Codecs, compression and quality

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I want to have my DVD movies backed up in avi format on my computer. Since i own the orriginals it's perfectly legal for me to do so. My questions are:

1) Which codec (DivX?) should i use to maintain the maxiumum quality
2) How large a file should i be looking at to keep near DVD quality.
3) What programs (free is always better) could i use.

4) Any sites i should read for good primers on the topic?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
for sure, but alot of formats have tried to squeeze in MPEG4. I have seen it in AVI, DivX, Xvid, and Matroska OGMs. I use the original h.264 MPEG4 from Nero and found it to provide the best video quality.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I use AutoGK to compress to Divx or XVid mpeg4 format. It works well, and also plays on my 2 DVD players, which are Divx compliant. To rip the DVD you can use DVDDecrypter or DVDFab, or DVDShrink. To copy a movie in DVD format, just use DVD shrink, which lets you keep the DVD intact, or re-author and chop out menus and other crap.

I actually spent the $30 and purchased the DivX "create" bundle. It sucks ass - waste of money. Possibly the worst convereter program I've ever used - it always gets the sounds out of synch. Never have any issues with AutoGK. AUtoGK will also optionally install the XVid codec, which is very good, and free.

AutoGK and DVDShrink are free. DVDDecrypter is no longer free, but you can still find the free older version. DVDFab has a freeware version, which I use occasionally (only when the other programs have trouble ripping the DVD).

Dr. Divx is a freeware program from teh DivX team, which works OK, but I have found quite a few ore issues with it, compared to AutoGK.

Finally, another GREAT program is AVI2DVD. This program is for converting AVI's or VOBs back into DVDs. It uses a variety of free MPEG2 encoders, which work quite well.