CNN: Nuclear program components unearthed in Iraq

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
CNN just chimed in, they (CIA) found items that are significant to the production of a nuclear bomb buried in a back yard in Iraq.

Edit: CNN knew last week, but didn't release it until now per govt. request. They are saying that a former Iraqi scientist led them too it.
Edit again: Was a centrifuge used in production of nuclear bomb.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DukeFan21
CNN just chimed in, they (CIA) found items that are significant to the production of a nuclear bomb buried in a back yard in Iraq.

Edit: CNN knew last week, but didn't release it until now per govt. request. They are saying that a former Iraqi scientist lead them too it.
Edit again: Was a centrifuge used in production of nuclear bomb.

Trying to find it on CNN... (did you see it on the website?)

Andy

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
In big bold letters on the bottom of the screen it said it wasn't proof they were building nuclear weapons.

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: bunker
In big bold letters on the bottom of the screen it said it wasn't proof they were building nuclear weapons.

It's evidence that they were definetely building a bomb, something the administration claimed...they never said "they have a nuclear bomb."

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001

It's evidence that they were definetely building a bomb, something the administration claimed...they never said "they have a nuclear bomb."

Did you even read what I wrote? CNN, your source for info, stated in big bold letters that this was not proof.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Let me help you out.

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
Ah sorry, I read it wrong...someone on another forum posted nearly the same thing but it read:

"On the bottom of the screen it said it wasn't proof they had nuclear weapons."

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
If it was a uranium centrifuge it had little purpose except to refine uranium for a nuclear weapon. The fact that it was buried indicates a desire to hide it from weapons inspectors.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin
If it was a uranium centrifuge it had little purpose except to refine uranium for a nuclear weapon. The fact that it was buried indicates a desire to hide it from weapons inspectors.

You have a degree in nuclear fission? Me too!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Iraqi scientist turns over centrifuge, needed to develop nuclear bomb, that had been hidden in Baghdad. Details soon.

breaking news on cnn.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The real questions will be:

1. Was it a centrifuge for use as described?

2. Was it ever used?

3. When was it last used?

4. When was it buried?

Once we know these 4 questions, then we'll be in a position to agree that it is significant.

Then there's always the other lingering question of... /* putting on obi-wan voice */

"These aren't the WMD you're looking for"

Since without an active nuclear program it's hardly the "45 minute imminent threat". Especially when several other US hostile governments already have nuclear warheads.

I'm wanting to see large (100's to 1000's of gallons) stockpiles of nasty chemicals as promised.

Cheers,

Andy

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
The fact that it was buried is significant itself. As someone said above, obviously it wasn't supposed to be found.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The fact that it was buried is significant itself. As someone said above, obviously it wasn't supposed to be found.

Very true and highly suspect - but like I said, we need to know a few more details yet - including when it was buried.

Personally, I think Iraq's nuclear program has been virtually dead for some time. I guess we'll find out the truth about this "centrifuge" in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Andy

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Riiiight. And if you don't have anything to hide, you wouldn't mind the police searching your house? Hand over your voicemail P.I.N.; if you don't, just the fact that you're trying to hide it means you probably have

(a) a mistress
(b) involvement in an international drug smuggling ring
(b) a high position in an islamic terrorist group

rolleye.gif

If it's a nuclear thingy, it's a nuclear thingy. No argument. But the fact that it's hidden can't and shouldn't be used as solely sufficient implication...

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa

Riiiight. And if you don't have anything to hide, you wouldn't mind the police searching your house? Hand over your voicemail P.I.N.; if you don't, just the fact that you're trying to hide it means you probably have

(a) a mistress

rolleye.gif

If it's a nuclear thingy, it's a nuclear thingy. No argument. But the fact that it's hidden can't and shouldn't be used as solely sufficient implication...

You are right, it was likely a large BBQ Pit and they were keeping it under the sand because it takes up so much space on the patio.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin

You have a degree in nuclear fission? Me too!

There aren't degree's in "nuclear fission", you can aquire a degree in nuclear physics from a select few universities although application of that degree is few and far between. Knowledge of how a centrifuge works and the value of such a piece of equipment to refining and enriching uranium does not require such a degree. In fact the physics behind such centrifuges are often taught in midlevel physics classes in every university in the nation. Although there are other uses for centrifuges, a centrifuge designed to refine uranium (and it's fairly easy to tell if they were designed to spin uranium) then it has very few if any conventional uses.

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
Riiiight. And if you don't have anything to hide, you wouldn't mind the police searching your house?

If the police were searching my house, they would likely have a reason/probably cause to do so. If I had nothing to hide, no, I wouldn't mind them searching my house, provided that there is a reason/probably cause. In the case of Iraq, I think that we do have a reason/probably cause to be searching...

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01

(a) a mistress

rolleye.gif

You are right, it was likely a large BBQ Pit and they were keeping it under the sand because it takes up so much space on the patio.

Could be. Point is the fact that it was hidden isn't really a smoking gun. If it's a centrifuge, or whatever, that can be definitely pointed as being used for nuclear...things...then so be it. But I can just see it now, people screaming that it MUST be something because if it ISN'T, why would they be hiding it? and that's pretty stupid, as I illustrated in my last post.

Jul 1, 2000
Konichiwa -

The insppectors had a right to be there. This shows that Iraq was not acting in good faith. The lack of good faith by the Irzqi government is why the US and one of the largest international coalitions in the history of the world united to remove Saddam.

This could be the smoking gun that you (and the rest of the liberal menace) have been screaming about. Now it is here, and still you whine about it.

Face it... you will never be happy.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Originally posted by: DukeFan21 The fact that it was buried is significant itself. As someone said above, obviously it wasn't supposed to be found.
Riiiight. And if you don't have anything to hide, you wouldn't mind the police searching your house? Hand over your voicemail P.I.N.; if you don't, just the fact that you're trying to hide it means you probably have (a) a mistress (b) involvement in an international drug smuggling ring (b) a high position in an islamic terrorist group
rolleye.gif
Could be. Point is the fact that it was hidden isn't really a smoking gun. If it's a centrifuge, or whatever, that can be definitely pointed as being used for nuclear...things...then so be it. But I can just see it now, people screaming that it MUST be something because if it ISN'T, why would they be hiding it? and that's pretty stupid, as I illustrated in my last post.

The problem is that there are no real household uses for this stuff.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This could be the smoking gun that you (and the rest of the liberal menace) have been screaming about. Now it is here, and still you whine about it.

"could be" ... "is here"

Which is it? Seems your courage grows from the beginning of that sentence to the end.

Face it... you will never be happy.

I appreciate your psychoanalysis, but I pay good money for one every two weeks! :)

As a matter of fact, I most certainly will be happy if this does prove to be the smoking gun. I don't believe a preemptive war was a good idea in the first place, but I'm willing to concede that it is a good thing that Saddam is out of power.

And if the US can be legitmized on the scene of world politics by proving that their hypothesis of WMD was correct, I'll be content indeed.

Keep your ASSumptions to yourself, thx.

Oct 16, 1999
This is hardly a smoking gun. Everyone suspected Iraq was not in compliance. If this is indeed contraband then it's certainly evidence of the obvious. It still does not address the imenent threat Iraq supposedly posed, of the 'proof' of such that Bush claimed to have before the war. And unless they are sitting on more information, if this is all an Iraqi scientist who worked in Iraq's nuclear program (assumption on my part here) could lead them to over a week's time, I think it says a lot about the actual state of that program.