COD:AW Steam Free weekend

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
It is up for those maybe on the edge of trying this game out,got my doubts about purchasing it but hey a free weekend never hurts for giving it a shot.

36gb download,it appears to be multiplayer only according to Steam.Works for me.

Edit:It's back up for anyone who missed it the last time:)

Last edited:

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Having read a bunch of reviews on the Steam page, I think its not worth my time and bandwith (bandwith is free for me).

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Would try for free but 40 GB seems a long time to wait for everything to download.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now so I can see for myself whats what with this game, will post my opinion later.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Tried it, absolutely horrible, just as the last half a dozen CoDs have been...

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
A free weekend would be long enough to finish the SP part of the game right?

Might be worth the download for that.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
A free weekend would be long enough to finish the SP part of the game right?

Might be worth the download for that.

Free weekends are typically multiplayer only. This is one of those weekends.
So far I've enjoyed my 0.8 hours of playtime. Round ending killcam punch to someones face my 2nd map was cool. It's basically like MW2 or MW3 with TF2 scout double jumping thrown in lol.

I guess I'd be bitter and write a negative review if I paid $60 for it too... but I didn't... so I won't complain about the things that have annoyed me so far. *cough* Scoreboard requiring me to hit tab again to close it *cough* :p

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Free weekends are typically multiplayer only. This is one of those weekends.
So far I've enjoyed my 0.8 hours of playtime. Round ending killcam punch to someones face my 2nd map was cool. It's basically like MW2 or MW3 with TF2 scout double jumping thrown in lol.

Thanks. I was wondering about that after I posted. That saves me a huge download!

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Took long enough to install,finished this morning at 5:30AM.Was originally going for a reinstall of COD WAW actually when i found the free weekend lol.Hope a game that took 4 times as long to install and a night of no Titanfall is worth it.

Still haven't invested in a secondary drive,Titanfall and freaking BF4 take up the majority of my 180gb ssd so of course Titanfall had to be removed so i could give the free weekend of COD:AW a go.:mad:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Took long enough to install,finished this morning at 5:30AM.Was originally going for a reinstall of COD WAW actually when i found the free weekend lol.Hope a game that took 4 times as long to install and a night of no Titanfall is worth it.

Still haven't invested in a secondary drive,Titanfall and freaking BF4 take up the majority of my 180gb ssd so of course Titanfall had to be removed so i could give the free weekend of COD:AW a go.:mad:
Titanfall...UGH! Id just leave that one off forever. :p

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
They slap lipstick on a pig and it runs absolutely horrible,i thought my 770 was a bit much for 768p but i found myself lowering quite a few settings to keep the game from stuttering all over the place.Vram tanks with half the shadow settings and i didn't try any form of AA yet.:eek:

I apply 8x msaa all maxed out settings including 4x DSR in the nvidia control giving me a effective 2732x1536 and BO2 runs absolutely beautiful but this game nope not even at a lowly 768p.Not till i drop enough settings making it look wow.

The game with lowered settings runs worst off vram and performance wise then BF4,a game that just pulls its pants down and craps all this one with glee.

Netcode is off the charts,shots can hit randomly and i saw myself using the EM1 laser gun and sometimes i get some hits on someone,they kill me and in the killcam you don't even see the laser coming out of the gun or even hitting whom just killed you.:eek: It's what what?:eek:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Titanfall...UGH! Id just leave that one off forever. :p

Yeah,everyone and their cousin only play the Attrition mode which is effective COD with Mechs honestly.Frontier Defense is why i jumped back in but like COD everyone is playing TDM.All other modes are dead. One fun mode keeping you in the game but at a cost of 62gb....yeah.Rambo mode in both games can easily be deployed but if the mode requires a brain your pretty much are sitting in that lobby for a while waiting for a game.

Luckily 180gb of my ssd holds the games that matter most to me that i play daily,being BF3,BF4,BC2,WOT,BO2 and Combat Arms with room to spare.:thumbsup:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Well.....Ive only played 3 games of TDM, (since that was the only lobby that would ever fill) but here are my first impressions.

-The P2P lobby system sucks, but we all knew that already from previous games that have used that shitty console crap. Also like Titanfall, the time between rounds is excessively long.

-After playing BF4, AW looks like crap. This is 2014 get with the times already!

-The gameplay itself is actually pretty fun. It is very fast paced and reminds me of Quake 3 Arena, even though I was clueless about the maps I did very well running and gunning in the games I played.

If only it had dedicated servers and a server browser like every PC FPS should, then I would probably buy this game at some point (say $25 max) even though it is ugly as hell.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Lots of folks do, Im just not one of em. :D

I get bored of it very quickly, too many bots and not enough humans playing IMO.

I can't imagine what went though that morons head when he decided "Hey, lets make a competitive online first person shooter and add bots to both teams."

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm not really sure the purpose of the bots other than being cheap fodder for the human players though I do think they add a bit to the game environment as well.

I've never had a problem finding people to play with and since the maps are so small, no real issues with the team sizes either. It's a tad frenetic and kind of silly, but I find Titanfall really fun in short spurts and at 5 bucks I would say I have already more than gotten my money's worth.

Can totally understand not liking it though, I mean it's not like I am saying it's the best thing ever.

KT

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
After playing a few more games and game types I think Ive had my fill already. Earlier I compared AW to Q3A, well that was a terrible comparison. The only things the two have in common are the jumping around and the plasma type rifle, neither of which are as awesome as they were in Quake 3. Plus I think Quake may have actually looked better.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Not buying it. Ghosts was 50% off and it was mistake buying it. You have to be way up close on every object to see any detail. Performance and graphics aside, the game mechanics are shot to hell with bad maps, merry go round spawns, and guns that all fire and play the same way.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
No thanks.

Played it when it was new, and it was garbage* then too.

*Single-player. No idea and no judgment passed on MP.

tinmann

Aug 11, 2012
I tried it for a few hours and uninstalled it. The graphics looked like BO2 but not as detailed. The game looked rushed, felt unpolished.