Coffeelake thread, benchmarks, reviews, input, everything.

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Reactions: Drazick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well they have to launch something since they will look silly if they don't. They canoot sit still even if that means this chip gets clobbered at launch by similarly priced XXX Zen2 SKU. I wonder if AT will do comparison on intel and AMD chips with all security patches applied (in Win and Linux).

I think it's more because of the hardware security fixes they decided to make a new R0-only bin. As mentioned they are binning it tighter too.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Intel announces 9900KS, 5 Ghz ACT. Would make a nice space heater.

The tradition of selling factory-overclocked CPU continues. The box TDP of 95W does not apply at all because modern motherboards will run the CPU at OC settings and will have a realistic TDP of 200W.

This product will have zero OC headroom.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
The tradition of selling factory-overclocked CPU continues. The box TDP of 95W does not apply at all because modern motherboards will run the CPU at OC settings and will have a realistic TDP of 200W.

seems Intel got some info
they want to win no matter what

at least its better than the pentium 4.....

the CFL new stepping more info? or it is just the security carrot on a stick ?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
at least its better than the pentium 4.....

The industry seems to be accepting the rapid slowdown of Moore's Law gains.

We have Xeon -AP chips with 400W TDP. That seems amazing but the industry has plans for chips meant for HPC exceeding 1KW(1000W). High end semiconductors are entirely heat and thermals bound for performance, that's why the TDP limits will increase drastically in the future.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Well they have to launch something since they will look silly if they don't. They canoot sit still even if that means this chip gets clobbered at launch by similarly priced XXX Zen2 SKU. I wonder if AT will do comparison on intel and AMD chips with all security patches applied (in Win and Linux).

Price=performance ratio, that will look very silly compared to 8/16 Zen 2 top model.

Intel will probably stick price of 600$, "or no problem it will look good vs 16/32 Zen to for 700$."

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
As an Intel fan, given how good 14nm has been, this just makes me lament what might have been if Intel had moved to 10nm in any sort of reasonable time frame...

Maybe 105W TDP with a liquid cooler included.

Oddly reminiscent of AMD's FX-9XXX release.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

I'm not sure most boards will be able to run this at the advertised boost spec for long. The VRM's on all but the most elite boards won't be able to take it.