Code

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: pcslookout
Originally posted by: jersiq
Isn't that how RSA works?
That's how any public key encryption generally works, but to the end of using primes, that is how RSA does work.

Now to the OP's point of "using a different alphabet" at some point, you have to decrypt the message to the native language. To that end, any cryptanalyst worth his salt would crack a simple substitution cipher in a short matter of time.

I am talking about creating my own language from scratch. Everything.

Doesn't matter. Math has a lot to do with decryption. Pattern analysis would eventually crack it.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
People are just scared of someone being able to do this.

Dude. WTF do you keep rambling about?! Throughout history people have uncovered dead civilizations as well as cultures living in the middle of nowhere. Most of these languages have been identified and documented. It's not a 'code'. It would be easy to break. Good encryption is difficult to break because it encrypts characters differently each time they appear in the plain text string. All you are trying to do is make up new words for things. That's what a very low-level encryption does; substitution.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The issue is, if you ever transmit something that is intercepted and the context is understood, you can start deciphering with just one word solved. Make educated guesses at the accompanying words and look in other transmissions for those words. Figure out other words there. You build and build and eventually you have the entire "language" figured out.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

mmmkay. It's like does a tree make a sound if it falls in the woods and noone is around to hear it.

If you just talk to yourself and no one is listening does it matter what language you are speaking.

Usually things like this are best served by doing it first then talking about it....otherwise you may as well be talking you are heading to Mars next month since you found a way that the Russian and US space programs have overlooked.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
ji elrk kkrke !@33rj ker @343 kslqwo 34%%6 jjewl g,m^^7 klrrr% 334~! tkii* 5434TT

Translated:

Yes, I have a code that only 2 other people can translate, my cousin and one of my friends

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: zoiks
Are you like 7 years old?

I believe he really and truly is 14 years old.

If not, he has the mentality of that age. I cringe every time I read one of his posts.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: mb
Originally posted by: zoiks
Are you like 7 years old?

I believe he really and truly is 14 years old.

If not, he has the mentality of that age. I cringe every time I read one of his posts.

He's a man-child. Treat him gently, but respectfully.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: yllus
The issue is, if you ever transmit something that is intercepted and the context is understood, you can start deciphering with just one word solved. Make educated guesses at the accompanying words and look in other transmissions for those words. Figure out other words there. You build and build and eventually you have the entire "language" figured out.

Not if you change it and have to relearn it everytime.

Originally posted by: alkemyst

mmmkay. It's like does a tree make a sound if it falls in the woods and noone is around to hear it.

If you just talk to yourself and no one is listening does it matter what language you are speaking.

Usually things like this are best served by doing it first then talking about it....otherwise you may as well be talking you are heading to Mars next month since you found a way that the Russian and US space programs have overlooked.

Not really. Whats the point of creating a new code then talking about it rather than talking about it first?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

There's a reason one-time pads aren't in use for much other than a few situations in which security trumps speed and ease of translation. Not to mention that you'd likely keep similar elements in each scheme you use, which would probably prove to do the exact opposite of your goal and actually help the code breaker.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

There's a reason one-time pads aren't in use for much other than a few situations in which security trumps speed and ease of translation. Not to mention that you'd likely keep similar elements in each scheme you use, which would probably prove to do the exact opposite of your goal and actually help the code breaker.

Woah, chief. Slow down. You're speaking WAY over this manchild's head. Be gentle, but respectful.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: techfuzz
This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

techfuzz
Damn it! You broke my monitor. The screen is cracked into 3 big pieces, and dozens of tiny pieces. :thumbsdown: