COD4 patch 1.6

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
I upgraded 2 days ago and it seems like there's only a hand full of regular servers. Does it seem like some regular servers have the bullet damage of hardcore even though the cross hairs and map are being used? I'm not really a fan of HC because IMO it seems too easy and makes an average player better. I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed what I'm noticing or is it just me? If anyone cares my screen name is ThereIsNoGod (aka Soulfly) and I only play on free for all server. Also what are you're opinions on the new maps? I only half like creek and broadcast. Kill house is just a large shipment and a spawn rapers dream. Chinatown is a campers paradise and there is one in every window.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
If HC makes an average player better, what does it do the the skilled player?

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: NinjaJedi
I upgraded 2 days ago and it seems like there's only a hand full of regular servers. Does it seem like some regular servers have the bullet damage of hardcore even though the cross hairs and map are being used? I'm not really a fan of HC because IMO it seems too easy and makes an average player better. I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed what I'm noticing or is it just me? If anyone cares my screen name is ThereIsNoGod (aka Soulfly) and I only play on free for all server. Also what are you're opinions on the new maps? I only half like creek and broadcast. Kill house is just a large shipment and a spawn rapers dream. Chinatown is a campers paradise and there is one in every window.

Check your filters; set each one to "All" and or change the criteria and see if any more\less servers populate. I get a rather large number of 1.6 servers I can connect to.

- Creek; i like it depending on the type and number of players that are in. It's a good\suspenseful sniping map if fewer players are in and playing that way. I prefer killcam off for the wft where'd that come from - challenge.

- Killhouse; was intended to be a 'shipment' type map. Better than shipment.

- Chinatown can really emphasis good or bad teamplay.

Some maps are great for FFA but not so much for team play modes; and the inverse.

Sketcher

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
i'm all for more hard core servers...and i disagree it changes the skill level of anyone. Sure people die easier, but so do you, so what's the difference? Map knowledge, reaction time, instinct and accuracy (the hallmarks of good FPS gamers) all remain unaffected.

:beer:

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
i'm all for a good balance of hardcore and regular servers.

sometimes you may just want to play non hardcore just so you can take more risks and not have to worry about dying so fast, as long as you have cover near by ;)

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I don't like regular because pumping a clip into someone and have them...not die...is a sure way to annoy the crap out of me, lol

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
ya to each their own. But IMO HC is easier than regular. Shoot someone twice in the foot and they die. The only thing that makes it harder is no cross hairs and no map with out a UAV. It usually evens out the players skill level. Makes avg player better and sometimes good players worse and vice versa. My main point was mostly to see if anyone has noticed the bullet damage being HC on a SC server.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Malladine
I don't like regular because pumping a clip into someone and have them...not die...is a sure way to annoy the crap out of me, lol

Yep. I can shoot people just fine in regular, but emptying an entire magazine into someone just takes too long. Plus all the HUD stuff is annoying. If you're a good player, then HC will only be easier - it's all about seeing the enemy first and aiming accurately.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

Yep. I can shoot people just fine in regular, but emptying an entire magazine into someone just takes too long. Plus all the HUD stuff is annoying. If you're a good player, then HC will only be easier - it's all about seeing the enemy first and aiming accurately.

I don't recall ever having to shoot someone with a whole clip to kill them in regular. Even when I don't use stopping and shoot someone using jugger it doesn't take a whole clip. If the person is moving around you just aren't hitting him with all you're bullets then it seems like it takes a whole clip. That is what makes regular harder. You actually have to aim longer and hit them more times. The little I have played on HC I play slightly better than I do in regular I just feel like I have more of a challenge on regular servers. The game isn't a simulator and it should be harder to kill someone than a couple bullets. (again to each their own) I keep my focus towards the center of the screen for the most part so the HUD never gets in the way. I have heard people complain when spectators are chatting during a game and it bothering them. The text is way off to the side and if you're paying attention to the game and not the text it shouldn't bother you. I tend not to read the text while I'm playing if there is a lot of chatting going on.

