Cold weather hunters & hikers

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
MY boots are about 6 years old and I need to find a new pair of hunting boots.

Most of where I hunt is very steep sloped, and slick, so the lighter the better for walking, also necessary is good gripping tread.
However, sicne most of hunting is just sitting, your feet tend to get cold.
(Ave outside temp 20F-35F)

How many grams of thinsulate should they have? 400? 600? 800? 1000? 1200?
Whats a good pair of boots? Rockies? Wolverines? Columbia? Irish Settler? Danner?
Someone else?

Waterproof is a necessity, and I only wear 1 pair of polypropolene insulated socks.
Short boots would be preferred(6-8 in), as I dont like boots which come half way up your legs (10-12in).

any suggestions would be appreciated

FilmCamera

Nov 12, 2006
Check out Hi-Tec if you can find any.

http://www.hi-tec.com/category.php?categoryId=4&filterNav=mens

The grams depends on how cold it is. At 20-35F....that's really not even that cold to need winter boots. Good hiking boots and a nice pair of socks should do.

Also for traction they make spikes fitted to a rubber material that you can stretch over your boots - those seem to work pretty well, esp. in icy conditions.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
I wear Sorels, but 20-35 is like walkin on the sun for us Alaskans. My Sorels keep me cozy in MINUS 20-35 though.

But really... at 20-35, any quality boot should suffice, be it Sorel or Columbia or whomever, unless you have feet that are really sensitive to cold. Sorels come waterproof as a standard option, as are most Columbia boots.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
You need winter boots at 20-35F? :confused:

Worst case, go get a set of hiking boots.

Sitting in one place outside for 12+ hours at 20F is pretty cold.

I will look at some of the boots you guys posted, thanks.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
I tried all different kinds over the years without much luck - my toes ALWAYS got cold. A couple of years ago I stumbled on this combo that works for me anyways:

I got a set of 1000 gram thinsulate boots, but I got them in size 13 (I wear a size 9). I put on two pairs of rocky merino wool socks - one smaller/thinner 'hiking' sock, and then a really thick heavy 'tundra' (or some such name) sock on the outside. Under those I wear a thin, tight set of wicking hiking socks.

I've been really warm in these - usually I bring 2 extra pairs of the merino socks and switch them out around lunch since the ones I start with in the morning tend to get damp... from catching the moisture in the wick away under socks. Toasty warm all day long & the boots are actually kind of snug - but not tight - with those 3 socks in place.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
The best pair of hiking/backpacking boots I ever owned was made by Vasque. Don't forget a good pair of wool socks & a pair of sock liners.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123
I only wear 1 pair of polypropolene insulated socks...

any suggestions would be appreciated

The best thing you can do for yourself is to wear 2 pairs of socks. 1 pair of thin wicking socks and one pair of warn insulated socks. It will make a huge difference and you'll never get blisters.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: fitzov

A seemingly high-quality boot.

Here's another manufacturer with a solid rep.
http://www.hoffmanboots.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=20

I've worn White's work boots for most of 30 years. VERY high quality boots. Not cheap by any means, but then again, why would you want to wear cheap boots? 2 things you should NEVER scrimp on...your work shoes, and your bed. You spend too much time in one, and not nearly enough time in the other...You want to get the best you possibly can in both. Not much worse than sore aching feet from a cheap poorly made pair of boots/shoes.