coffee lake desktop cpu on z270 motherboards

Parthibaraj

Sep 28, 2016
will coffee lake - S desktop processors fit on z270 motherboards? or is it too early to talk about it. though the socket seems to be LGA 1151, but there may be a 300 chipset. Isnt it?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I've seen nothing actually official. IMO, once Intel officially launches Kaby Lake, major sites like AnandTech should seriously press Intel for what the upgrade path of Z270 looks like. As you ask, is it guaranteed to take Coffee Lake w/ BIOS flash? Same for Cannonlake? What about Icelake? Intel should be very clear on just how long Z270 is going live, so hopefully we get that info on launch day and it's not some drip drip drip of semi-official credible info.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
That's a good question, especially with the (rather confusing) Coffee Lake + Cannonlake situation. Intel's modus operandi has been to match socket changes with the Tick-Tock cycle, i.e. new tock (arch), new socket. With PAO, you'd expect a new socket with every A (Icelake in this case). If leaked roadmaps are to be believed, Cannonlake is mobile only (given that Coffee Lake is being launched later on 14nm for H- and desktop SKUs). As such, you could think that they'd keep the socket around simply not to mess things up. But I doubt intel would like to keep the same socket around for that long, tbh. Three generations? Sure. Not that different from the two of today. But with Coffee+Cannon, you're looking at four, if anything Cannonlake ever shows up on the desktop.

I'll rather be pessimistic about this, and get a positive surprise. Intel's not very fond of multi-year upgrades while keeping base hardware around.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It's pretty obvious that Intel changes sockets for sales/marketing reasons, not technical.

It isn't obvious because there were technical reasons for a change. There is one reason why a socket change seems unlikely. Icelake moves the FIVR onto the Die once again, means there will be a new socket for which is no surprise given that it is a Tock. Coffee Lake on the other side is another Kabylake core. A new socket for CFL would mean two socket changes within a year which I don't see happen.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's pretty obvious that Intel changes sockets for sales/marketing reasons, not technical.

I agree, i would assume its new as well. I mean this is coming from the same company trying to tell us KL is a brand new generation of CPU, they obviously have no Basis in reality for alot of their decisions lately. They are obviously trying to milk consumers as much as possible so why not release a new socket with CL.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
No update in CES.

My take: Intel Coffee Lake will use socket H4 (LGA 1151) (since socket H changes only on architecture), but no guarantee on chipset support.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I expect that Coffee Lake will end up with a "modified" 1151 socket H. Much like Socket 2011, and 2011-3.

Mar 10, 2006
I expect that Coffee Lake will end up with a "modified" 1151 socket H. Much like Socket 2011, and 2011-3.

Intel might do this to save costs for themselves and mobo makers. Having to qualify all of their old boards as well as the new boards for the new CPU might just be too much of a pain to justify.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Parthibaraj

Sep 28, 2016
Since this is the first 6 core processor in this line up, people would have doubted there may be a socket change

So, z270 would take coffee lake s.?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It isn't obvious because there were technical reasons for a change. There is one reason why a socket change seems unlikely. Icelake moves the FIVR onto the Die once again, means there will be a new socket for which is no surprise given that it is a Tock. Coffee Lake on the other side is another Kabylake core. A new socket for CFL would mean two socket changes within a year which I don't see happen.

Even if I had doubts about your inclination here, this explanation addresses the key factors and patterns. And it makes sense for even a dominant-firm with price enforcement through its certified resellers -- don't just fritter away R&D on something that bumps up fabrication costs too quickly. How much would it be as a break from tradition? How many ticks and tocks did they get out of LGA-478 or LGA-775? It's always a minimum of two. But a socket changeover from LGA-1151 seems like it could fall due sooner.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
No socket change as expected, this is also what my source implied. Hilarious that people thought Intel is bringing a new socket for Coffee Lake and another new for Icelake just a year later.

It was always about marketing and sales, not anything technical beyond the rumors that CFL was going to be "Cannonlake on 14 nm" (which has the FIVR back). But now with Intel rushing out Coffee Lake, all bets are off.

As mentioned, Intel could of course offer backwards compatibility but not forwards. IE: You would be able to use Skylake and Kabylake on 300 series but Coffee Lake would require 300 series. Since you aren't going to be able to buy anything other than K models for some time it would in theory give the OEMs time to empty out the 200 series chipset stock and start filling it with 300 series in time for the locked models to arrive.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It was always about marketing and sales, not anything technical beyond the rumors that CFL was going to be "Cannonlake on 14 nm" (which has the FIVR back). But now with Intel rushing out Coffee Lake, all bets are off.

Even for marketing and sales, a new socket didn't make sense. As I told you a long time ago Intel could restrict Coffeelake to a new chipset if they wanted to boost their chipset sales. It would be way chaper than doing a new socket just for marketing and sales because development and evaluation of a new socket costs lots of time and money. It would only make sense if they could re-use the new socket for Icelake uArch.