Another thing I'm sick of is being called a hack because I win a lot or kill someone more than they kill me. If people would actually watch some videos on youtube and see just how a aimbot looks in action they can stop claiming cheat. I have really only seen one guy using an aimbot in real game. It jerks and whips around so fast when he toggles and once its locked on the tracking is so smooth.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Hardcore CoD4 is a joke. Hardcore is something like Armed Assault... Its almost an insult to gaming.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Hardcore CoD4 is a joke. Hardcore is something like Armed Assault... Its almost an insult to gaming.

it's all relative man
what's armed assault?
and Ninjajedi: him them more times? it's just too...arcadey for me, regular that is. It doesn't even the playing field at all. If someone who was "good" on reg. isn't so good on hardcore it's because their reaction times are slow. Hardcore requires a larger skillset to compete.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008

it's all relative man
what's armed assault?
and Ninjajedi: him them more times? it's just too...arcadey for me, regular that is. It doesn't even the playing field at all. If someone who was "good" on reg. isn't so good on hardcore it's because their reaction times are slow. Hardcore requires a larger skillset to compete.

Hardcore is not harder to me. It makes the avg or weak player better by making it easier for them to get a kill. Is it not easier to get a kill on hardcore? (it does takes less bullet damage) My ( and I would think someone else's too) reaction time doesn't slow or get faster just because it's hardcore. You are right about it not evening the playing field (on regular) it sets the good players apart from the weak by allowing pure skill to determine the game. HC is also a campers wet dream making it even easier to hide in the corner and shoot someone in the back as they run by. On regular I can actually have enough time to avoid and kill them. Having to keep your aim on someone longer makes it harder. You saying "I don't like regular because pumping a clip into someone and have them...not die...is a sure way to annoy the crap out of me, lol" is proof enough that it is harder. (at least for you) IMO HC is for players that need all the help they can get. Again to each their own. I know you're opinion and you know mine.

eBauer

Mar 8, 2002
IMHO, regular mode takes more skill. Hardcore mode levels out the playing field so to speak, it rewards players who have a weak aim.

That being said, I enjoy mixing it up between the two.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003

it's all relative man
what's armed assault?

... You saying "I don't like regular because pumping a clip into someone and have them...not die...is a sure way to annoy the crap out of me, lol" is proof enough that it is harder. (at least for you) IMO HC is for players that need all the help they can get. Again to each their own. I know you're opinion and you know mine.

That's not proof of anything of the sort, lol. I'm not saying it's harder, i'm saying it's too unrealistic (funny i know but whatever :))
And again, you're saying "Is it not easier to get a kill on hardcore?" well that's true, but like i said you die easier too...so i fail to see the difference. Sounds to me as though you simply don't like dying quickly (or put another way: just staying alive longer), which is understandable, it can be unpleasant!

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008

it's all relative man
what's armed assault?

... You saying "I don't like regular because pumping a clip into someone and have them...not die...is a sure way to annoy the crap out of me, lol" is proof enough that it is harder. (at least for you) IMO HC is for players that need all the help they can get. Again to each their own. I know you're opinion and you know mine.

That's not proof of anything of the sort, lol. I'm not saying it's harder, i'm saying it's too unrealistic (funny i know but whatever :))
And again, you're saying "Is it not easier to get a kill on hardcore?" well that's true, but like i said you die easier too...so i fail to see the difference. Sounds to me as though you simply don't like dying quickly (or put another way: just staying alive longer), which is understandable, it can be unpleasant!

I die just as much or as little as I do on HC. IF anything my kill/death ratio gets slightly better on HC. It has nothing to do with dying quickly and has everything to do with it being way too easy. There is no challenge in it for me. As far as it being realistic. I don't think shooting someone in the toe twice in real life will kill them instantly. Like I said before you know my opinion and I know yours. No need to turn it into an I think you think debate.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
i don't think HC levels the playing field at all

if you suck, you WILL get shot and killed before you even bullet spam for a kill

that said, i've been on HC servers where everyone sucked, and i did really well - better than i would have on a regular server full of decent/good people

there are some HC servers that have groups of REALLY good players...and everytime i play there i get slaughtered

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: eBauer
IMHO, regular mode takes more skill. Hardcore mode levels out the playing field so to speak, it rewards players who have a weak aim.

