Coca-Cola tastes better than the one sold in the US...Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: adlep
Originally posted by: K1052
HFCS vs cane sugar as everyone else has said

sugar>HFCS any day of the week for soda, tastes so much better

Maybe we should pettition Coke to chage their formula?
People in the US who never been overseas, never tasted the "real" thing :(

More like get the gov to kill the tarrifs protecting the farmers and keeping sugar expensive.

The only time I really drink regular coke or pepsi is if I am not in the US. The real stuff pwns our crap by a mile.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I would disagree. Euro Coke = New Coke = Pepsi.

US Coke > *

This is true only if you like drinks which taste like a sweetish dark sparkling water...

The Euro/Mex Coke has so much more of the flavor...

(At least to me) ;)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I think it's because they know that Americans are already used to Coke and millions are hooked on the stuff, so they don't have to bother. Maybe the better tasting kind costs more.

They make it taste better overseas because they're trying to get everyone else around the world addicted to the stuff :p

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
First, bottled beverages taste better than canned beverages any day.

Secondly, high fructose syrup != natural sugar.

Try brewing your own tea and pouring in the high fructose crap, then try it with sugar. Big big difference.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: blahblah99
First, bottled beverages taste better than canned beverages any day.

Secondly, high fructose syrup != natural sugar.

Try brewing your own tea and pouring in the high fructose crap, then try it with sugar. Big big difference.

So true with the tea!

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
The last Diet Coke (12 pack cans) I bought tastes funny to me. So I'm wondering if they have changed the recipe somewhat. It's not as tart, seems sweeter like freaking Pepsi. Uggghhh

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: adlep
Originally posted by: K1052
HFCS vs cane sugar as everyone else has said

sugar>HFCS any day of the week for soda, tastes so much better

Maybe we should pettition Coke to chage their formula?
People in the US who never been overseas, never tasted the "real" thing :(

actually the real thing is what is in the US. IIRC the formula that coke uses outside of the US was developed and released to the US a while ago. the public gave an outcry and wanted the old formula back, hence it is called coke classic.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
When I lived in Spain, I noticed the pepsi there tasted horrible. I like pepsi here, so I switched to Coke and found it tasted much better.

Fanta orange is extremely popular in Spain, and they make it different, its like 10% orange juice and tastes much better. In Morocco I think the Fanta orange doesnt have orange juice but is super sweet.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
As someone who just brought back 6 cases of Coke from Canada I'm going to have to go with the use of glucose/sucrose as opposed to high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener.

American Coca-Cola has more of a "bite" to it.

ZV

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
For what it's worth, I still have a Coke can from before the New Coke debacle. The ingredients list shows sugar, not HFCS.

Thus, real Coke should have sugar (as well as being in a bottle). I had it like that when I was visiting Australia. There's a big difference and IMHO, it doesn't taste like Pepse.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DAGTA
I've had Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar instead of the corn syrup. It is MUCH better.
Dublin Dr. Pepper, the nectar of the gods.:D Too bad it costs so much to ship though.:(

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
whenever i go to a mexican restaurant, i always get a bottle of mexican coke.. man that stuff is good

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: McGyver
coke overseas tastes like pepsi, thats why i drink pepsi here.

Damn, well I'm glad I live in the U.S. then and drink Coke.

chcarnage

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
Fanta in Switzerland is yellow but in Latvia it's colored orange.

Wrigley's Big Red chewing gum actually isn't really red if you buy it in Germany and it tastes half as intensive than the American original (Picture!)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Funny, no one noticed when they switched from sugar to HFCS back in the 80s...

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp
An interesting little claim sprang up in the wake of the introduction of Classic Coke, one having to do with its sweetener. People swore they detected a change in the flavor between Classic Coke and the original. This gave rise to the rumor that the product had been reformulated, dropping cane sugar in favor of high fructose corn syrup. Depending upon whom you listened to, either the demand for the return of original Coca-Cola afforded the company the opportunity to switch from cane sugar to corn syrup or the whole fiasco of taking original Coca-Cola off the shelves and reintroducing it three months later as Classic Coke was all a brilliant scheme to mask the change in sweetener. According to whispered wisdom, the company had hoped to slip the modification past consumers by having it take place during the original beverage's absence from the shelves. People would be so darned glad to have Classic Coke back that they wouldn't notice it didn't taste the same as original Coca-Cola. (Another twist to this rumor had it that New Coke had deliberately been formulated to taste awful in order to facilitate the switch ? this supposedly gave Coca-Cola an excuse for pulling the original formula and then putting it back on the market after a brief absence, making it look all along as if they were simply responding to consumer demands.)

The change in sweetener wasn't anything that diabolical. Corn syrup was cheaper than cane sugar; that's what it came down to. In 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke, half the cane sugar in Coca-Cola had been replaced with high fructose corn syrup. By six months prior to New Coke's knocking the original Coca-Cola off the shelves, there was no cane sugar in American Coca-Cola. Whether they knew it or not, what consumers were drinking then was 100% sweetened by high fructose corn syrup.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They use the local water which makes the difference.

The best coke I have tried is from Iceland and Greece.

England, Germany, Denmark, all rather pepsilike