COD 4: PC Demo Now Available

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Just played it through.

Overall, I found it a little too arcadey and fast paced for me. It is fun but I would've liked it to be a little more tactical. Like I don't even know if there was a way to switch to semi auto firing. And like fenixgoon said, very obviously linear. I never liked COD much. They were fun enough to play but not something to keep playing. But it seems like they spent more time on the multiplayer with COD4 which I'd like to try out. So with such a huge amount of games out or coming out, I highly doubt I'd buy this anytime soon, but it is quite good, and I'd like to play another SP demo and especially a MP demo.

I had no problems with the graphics. Looks good enough to me. And it ran perfect at 1680x1050 with default details (which was medium but most of the options OFF) so I could get away with turning some details up/on.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
shit, I have to put together my new desk tonight so I can power the pc back on to play this....or I could play on the floor....hmmm

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Well, after I updated to newer drivers, and reinstalled the game, I can now run 4xaa at 1440x900 resolution and get an average of 55 fps. So all is good now. :)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Azn
This is based on proprietary engine? The graphics doesn't look as good as Unreal engine. Textures aren't too great.

It was hovering 35-60fps on my 8600gts everything on maxxed 1440x900 16xAF.

I think this game is worse than Medal of Honor:Airborne. Call of duty 2 was better than this.

I had everything max'd and I got decent framerates. I can't say per say, but very little in the way of lag.

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
Talk about a short demo! IMO a waste of time. Game play? blah ... MOHA is better. weapons ... again MOHA. AI ....... yeah MOHA again. Where MOHA loses is EA's lack of support.

Glad I did dl the cod4 demo though ... saved me $50.

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Zbox
This game murders MOHA imo.

How?

Graphics? not even close.

AI? please ... AI in COD4 are idiots

Weapons? nope.... being able to upgrade the weapons in MOHA is nice.

Only thing I liked about COD4 was the sniper rifle.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Plumcuda1
Originally posted by: Zbox
This game murders MOHA imo.

How?

Graphics? not even close.

AI? please ... AI in COD4 are idiots

Weapons? nope.... being able to upgrade the weapons in MOHA is nice.

Only thing I liked about COD4 was the sniper rifle.

lurk moar plz.

CoD4 imfo is more exciting and better than MoHA. That's saying a lot, because MoHA is a great game. I feel at this point, that CoD4 had me at the teatherhooks. Need moar CoD4!!

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
lurk moar plz.

CoD4 imfo is more exciting and better than MoHA. That's saying a lot, because MoHA is a great game. I feel at this point, that CoD4 had me at the teatherhooks. Need moar CoD4!!

people who still use "teh" and "moar" are the ones that should be lurking more...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: ZappDogg
lurk moar plz.

people who still use "teh" and "moar" are the ones that should be lurking more...

lurk moar plz.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
I don't know: I felt rather underwhelmed by the demo.

:confused:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
I don't know: I felt rather underwhelmed by the demo.

:confused:

I changed my mind, n00b. :confused:

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

That's a pretty radical change of mind, going from underwhelmed to thinking it's amazing. I was looking for an explanation why, not you stating the obvious.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
What's up with this constant name calling? Do the mods do anything anymore?

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
How many times did you guys die in the demo?

I have only made it to the first tank and I have died 10+ times. Definitely not a run and gun game. There is so much action it is hard to tell who the friendlies are.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: binister

I have only made it to the first tank and I have died 10+ times. Definitely not a run and gun game. There is so much action it is hard to tell who the friendlies are.

I died once, and thats cause I forgot to run away from a grenade.

I just wish this demo had multi player.

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
I have been waiting for ever for this game to get released since us pc gamers got screwed out of COD3.
So far since I downloaded the demo I play it maybe once a day.
Its pretty good and fun to play and all but I was expecting a tad bit more graficly.
They really hyped the crap out of this game. :(
I guess I am just spoiled after playing Bio-Shock but hey its not to say that I wont be buying this game when it hits the shelves.
out of five stars 5 being the best I would give it a 4.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

graficly.

That could very well be the worst butchering of the word "graphically" I've ever seen. And I'm not even sure that is a word, but we all know what you're talking about ;) Did you play MOH:A? Because I thought that game was great. 4 out of 5 means it's worth picking up then?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Excelsior

I died 3 times, all because I forgot to run away from grenades. One time I actually picked up the grenade to throw it back, but then forgot to release it. :eek:

KT

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Excelsior

I died 3 times, all because I forgot to run away from grenades. One time I actually picked up the grenade to throw it back, but then forgot to release it. :eek:

KT

Yeah, that might sting a bit. :D
I like the demo. I think I'll really like the multiplayer.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
Originally posted by: JPB
Well, after I updated to newer drivers, and reinstalled the game, I can now run 4xaa at 1440x900 resolution and get an average of 55 fps. So all is good now. :)

no kidding? what were your low #s. I was running without any AA and getting from upper 20s low 30s on occasion (around tank with rpgs hitting everywhere) to as high as 120 fps with night vision on just before entering the building and 40-60 everywhere else.

x2 4800+ 2gb ddr800 7900GTKO SC I guess it is my 256mb gpu. I should try it with AA on though..who knows I know in CS:S and HL2 I get way better frame rate turning AA on.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

That's a pretty radical change of mind, going from underwhelmed to thinking it's amazing. I was looking for an explanation why, not you stating the obvious.

Well a lot of it was me playing it on medium, and it was very underwhelming. When I blasted it into Veteran, I really felt immersed--I really felt like running from tank to cars to block of concrete, and that taking cover is an idea. I also used more weapons and saw the bueatiful intracacy the developers crafted these weapons. The Ak-47 in that game is the most beautifully crafted gun I have seen. The sounds are fine. It just took me a while to warm the game, and I expected the game to suck for me, and it did at first.

So yeah.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I downloaded and installed the demo the other night and played it through. It was one of the most fun games I've played in a while. I actually LOL'd when the Apache came in to finish off the T's camped in the building. While I found the graphics to be just "OK" the gameplay satisfaction made up for it. I might play it again and turn down the settings a bit to see if the visuals get any smoother. They seemed just a bit jerky.

My system: 7950GT KO SC, Core2Duo@2.8GHz, 2GB RAM.

I got such a kick out of it that I might actually go pick up COD2 and try it out. :thumbsup: :D

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

I died about three or four times, hahah like everyone else because of grenades. I could never see the freakin thing to pick it up, so as soon as I saw that grenade icon I just ran the fsck out of there. :laugh:

Demo was definitely short, pretty intense though. Not sure what people are saying about the graphics, I think it looks and runs great. What's up with not being able to switch firing modes though? I'm used to having my weapons on single shot for more accuracy.

It is an okay demo, doubt I'd buy the game though. If I wanted a more tactical game I'd play Rainbox Six: Vegas (which reminds me I need to bust that out again), or the Insurgency mod for Half-Life 2, and if I wanted more of an arcade game I'd play Battlefield 2 or Day of Defeat: Source. I guess the demo doesn't give you much of a sense of the whole game but nothing so far stood out to me.

I'd give it a 6/10.