just for nostalgia.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Well, it's posted on ebay now. This will at least see if the Douglas fans have any interest in it...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Now I've got to go and search for it... this would have been a collectible item even before the movie came out.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Now I've got to go and search for it... this would have been a collectible item even before the movie came out.

pm'd you the link so you don;t have to search hard :)

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
I had a copy, good game, funny too. just like his previous two infocom text games.

it's probably a rare game now, not because of the autograph.