Coffeelake thread, benchmarks, reviews, input, everything.

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
You brought up Newegg, not me. The question was why there was only a $10 disparity and I just pointed out that the price disparity at Newegg was $26. On a ~$200 part, that's more than a 10% price difference.

After the fact, somebody else brought up Wal-Mart.

Here's the original reply.

sold in places like Newegg,

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
At 3.7 GHz LLC/cache (in BIOS, disable setting whose name I don't recall 'Cache downbin') and 1.40 V memory, 2666 MT/s CL11-RCD13-RP13-RAS28-CR1 and many tuned misc timings, in AIDA64, memory read is 42.3 GB/s (within 1% of theoretical maximum) and latency 47 ns.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
I bet the 8 core coffee lake could probably run on the Z170 chipset / mobo, if Intel allowed it.

It's annoying to have to upgrade the mobo with each refresh.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
On all 370z m-atx boards the Noctua nh d15 doesntt fit. There is not enough room for the gpu in slot 1 to get 16x pci, and you have to use slot 2 that gives 4x.

Therefore i have tried the brand new Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

KV97qTe.jpg

An excellent idea for mounting is this nice supplied screwdriver. Very magnetic, so works very well also for taking motherboard screws off and on, when mounting new backplate.

uUL7Uqa.jpg

As usual Be Quiet nice finish. Like it!

PT4iHnE.jpg

There is space for really high ram. Nice and very needed feature, that wasnt there on the d15.

J4q7JQj.jpg

Here you can see how little space there is between GPU and cooler. It fits. And fits with a backplate. But not much room :)

6FJ8knj.jpg

Here is one problem i faced fitting the cooler in my Fractal design node 805. You have to slide the middle fan in.

4iSxsqw.jpg

Next picture and sound is censored. Not for the faint harted and budget concious. I just forced it in by bending it all.
The solution is obviously not that :), but instead just slide cooler in first and then tighten screws with a spanner instead of screwdriver. Take some time but probably worth it.

The cooler works fine. Can not compare it directly with the D15 due to not having the gear for assessment, but its smaller and therefore can be used in many more cases. Its extremely silent at full load thats for sure, but it probably cant move nearly as much air as the D15.

Easy to mount. Extremely silent. Nice look.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
On all 370z m-atx boards the Noctua nh d15 doesntt fit. There is not enough room for the gpu in slot 1 to get 16x pci, and you have to use slot 2 that gives 4x.

KV97qTe.jpg

An excellent idea for mounting is this nice supplied screwdriver. Very magnetic, so works very well also for taking motherboard screws off and on, when mounting new backplate.

uUL7Uqa.jpg

PT4iHnE.jpg

There is space for really high ram. Nice and very needed feature, that wasnt there on the d15.

J4q7JQj.jpg

Here you can see how little space there is between GPU and cooler. It fits. And fits with a backplate. But not much room :)

6FJ8knj.jpg

Here is one problem i faced fitting the cooler in my Fractal design node 805. You have to slide the middle fan in.

4iSxsqw.jpg

Next picture and sound is censored. Not for the faint harted and budget concious. I just forced it in by bending it all.
The solution is obviously not that :), but instead just slide cooler in first and then tighten screws with a spanner instead of screwdriver. Take some time but probably worth it.

The cooler works fine. Can not compare it directly with the D15 due to not having the gear for assessment, but its smaller and therefore can be used in many more cases. Its extremely silent at full load thats for sure, but it probably cant move nearly as much air as the D15.

I had a Dark Rock 3 on another computer of mine. be quiet! makes top notch gear.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Seems more likely now that the 8C CFL is happening in August. Probably does mean though that it doesn't have any of the real Spectre/Meltdown fixes.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
https://videocardz.com/76305/intel-core-i7-8086k-anniversary-edition-cpu-listed-by-retailers

Implying that there might be a Core i7 8086K coming, 6 cores and 4 Ghz base/5 Ghz turbo. Assuming this is just a binned 8700K with no other changes except a higher TDP.
So what would the TDP raise to with the base frequency 300mhz higher?

Also, if this has a higher TDP than 95W, then the 95W limitation for the 8 core chip would be gone.

We could then gossip about an 8 core chip with a higher TDP than the 8700K. :D

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
https://videocardz.com/76305/intel-core-i7-8086k-anniversary-edition-cpu-listed-by-retailers

Implying that there might be a Core i7 8086K coming, 6 cores and 4 Ghz base/5 Ghz turbo. Assuming this is just a binned 8700K with no other changes except a higher TDP.

I call fake

Anyone from #Intel, please pitch this SKU to management!
1f91e.png
Launch Date: June 8, 2018 SKU: "Intel Core i7-8086K 40th Anniversary Edition" Specs: 8th Gen (CFL), 6C/12T, 5 GHz Turbo, unlocked.

Source: https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/953979794437410816

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
So what would the TDP raise to with the base frequency 300mhz higher?

Could be highly binned for 95w "TDP", probably almost a year has passed since start of 8700K production, so Intel could have a trove of golden chips ready for just this release.
I would not discount a new revision either, 14nm is very mature by now, if they can increase core count by 33%, 300 base and turbo clocks is nothing.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
8086 will just be like the 4790k. Slightly better binned and factory overclocked. Not expecting much from it.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009

KV97qTe.jpg

uUL7Uqa.jpg

PT4iHnE.jpg

J4q7JQj.jpg

6FJ8knj.jpg

4iSxsqw.jpg

Due to my experience with larger heatsink coolers like that(I have the Noctura D14), I am never going to get one again, due to how frustrating it is removing various parts inside my computer case.

AIO for LIFE!!!!!!!

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
According to benchlife the original Z390 chipset (14nm with native USB 3.1 Gen2) might be canceled, instead they will rename Z370 to Z390. Main reason seems to be the 14nm capacity, because of the 10nm delays Intels 14nm demand is too high at this point. So the only difference might be the power delivery from the socket, it's unclear if they have to change it once again to support the 8 Core version.

https://benchlife.info/intel-might-rename-22nm-z370-to-replace-14nm-z390-chipset-06222018/