COD: How do you get to be any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !

Also dont beat yourself up.
Most of the people who get to be really good are 12 year olds ignoring their homework. They spend 8 hours on the weekdays and pretty much the whole weekend playing.
You CANT beat them, and truthfully you shouldnt. It means you are ignoring real life.

I play games after I get done with my big piles of homework and papers and some studying. I go for an hour, then back to studying. Video games should be about escaping reality, not creating an alternate reality.

Oh, and try watching videos on youtube.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I don't intend to be the best player ever. I'd just like to feel like a decent chance of winning. A KDR and WLR of >1 would be nice as well.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Why do i invision some current 15 year old joining the army one day, running out in the middle of the desert and jumping to prone while running out in the middle of enemys.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
learning the maps is the biggest part. There are often nooks and crannies people don't check because they don't know about it.

Then find a gun you like and practice with it. Then click on the other guy before he clicks on you.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Playing hardcore for awhile last night helped me a lot when i switched back to regular DM.

I always started to use the Shotgun, which while being more inaccurate helps me a lot in closer quarters for sure.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Playing hardcore for awhile last night helped me a lot when i switched back to regular DM.

I always started to use the Shotgun, which while being more inaccurate helps me a lot in closer quarters for sure.

Once I stopped accidentally team killing I started to really dominate in HC TDM.

Runs around a corner.

Freaks out.

2 seconds later... OMG SORRY!!!

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
So here's another question... How are you supposed to maintain a decent W/L ratio when you're always on the losing team. I mean I am in the top 1 or 2 players most of the time on my team, always going for the objective. Yet 3/4 of the time I end up losing anyway. You'd think even by chance it would be closer to 50/50.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Only way to make yourself win is to play better, maybe try encouraging your fellow comrades and communicating more? Idk I've never really cared about W/L, strictly k/d for me.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Map knowledge can get you farther than raw skill 90% of the time. I remember playing in cod2/cod4 in CAL and other leagues. Not many players can actually outshoot me, but there are guys that know that if they fire their gun at this corner at 15 seconds into the round they get a headshot on the person who is rushing the bomb.

It's stuff like that which seperates pro's from skills players. I attempted for a while to put the time in to learn that stuff, but lost patience for it because at that point things stopped being a game and became a job.

I used to have grenades on COD2 that would bounce off 4 walls and land in places that grenades shouldn't be able to land. All based on standing in a certain spot and throwing a grenade at this spot on that cloud. Pretty crazy stuff, but the pro's all know the stuff. You really don't have to be the most ridiculous shooter in the world to throw a grenade precisely at the right location to kill 3 rushers before they enter a bomb site. Just have a lot of time on your hands.

I almost want to buy BLOPS2 because of the streaming options it has. I want people to witness my playing in all it's glory.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've found that you have to die a lot to figure out how to kill. I can't tell you how many games I start with a 1:2 kill/death ratio and have to spend a lot of time getting that to 1:1. Unfortunately, but the time I get proficient, boredom sets in and I'm off to something new.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
So here's another question... How are you supposed to maintain a decent W/L ratio when you're always on the losing team. I mean I am in the top 1 or 2 players most of the time on my team, always going for the objective. Yet 3/4 of the time I end up losing anyway. You'd think even by chance it would be closer to 50/50.

Your W/L ratio is purely based on your team. If you are playing on one of the best teams in the world you will be a 3+ or better, if not then you'd be doing good to pull a 1:1. I wouldn't worry too much about that stat if you play alone. It is purely a reflection of the skill level of the other 5 guys on your team more than any indication of what you do.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Your W/L ratio is purely based on your team. If you are playing on one of the best teams in the world you will be a 3+ or better, if not then you'd be doing good to pull a 1:1. I wouldn't worry too much about that stat if you play alone. It is purely a reflection of the skill level of the other 5 guys on your team more than any indication of what you do.

Meh, in a 6v6 one amazing player can pretty much carry an awful team.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
First game last night i went 16-4 which is pretty epic for my skill level hah. I am still not getting streaks to get Lightning strikes and others to rack up some more kills. I get a of double kills but have a hard time getting off more then 3 at a time.

I have playing with 3 other friends on teamspeak, and now we are winning most of our matchs. My k/d ration is up to .75 and climbing, which is not bad was .45 other day.

I normally get the first kill about 90% of the time now, starting to know most the maps and where to sprint to get the first one.

Hit 30 last night, never prestiged in the game before. Is max level 60? And does anything carry over when you do it?

Thanks

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I used to be really good at mw3 because I played alot when I was getting done college. Now I have work every day and a gf and when she is over, I can't use the tv at all so I barely play. Got Blops 2 for ps3 since a bunch of buddies of mine also have it for ps3 and I mainly stick with them. I'm nowhere near good now.

I'm only level 10 and I think the MP7 is hard to use without a sight. I also noticed people still camp a lot. You have to spend so much time to get good, which I no longer have.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Not against a good team. Maybe once in awhile, but not with any kind of regularity.

Well we're talking public matches here. I normally see the top 1 or 2 players carrying their entire team. Probably the better I get the more wins I will be able to pull off. I played a game of TDM last night and had a KDR of 23:1, making up about 50% of our kills. Granted my sentry gun did some of that work as well, but still feels good to see that stat up on the board at the end of a round.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Well we're talking public matches here. I normally see the top 1 or 2 players carrying their entire team. Probably the better I get the more wins I will be able to pull off. I played a game of TDM last night and had a KDR of 23:1, making up about 50% of our kills. Granted my sentry gun did some of that work as well, but still feels good to see that stat up on the board at the end of a round.

Good for you. Usually when you see 1 or 2 players carrying the entire team, if they are actually a team, a couple of the other guys will carry the team the next round. That's how a good team will do it often times. Obviously if you're in a room full of randoms none of the team stuff I talked about matters because there is no teamwork and it is a solo game and 1 or 2 guys will dictate to the rest of the players, much like you did that round.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Good for you. Usually when you see 1 or 2 players carrying the entire team, if they are actually a team, a couple of the other guys will carry the team the next round. That's how a good team will do it often times. Obviously if you're in a room full of randoms none of the team stuff I talked about matters because there is no teamwork and it is a solo game and 1 or 2 guys will dictate to the rest of the players, much like you did that round.

I was talking about carrying in cod being easy compared to BF3 where it's ridiculously hard to carry. Most rounds in BF3 I'll be something like 3:1 k/d and everyone else on a bad team is 1:3. That's frustrating beyond belief seeing how bad everyone else is. Main thing I dislike about bf3. Team actually matters, and it seems I'm always on team 'DUUURRRRRRR' whenever I play.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
1) Learn the map and spawn locations
2) Spawn camp
3) Grenade launchers (noob tube)

Enjoy your positive KD

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I was talking about carrying in cod being easy compared to BF3 where it's ridiculously hard to carry. Most rounds in BF3 I'll be something like 3:1 k/d and everyone else on a bad team is 1:3. That's frustrating beyond belief seeing how bad everyone else is. Main thing I dislike about bf3. Team actually matters, and it seems I'm always on team 'DUUURRRRRRR' whenever I play.

BF3 is a very different game. In general I find people work much better in teams, or at least focus more on playing the objective. Personally I don't care about KDR too much in BF as it can be <1 and I can still be top of the board in terms of points. Of course it also helps that I have friends that play BF so we can coordinate our efforts over Skype.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

I know the feeling. My CoD4 team was insane and now when I play shooters with randoms on my team I find myself kind of giving away the trade secrets of the map so I have the minimal amount of help I need to steal a win from a good team...lmao DURRRR Force ftw!