That being said, I enjoy mixing it up between the two.

As a better player I highly disagree.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I find that HC mode balances the weapons so that you can viably use any of them effectively. Guns like the m14 and the g3, for example, aren't good choices in RM while in HC they can be quite effective. I find this to be true for a lot of the ignored guns in the game.

My opinion could also be skewed as I play on two 48p servers, 1 HC and 1 RM, that are constantly full. I've never really played any of the maps with less than 30+ players at any given time.

soybeast

Apr 26, 2006
Come play on Fallen Hardcore S&D server. I will slaughter you.

69.65.13.105:28961

Oh, and I play under the alias 'raging'.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: soybeast
Come play on Fallen Hardcore S&D server. I will slaughter you.

69.65.13.105:28961

Oh, and I play under the alias 'raging'.

blah blah blah

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Instead of blah blah blah, why don't you give it a try NinjaJedi? I've seen some tournament gameplay of CoD4, and it's all on HC. And that's for a reason, the better, more involved players, all agree that it's harder on HC then on regular. On regular mistakes can be made, on HC mistakes mean certain death. Btw, the way I look at it is like this; when you see an opponent, you have to react and aim as fast as possible, if you aim correctly and shoot first, you get the kill on HC, but if you aim and shoot correctly first on regular, you still get the kill, don't you? You've 'started' pumping rounds into your opponent first, so he will die before you will, assuming you're both aiming for the chest/head. But, since it takes longer, you can duck for cover in regular, making it easier to repair 'little' mistakes.

I think your logic is seriously flawed btw, this would be the first time where a higher difficulty level results in easier, less skillfull gameplay. I could understand that YOU become better in HC then in regular, but that's most likely because you don't really suck, have good aim, and thus get faster kills in HC, and die less, because in regular the noobs have more chances of repairing their mistakes, because they don't die instantly. When I played counterstrike, I noticed that half the reason I used to be on top of the charts in any game I entered would be because I had a faster internet connection and a solid PC, pushing 50+ fps all the time, giving me quite the edge over players with lesser PC's and slower internet. I think that's part of the equation as well ...

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Instead of blah blah blah, why don't you give it a try NinjaJedi? I've seen some tournament gameplay of CoD4, and it's all on HC. And that's for a reason, the better, more involved players, all agree that it's harder on HC then on regular. On regular mistakes can be made, on HC mistakes mean certain death. Btw, the way I look at it is like this; when you see an opponent, you have to react and aim as fast as possible, if you aim correctly and shoot first, you get the kill on HC, but if you aim and shoot correctly first on regular, you still get the kill, don't you? You've 'started' pumping rounds into your opponent first, so he will die before you will, assuming you're both aiming for the chest/head. But, since it takes longer, you can duck for cover in regular, making it easier to repair 'little' mistakes.

I think your logic is seriously flawed btw, this would be the first time where a higher difficulty level results in easier, less skillfull gameplay. I could understand that YOU become better in HC then in regular, but that's most likely because you don't really suck, have good aim, and thus get faster kills in HC, and die less, because in regular the noobs have more chances of repairing their mistakes, because they don't die instantly. When I played counterstrike, I noticed that half the reason I used to be on top of the charts in any game I entered would be because I had a faster internet connection and a solid PC, pushing 50+ fps all the time, giving me quite the edge over players with lesser PC's and slower internet. I think that's part of the equation as well ...

The reason I say blah blah blah is because there is always someone who is gonna say something like that. To each their own. I didn't start this thread to debate the difference between HC and SC or what's harder I just wanted to know if it seemed like there was HC bullet damage on some SC servers and peoples thoughts on the new maps. Lets drop the whole this is harder no it's easier debate.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I guess your right, let's keep it on topic. Btw, I checked, and more tournaments are actually played at regular then at hardcore.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
I think they should keep the original damage in tact but get rid of the health recovery ..i think that would be a good compromise between hardcore and normal