Collasped Lung, how critical?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Anyone know how serious collasped lungs are? My father-n-law was injured in a farming accident where a dead tree fell on him while on his tractor. Apparently he has some broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and something wrong with a kidney. I don't have much info, but of the three, the lung issue would seem to be the most serious. When a lung collaspes, is it re-inflatable?

KK

jlee75

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2001
collapesd lung and kidney damage can both be pretty bad...... sorry to hear that.... you can check webmd for more info.... :(

-edit-
i think collapsed lung can be reinflated, or at least the person can be on a respirator.... what kind of kidney damage?

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Yes, it is re-inflatable. A lung collapses when it separates from the layer of tissue connecting to the rest of the body. Usually air or fluid occupies the space. The doctors will drain the air/fluid and "suck" the lung back in place. Sounds like he will be just fine. Afterall, he has a second lung and a second kidney, right? One thing you will have to watch out for is pnumonia or other lung diseases setting in with the collapsed lung and broken ribs.

Ryan

Oct 16, 1999
I think collapsed lungs aren't usually considered serious unless you some other sort of respiratory problems like severe asthma or CF.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm not sure what kinda kidney problems he has. He used to smoke for about 45 years and I do think he has a mild case of emphasima(sp??) but he wasn't on any oxygen. I hope that doesn't complicate things any more. We're going to see him tommorrow, evidently this happened on Tuesday and we just found out late tonight, because they didn't want us to worry and for us to go on vacation this weekend.

KK

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Serious but not life threatening if treated immediately. It isn't affected ny smoking or anything like that. Unless there are complications he should have a full recovery.

Aihyah

Banned
Apr 21, 2000
didn't clooneys character in three kings have a collapesed lung? survived with a cheesy fluid release valve hah, i know its just a movie but it does seem plausible. so not that serious:p

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
one of my friend's had a collapsed lung and actually had half of one his lungs removed.. but he still plays sports normally with 75% of the breathing ability of a normal person. I think your father in law should be fine after a decent recover period.. i know broken ribs are a painful recovery... it hurts to move normally

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
All I know on this matter is that one of my roommates' lungs spontaneously collapsed and he didn't really notice it for a few hours. At that point, he went to a hospital. He now has a metal plate in his chest with no tangible consequences except he's able to say "dude, I have a metal plate in my chest."

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Collapsed lung (pneumothorax) can be bad, if not corrected, ususally with a chest tube to a sealed drainage apparatus, I've had a chest tube after a m/c accident. It'll heal with treatment, but it & the ribs will hurt for a long time.

Kidney damage-one can live with 1/2 of 1 kidney for natural life span, that's why people can donate a kidney & still live.

He'll most likely be fine & out of the hospital in a week...