Coffee mugs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Well, the glazing in the mug I use daily is white (see OP). I think that's less apt to be toxic than if it weren't white.
Simpler would be easier for an amateur for sure. I don't know a thing about it, but red clay with some kind of sealer would make a great looking cup. Maybe it doesn't even need sealer?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Kentucky has the best folk art hand crafted pottery. England has the best refined classic pottery. As I said, your two choices are Kentucky and England.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Kentucky has the best folk art hand crafted pottery. England has the best refined classic pottery. As I said, your two choices are Kentucky and England.
My wife used to sell her art at the Berea craft fair. One of the ways I'd pass the time at the fairs was to ask the other artists obnoxious questions (I really am the same way in real life that you read here). Anyway, the question for the potters was, " do you have anything with plastic handles?"

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Pfaltzgraff and Laughlin make nice refined pottery. Both are from West Virginia I believe. RThere's another American company I'm unaware of the name of that has some nice pottery. They make the cream top stoneware. It has a specificx name, but I can't recall it atm.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
My wife used to sell her art at the Berea craft fair. One of the ways I'd pass the time at the fairs was to ask the other artists obnoxious questions (I really am the same way in real life that you read here). Anyway, the question for the potters was, " do you have anything with plastic handles?"
i believe you're searching for the planet Melmac.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For a guy who drinks out of a discarded mug he found out on the street, you're remarkably picky.
That discarded mug, if you can look beyond its minor imperfections, is the perfect coffee mug. It boggles my mind that I can't find one for sale anywhere that comes close. It all has nothing to do with how I procured the thing.

Where you get something doesn't count for much, it's what it is. I seem to recall a song by a guy who said he was glad that shoes don't talk.

I do a weekly show on college radio and a few weeks ago, a guy calls up after I played Celibate Rifles' "Let's Get Married" and says it's his 25th wedding anniversary and the song so hit the spot! They got married at Albany dump, how punk is that? Great! I wished him a happy 25th wedding anniversary!

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This is used daily....

Kylo will show you the dark roast.

LJpzjNp.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thanks. I agree, it appears to be the same size and type and I'm thinking likely made by the same folks. I just bought it!!! They say it's used, in like new condition. OK with me! It will get plenty use here! :D

Edits: Made in Thailand! One of my better roommates moved to Thailand. He never talked about it, I think he was superstitious that if he did, he would dilute his resolve to remove himself back to Thailand, where he had made a living teaching English. He did say that his class used to address him as "professor." I'm sure that was a lot more respect than he was getting here, where he lived on a shoe string. He used to upgrade his computer by buying specials on recently legacied equipment... motherboards, etc. Interesting guy.

I don't see a "cat" on the design, but that doesn't matter at all. It's great.

I think they must have stopped making them. Searching, I can't find anything available in retail online remotely resembling these, searching on "World Market Coffee Mugs." I think they are the greatest coffee mugs ever, I haven't encountered anything close. They are pretty much perfection. The only thing I can fault them for isn't their fault, they are breakable. I treat the cracked one I have like it's the Holy Grail. :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
I've got on 50 ounce coffee mug and about eight 32 ounce mugs that I use daily. 29 ounces of coffee and three ounces of Irish cream makes the world much easier to deal with in mornings.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I don't like ultra-large mugs, for the main reason they're unwieldy and more often than not, by the time I get to the bottom the coffee has cooled significantly.

Now I typically make 20-24 oz of coffee and put into a hydroflask that I keep with me at work. After I finish a mug of coffee, I refill it. Keeps it hot and me happy.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I saw this at Walmart and thought it would be an appropriate way to start my day.

imoz60.jpg

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, coffee mugs are IMO a very personal thing. I'm attached to mine. My current favorites are a pair I found on Ebay ("used" but look new) a couple years ago... very nice quite big (20 ounce) white clay ceramic that look custom made, but aren't. On the bottom they say Chefs, Made in China. Got one beside me now, 1/2 filled with my home brewed medium dark roast.
Fave mug Sept. 2019.jpg

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have two big/old and thick clear 12 oz glass beer-mugs which have been converted to coffee-duty. I tried it once in a pinch (no clean coffee-mugs) and liked it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have two big/old and thick clear 12 oz glass beer-mugs which have been converted to coffee-duty. I tried it once in a pinch (no clean coffee-mugs) and liked it.
I used 1/2 liter beer mugs for coffee for a number of years. I found one in a Saint Vincent DePaul thrift store, evidently bought new in Deutschland by some guy named Curtis (it says Curtis on the side!). It has a thousand cracks in it now but it's still usable. It's significantly lighter than the ones you usually find, which matters to me. Two plus pounds (including 16oz of brew) is a strain on my wrist. I bought a few similar beer mugs online but was always disappointed, if for nothing else by the fact that they're so heavy. I've used clear glass beer mugs for coffee too, have a bunch of different designs! I'll use one for a brew once in a while.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, coffee mugs are IMO a very personal thing. I'm attached to mine. My current favorites are a pair I found on Ebay ("used" but look new) a couple years ago... very nice quite big (20 ounce) white clay ceramic that look custom made, but aren't. On the bottom they say Chefs, Made in China. Got one beside me now, 1/2 filled with my home brewed medium dark roast.
View attachment 11338

That doesn't look custom made at all.

I use a 16oz Coke glass.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I broke another mug tonight lol. Rinsing it out and dropped it in the sink and the handle broke.

Glad it was just a basic white one from a dish set. Got plenty more where that came from. :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I broke another mug tonight lol. Rinsing it out and dropped it in the sink and the handle broke.

Glad it was just a basic white one from a dish set. Got plenty more where that came from. :p
I hear you. I like having those, but don't drink out of the boring ones. The dish-set ones seem to be closer to 8-10oz and the ones I buy are 12oz and up.

My wife and I started collecting Disney mugs a few years ago... We have a decent selection of mixed sizes and shapes....various characters. Those are usually my favorite mugs to drink out of when I'm at home.

I have a few travel mugs from Tervis and others that are insulated vacuum thermos mugs. That allows me to pour coffee in a few mugs and carry them into work. If i have an early meeting, I can just throw the top on and drink hot/warm coffee until 10:30 pretty easily when I get time.

I'm sitting here looking at the 2019 Disney Marathon Weekend Tervis mug on my desk now...sadly, it's empty.
49671310_491366241386113_2856098254783774720_n.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That doesn't look custom made at all.

I use a 16oz Coke glass.
No, it isn't. But it looks like what a potter would come up with at a wheel... I should know, I did that for a while. Really, I'd make my own now but don't have access to a studio.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No, it isn't. But it looks like what a potter would come up with at a wheel... I should know, I did that for a while. Really, I'd make my own now but don't have access to a studio.
Demi Moore is that you? :eek:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Did this thread have a random mug spammers post deleted?
I'm sure that it popped up in my "what's new" bit?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You aren't going to fit 20oz (seriously how much is that in non stone age measures?) in it though!
20200424_121529.jpg