Cold bootup - Takes 3 attempts - Any ideas?

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
When I turn my system completely off, and then turn it on, sometimes it takes 3 times before it boots into windows.
The first time, it turns on, screens blank, for about 10 seconds, then the system shuts off, turns back on after 3 seconds, same thing, 3rd time usually goes normally into windows. Any ideas what could be causing this?
If I just reboot my pc in windows 8, this does NOT happen.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
Does the same problem occur if you have JUST turned off the computer. In other words, use the computer for a little bit, then turn it off, wait no more than 2 seconds, and immediately turn it back on again. Same problem?

Just trying to determine if it's any sort of temperature related problem.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
I just shutdown windows 8, normally, waited 3-4 seconds, turned back on. Booted fine. Seems to happen (I notice it) when I turn the computer off overnight, or for days at a time.... weird

ratjacket

Oct 5, 2013
I have a had a system display behavour similar to that i could never nail it down.

worked fine for years only behaved odd on boot if the power had been fully discharged

i.e truned on while unpluged to drain stored energy, or switched off at the wall for a long period of time

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Are you running stock or overclocked?

What you describe sound like a cold boot loop to me. Some uEFI setting on auto most likely if I had to guess.

I've had a rig do that before when my memory timings were out of whack. Maybe relax the settings a little to see if it cures it. Bumping the voltage a little may help also.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
What issue should I google? Cold Boot issue with gigabyte? There a fix?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
you're on latest BIOS? Gigabyte has their own forum? You have better chance finding answer in more specialized board.

On the related note, I've noticed how BIOS firmware has gotten shittier in last few years, last few boards I've had have more serious booting issues than ones yrs older. For example, my PC gets stuck on first BIOS screen if I turn on monitor after PC power.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
What issue should I google? Cold Boot issue with gigabyte? There a fix?

The fix is probably to RMA the board, this sounds like a hardware issue that a BIOS change can't fix. More than likely there's a faulty capacitor or lead somewhere causing a capacitor to not charge as fast as it should, or it's one that should be "always charged" when plugged in but it's not. Attempting to boot a few times squeezes enough juice into it to do what it's supposed to, then it works a dream until you power down long enough for it to fully discharge naturally.

Unfortunately design problems and faulty parts make it through to retail :(

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Is this the Z77-UD3H in your sig?
How long have you had the board vs how long have you had the issue?
What BIOS are you running? F18 is the latest official BIOS for this board.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Ive had the board maybe 5 months. Yes, z77-ud3h, running f20e beta bios. Noticed the issue recently, as I use to not turn the computer off.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
OK, I have heard of Gigabyte beta BIOS's causing issues on other boards. Try flashing it back to F18 and see if the problem continues.

Also, what memory settings are you running?